Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Umx pt-17

Old 05-07-2015, 07:32 AM
GBLynden

Default Umx pt-17

These videos are for the E-flite UMX PT-17 Stearman with AS3X Technology. I talk about my first impressions of this plane and do some demonstrations with it, including take it on its maiden flight with John behind the camera and his son Will cheering me on.

Complete Review:

Maiden Flight:

Unboxing:

Last edited by GBLynden; 05-09-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Post that flight video GB.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:13 AM
GBLynden

Done!
Old 05-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

It sure didn't roll! But flew nicely overall.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:37 PM
GBLynden

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
It sure didn't roll! But flew nicely overall.
That is a very true statement!

One guy watched it and said he nearly choked on his Cup O Noodle while watching that aileron roll. Another guy said he could have eaten a Cup O Noodle in the time it took to do that roll!
Old 05-24-2015, 06:54 AM
GBLynden

Here is a flight review with my plane by my flying mentor. It mostly just fun flying

Old 08-23-2016, 03:41 AM
Griff Murphey

I am a gonzo flyer, took up the hobby 3 years ago at age 64. I have been a scale modeler since age 4, though. So I like gentle flights, I have to say this is a hot ship compared to the Flyzone WW-1s. I have had it 8 months and logged 80 flights. I give it high marks for repairability. The taped together fuselage is great. One small issue I have is the very poor Velcro strip holding the battery. I have a rubber band on the nose to hold on my battery. I have a Flyzone DR-1 with almost 500 flights and its Velcro is still fine. It's been stuck in a tree twice pulled out once by a Texas cloudburst, wet and dried out, and pulled out of a neighbor's tree by my yard guys. [Sidebar: never ask the yard guys to do a model rescue... If you do be sure you have lots of glue].

I really like the plane - I regret having put so much wear and tear on it so far due to flying in too tight airspace around trees and houses. Flying in an open field is a lot more fun if less adrenalin stimulating.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:55 AM
Citabria32Yankee
Citabria32Yankee

I’m considering this for my next brushed-powered model. That Rage Staggerwing was a complete disaster for me.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:15 PM
Griff Murphey

Default Micro UMX Stearman

These are still my favorite go to everyday flyers. The old beat up one has logged 261 flights and my new one has 40. Fly over grass in open areas, on calm days. I personally have ailerons set at 10 percent and fly with all my flight controls on the right stick, so basically I fly coupled aileron-rudder. This is due to the fact that I started out flying the simple tower WW-1s that do this. Incidentally I have the new Fokker D-7 from Tower, it's pretty docile, a little hard to trim, very light little plane best on still days. It's so light, and seems so sturdy, I think it's going to be a real long lasting model. Mine has ten flights on it, zero damage.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

I haven't flown my PT-17 (or anything) since about this time last year. Yep, the roll rate sucks but I love this bird for slow relaxed flying and touch and goes. For UMX aerobatics I have the UMX Pitts S1, Habu EDF, Aerocommander Shrike (still NIB) and the T-28. As much as I hate foam I really like how these little UMX birds fly with the AS3X. I'm also finishing up the Willy Nillies Super Sport balsa kit that is getting the full electronics package I bought on eBay from a UMX Pitts S1.

Joe
Old 10-09-2019, 04:29 PM
Griff Murphey

It takes me about 9 months to build a scale park flyer stick and tissue. Free hobby time is my issue. I build them then get scared of flying them. Foam is an investment of $ but the built ups are kinda harder to risk in the air... sort of regret that. But thatís The way it is.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
I build them then get scared of flying them.
I hear ya on that one. I've had a few that turned out much better than I thought I was capable of producing. Most of them I sold without flying. I have a ParkScaleModels Monocoupe 90a that I did pretty much like the one on the website. It came out so nice it became a display model even though I only need to put a battery in it and fly. It was finished years ago. Never flown.... I'm not at all afraid afraid I'll crash it. Most of my aircraft damage comes from transport to the flying area or doing something stoopid like dropping a TX through the wing. I'm embarrassed to say I've done that more than once......

Joe