ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

T28 Trojan

Old 09-05-2009, 03:57 PM
hrtpaul

Hi guys. I posted this elseware but got no respone so I thought I'd try here. I'm new to all this RC stuff. Now I'm gonna get a HZ Supercub to learn on. But I managed to pick up 1 1/2 Trojans earlier this week. Ones complete (stock) and the other needs all the electronics, motor etc. I'll fly the stock one after the Cub. But I was thinking of making the other one the fast one that will come after I've mastered the stock one. I will be using the DX6i transmitter. I have gone through this thread and come up with this setup.How does it sound?

The Fast Trojan
Motor: Turnigy SK-3536-910
Motor Mount: HXT-C35-30
ESC: Tunigy Sentry or Plush 40A
Battery: 2200mAh 3S 25C Zippy Flightmax
Receiver: AR6000
Prop: ??? I need help with this
Corsair Prop retainer with T-28 hub
Aileron/Elevator/Rudder Servo: ??? absolutely no idea on this either. Help here too.

Sorry for the long post but as I said I am a newb so I'm gonna ask dumb questions. Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers Paul
Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Sounds good on the fast one. I just got a letter that my Turnigy Motor/ESC, etc. is at Customs, I will go pick it up on Monday, and hope to post some info regarding the setup.

I thiink Robjinhouston uses the 11x7E prop with the 35-36C with excellent results. As for servos, use Hobby City servos and order them now, it takes a few weeks for delivery. I believe the HXT 900's are the ones you would use for the Trojan, but I don't use them (yet) so someone else will have to help you there.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...wer_Search.asp

And DO learn on the SC first like you said. The stock Trojan will keep you satisfied for quite a while too though.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:51 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

First crash on the trojan. Came in short on a landing and clipped the edge of a roof separating the body from the wing.

The only real damage is that it pulled the mounting plates out of the fuse and I could not locate the rear chunk of foam and the rear plastic insert that goes into the fuse. (I reinforced the rear mount on the wing so it was fine and the front fuse mount was still attached to the wing with a screw.)

Q1 - Do they sell replacement parts to repair the wing / fuse otherwise I will have to fabricate my own.

Q2 - Wondering out loud if I should have used a nylon attachment screw that might have sheered in the crash and caused less damage.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:12 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Hey Clint,

I've had the wing pull out, it seems to be a common occurrence. I posted some pics on how I reinforced the area in this thread, somewhere.....

I don't think a nylon bolt would help much, since the bolt goes thru a plastic housing. But, YMMV.

You can get a new wing from Horizon: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4420
Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Hey Clint,

I've had the wing pull out, it seems to be a common occurrence. I posted some pics on how I reinforced the area in this thread, somewhere.....

I don't think a nylon bolt would help much, since the bolt goes thru a plastic housing. But, YMMV.

You can get a new wing from Horizon: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4420
Wing is fine - damage is to fuse. Seriously thinking about simply gluing wing to fuse with urethane based glue.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:31 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Wing is fine - damage is to fuse. Seriously thinking about simply gluing wing to fuse with urethane based glue.
I used epoxy to glue the screw attachment bracket to the fuse and white urethane glue to reattach the rear portion of the wing to the fuse. (I put packing tape on the outside to contain the urethane glue as it expanded.)

I also used a little epoxy to snug up the tail section of the fuse that had begun to separate.

I am going to let it cure overnight but I belive it is ready to fly.

Clint
Old 09-05-2009, 11:19 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

hmm... I run that 35x36x910 motor on 4cell and 12x6, 11x7, 11x4.7sf props.. on 3cell I'd prob go with the 1100kv version and run the same props...

I'm running hxt900 servos on all surfaces... If you want good stuff, you can either use midsize - hitec hs82's or smaller - hs65's... I think the hs82's are better because of cost...

SK
Old 09-05-2009, 11:22 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
I glued mine on with Foam Safe CA, Zap brand....

Since none of the electronics are inside, I didn't see the need to take the wing off... Glueing it helps reinforce it too...

SK
Old 09-06-2009, 02:53 AM
hrtpaul

Thanks Numbthumbs and ministeve2003 for the advice. I really should learn to fly before I worry about hotting up the Trojan............but I can't help myself
Old 09-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Has anybody successfully used a 2S battery with the stock Trojan ESC? If so, how?

I have the ESC in my Depron foamy now, and the 3S I have is too strong for the motor, and so I have to use 2S, but it does not recognize the 2S because of the LVC. In the directions it only states how to initiate the LVC, but not how to get rid of it...
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
//Numb

EDIT- I only have 9x 4.5 props now, and with an 8x4 prop the Amp draw is perfect, but on Sundays everything is closed here in Germany and I am dying to maiden the foamy hehe!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 AM
rgaynor

I upgraded my T28 with the same motor (Turnigy sk 3536-910 and it works great. I actually used the same prop that came with the original plane (9.5x7.5), but you could easily run an 11x4.5 or 12x6 with the 40A ESC. May need to check the clearance with the 12x6
Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

the props I tend to use on that SK35x36-910 is a 11x5.5, 11.4.7, 11x7, 12x6... all on 4cell... I can't remember but I think the 12x6 pulls around 38amps... like 560watts...

