ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

T28 Trojan

Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

One of our guys in my club has a piece of scrap linoleum that he unrolls and lays out on the grass field we use for takeoffs. A portable runway. Still lands it in the grass, but allows for takeoffs by ROG.....
Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 AM
whipple
Memento mori

Originally Posted by thehaze View Post
Do you do anything to protect the aileron servos and linkages? Or is it not really a problem? I can't get the plane to taxi at all. I'll slowly apply the throttle and just as it starts to move the plane tips onto two wheels (the front one and either the left or right wing) and the prop bites into the ground.
I took the gear off of mine before the first flight, so hand launches and belly floppin' is the norm.

After pushing a landing I shouldn't have, I needed to replace one aileron clevis horn and the associated aileron pushrod. After spending over a week trying to track down the parts and them telling me they didn't stock them, and recieving some help from the folks on WattFlyer I found them.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...upercub_parts/

The aileron servo control horn is in PKZ1132
The pushrod/clevis can be cut from HBZ7128 (I used a needle nose plier to bend it to the correct shape).

Someone on here advised to use an oversize zip-tie formed into a loop then glued to the wing to make a "skid" to protect these parts, but I haven't yet figured out how to make it work.

Besides, I ordered extra replacement parts, so I'll never have the same repair again.

Whipple

Last edited by whipple; 04-27-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I've heard of a few people with stock servos or hs55's that strip out on landing... but I'm using hxt900's and haven't had any issues...

ps
Ran my t-28 into a funjet today at full throttle...(95mph) metal motor mount broke and motor came out, deadsticked fine... no other real damage... funjet is toast... my prop cut the funjet in half....

SK
Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
robinhouston

Originally Posted by thehaze View Post
The field I fly from is not very smooth and I find that I have trouble getting the T28 to roll on the grass freely. Would the landing skids from the PZ Corsair work with the Trojan. Anyone here belly land their T28 exclusively? Any tips?

Thanks,
I looked at the F4u things...wouldn't fit IMO so I don't use anything but a little duct tape behind the cowl. I like to belly land in soft high grass(8-10"), the plane never touches the gound. I was doing bellys in a cow pasture last Friday that the cows had eaten down to the likes of a golf course green, it slide real nice and looked good but I'd rather have it plop and stop.

Here is one of my vids that show a typical hand toss and belly landing in cushy grass. The second plane is a power 10 with the stock prop and gear and flaps. The ESC burned out at the end. Still had control and the plane was ok.

Rob

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkGfpc-La88[/media]
Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
I've heard of a few people with stock servos or hs55's that strip out on landing... but I'm using hxt900's and haven't had any issues...

ps
Ran my t-28 into a funjet today at full throttle...(95mph) metal motor mount broke and motor came out, deadsticked fine... no other real damage... funjet is toast... my prop cut the funjet in half....

SK
Combat with the T-28.....now THAT's novel!

Not exactly a fair fight, was it? You seem to have had an advantage.....
Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Well, I just got a phone call telling me my T-28 has been shipped. Now to wait for the FedEx truck.....
Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Default Bad

Hi once again fellow pilots
Bad news follows:
Ive totalled my beloved Trojan.
I was being very foolish, and spinning and flipping at quite a low altitude, then she just went nose first, into the hard earth.
This is my second crash with my Trojan in 6 months. I feel a bit, low.

Moving on..
Wing is dented + cracked.
Fuselage is also dented + cracked in numerous places + split down the centre towards the front on the plane.
Firewall was disintegrated.
So was the cowelling.
Front wheel turning mechanism has just basically gone.
ESC thrown out of plane, all the inside of the fuselage is cracked and dented as well towards the front.

Ill attach some pictures.

I made a pretty good repair when i clipped that tree.

I reckon this time it's going to cost.

Tell me what you think.

I suppose you cant help but chuckle. Lol. I guess i'll just mess about with my trusty Cub and Spitfire in the meantime.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P290409_20.24.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	99922   Click image for larger version

Name:	P290409_20.25.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	99923   Click image for larger version

Name:	P290409_20.25_[01].jpg
Views:	175
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	99924   Click image for larger version

Name:	P290409_20.26.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	99925   Click image for larger version

Name:	P290409_20.27.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	99926  

Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Clangador
Neophyte Pilot

At least it's fixable. I've crashed my Apprentice so many times that it's more glue and tape than anything else.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:30 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JoeTheFlyer View Post
Bad news follows:
I was being very foolish, and spinning and flipping at quite a low altitude, then she just went nose first, into the hard earth.

Moving on..
Fuselage is also dented + cracked in numerous places + split down the centre towards the front on the plane.
So was the cowelling.
ESC thrown out of plane, all the inside of the fuselage is cracked and dented as well towards the front.

Tell me what you think.

I suppose you cant help but chuckle. Lol. I guess i'll just mess about with my trusty Cub and Spitfire in the meantime.

I dunno (and doubt) that you have a good supplier over there in the UK, but there is a company called RCSlot here that will sell you all the bits you need for a good price.

You can get a wing and a fuse for $60 shipped. That goes for the Corsair, too - and it is a great place for props and other bits that break often.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

My T-28 is on the FedEx truck headed to me. WOOHOO!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

OK my Trojan just arrived, and the box says it has the 25A ESC. Isn't that the one that has a history of problems?

I can't see the label on the ESC thanks to the adhesive that was smeared all over it, so I can't tell if it is the 30A and the box is wrong. Guess I'll be ordering a UBEC before I fly her.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:37 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
OK my Trojan just arrived, and the box says it has the 25A ESC. Isn't that the one that has a history of problems?

I can't see the label on the ESC thanks to the adhesive that was smeared all over it, so I can't tell if it is the 30A and the box is wrong. Guess I'll be ordering a UBEC before I fly her.

The box was from the original production run - if you look closely to the ESC inside it is the 30A Switching model in black shrink wrap as opposed to the 25A Linear with the fancy (crappy) heatsink. You're good to go Kev.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:46 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Josh,

Is there a way to tell? All I see when I look at the ESC (which is a pain to get to, I might add) is the white goop, with a small section on the left and right sides......

Don't wanna sound stupid or paranoid, but I'd like to not take this plane home in a bag......
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Look a post above yours... 25amp has the crappy heatsink...

SK
Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

That's just it, I can't see much of anything......
Old 05-01-2009, 01:13 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Here's a picture of the 25amp esc... maybe that'll help

and Here's a picture of the 30amp one...

SK
Old 05-01-2009, 01:17 AM
thehaze
Crash Technician

Mine came in a box that also said it had a 25A ESC. But on closer inspection it was indeed the 30A one. I had to scrape a bit of the goop off of the ESC and then I could see the model # to confirm. I think there was also some sort of ESC manual in the bag with the rest of the manuals and it was for a Eflite 30A model.

Most likely if your T28 is new then you have the 30A version.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:18 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

you may have to take the cowl off to see it... I don't know where the stock one is... I've never actually looked at one stock....

SK
Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Steve, thanks for the pics. I have the 30A. WOOHOO! I can see enough of it to see I have the new one. Sweet!

Now....what to do with that Dimension ParkBEC I ordered......(wouldn't Chellie be so proud? )
Old 05-01-2009, 01:46 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Steve, thanks for the pics. I have the 30A. WOOHOO! I can see enough of it to see I have the new one. Sweet!

Now....what to do with that Dimension ParkBEC I ordered......(wouldn't Chellie be so proud? )
Lol when you add flaps and landing lights and a wet bar in the back seat you can use the BEC
Old 05-01-2009, 01:50 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
you may have to take the cowl off to see it... I don't know where the stock one is... I've never actually looked at one stock....

SK

There is a slot in the foam fuse halves just below where the battery slides in - I put my ESC there (Mine is a 40 though but it fits the same) and just tack it in place with a couple dobs of hot glue. Then I use packing tape on the inside of the battery slot because otherwise pulling the battery in and out with the balance tap in the way tends to rash out the foam and eventually the battery 'holder' is loose.

I am actually gonna be rebuilding mine from new parts over the weekend so I will snap a few shots.

josh
Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

mine just sits up front inside hanging loose... which was a good thing cause I plowed into my buddys funjet at aprox 95mph and when the motor fell out, it didn't rip any wires or anything....LOL

SK
Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Lol when you add flaps and landing lights and a wet bar in the back seat you can use the BEC
Now THAT is funny, I don't care WHO you are.....LOL
Old 05-01-2009, 11:23 PM
RoadKingAl
RoadKingAl

Originally Posted by JoeTheFlyer View Post
Bad news follows:

Moving on..
So was the cowelling.

Tell me what you think.

This is no big deal at all, I have some Foam glue and also foam glue. I have 3 t-28's, one unit has a crack from the factory, just was not enough glue placed between the haves. I did not even think about returning the bird. Just a simple glue down the center line. Seems you may need a plastic motor mount. $3.00 US funds........................
Appears you may have about 30 -60 minutes to repair. I would use some epoxy on the wing, it will continue to work very well. I had a plane that nosed in at full power. I picked up every tiny part of foam, glued it back together works great.

Al
Old 05-02-2009, 12:30 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

LOL Good for you Kev its Cheap Flight Insurance

Quick Reply: T28 Trojan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11379 seconds with 18 queries