SK
Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Just got my SK 35-42 and 60A ESC and 30C 3000Mah batts from HC. Can't wait to get her set up this week. Already got the motor mounted on the original mount (just had to drill a couple extra holes).

EDIT---The original mount was shredded by the SK 35-42 on the first Watts UP test. I then made a new mount out of plywood that you can see in the video. Took me about five minutes with the Dremel.

Here is a video of the WattsUp testing. Was my second time using it and at first I only did one second full throttle, then I did it again (only the result shown in the video) holding it for three seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcNpQr-CD9k

30C Turnigy battery and 11x7 (TGS Sport) Prop at three seconds full throttle:

491Watts---41.09A

20C Himmelsturmer battery and 11x7 (TGS Sport) Prop

411Watts---35.9A

Looks like it will be fun hehe.

Video of test flight will be posted as well.

//Numb

Last edited by Numbthumbs; 09-09-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

So, here is the short test flight with the motor. Short and sweet. Rain unfortunately hindered being able to test it with the 30C 3S battery. I was able to test it later though(no vid though) and it just screams. Way more punch than what you see in the video here.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_nJ80GA3g[/media]

Enjoy!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Numbthumbs View Post
So, here is the short test flight with the motor. Short and sweet. Rain unfortunately hindered being able to test it with the 30C 3S battery. I was able to test it later though(no vid though) and it just screams. Way more punch than what you see in the video here.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_nJ80GA3g[/media]Enjoy!
Glad to see you got it up and running - Great setup, huh? I love it. I am taking mine to the beach this weekend (Gulf o' Mexico) and hope to get some good shots skimming the water and high speed lol

GRU
Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

GRU that set up simply rocks. I got another few packs in after that video and the unlimited vertical is just so damn nice. The 30C pack really shines there. My last pack I spent going straight up until I could hardly see it and then just killing the motor and gliding down nice and slow.
Kife edges at less than half-throttle are a hoot as well. Great recommendation!
//Numb
Edit, here is the plane with the 30C battery, big diff...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQAAIlf-7Y

GRU I have switched it out for the 35-36C, it has 23.5% more power according to my Watts Up tests...it is noticeably stronger. I have both motors and tested them side by side with exactly the same set up.

Last edited by Numbthumbs; 09-12-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:03 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Its been a year since i started this thread, and im glad to see it still going strong . Im back once again people, i bare great shame. The Trojan has crashed, today . I'm not boasting, but i feel i am now a very advanced pilot, with almost 4 years under my belt. But today, it all happened so quickly, wrong stick input sent her flying into the ground. Need a new motormount, cowl, and to glue my wing on again, and to get my white electrical tape and patch her wounds up. Ordered another skeleton for my Spit as well, i hope by the weekend i can get them both skybound. Would love another plane, but im saving for a more powerful motorbike for when im 17.

happy flying

joe

oh yeah forgot to mention anybody got any info on this 3 blade prop ive seen for the trojan and corsair on squadronleader.co.uk

heres link: http://www.squadronleader.co.uk/prod...x_6%29_PKZ1015

might get one it looks sexy >.<

Last edited by JoeTheFlyer; 10-07-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 PM
rgaynor

Fear not Joe - all of our planes have a death sentence. It is not a question of if, but WHEN!

Sorry to hear about your crash.
Ron
Old 10-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Good luck getting her airborne again! We all know how that goes unfortunately...
Old 10-11-2009, 04:28 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

I have a question for all you T-28 flyers. Can the T-28 be flown to any degree with rudder and elevator alone? Does the rudder induce enough roll to make turns?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I have a question for all you T-28 flyers. Can the T-28 be flown to any degree with rudder and elevator alone? Does the rudder induce enough roll to make turns?
I suppose it could. The question is why would you? You won't roll it with the rudder though. It is an easygoing aileron trainer (good as second plane). Not a first trainer though.
Hope that helps!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:03 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

I have tried this and it works but obviously not the primary control to bank. If you set it up on low rates with minimum control throw on ailerons, you will not have any trouble if you have mastered some other 3 channel plane like AB3 or SC.

Note: AB3 is a great step toward ailerons. In beginner mode it is docile adding in up elevator when turning. In expert mode you can stand it up on edge in a turn.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Numbthumbs View Post
I suppose it could. The question is why would you? You won't roll it with the rudder though. It is an easygoing aileron trainer (good as second plane). Not a first trainer though.
Hope that helps!
The reason I ask is just to understand if this plane could be used as a 3 channel as a stepping stone to 4 channels. I'm just anxious to get into the air without having to spend the money on a three channel plane. I've flown a micro 4 channel a little bit but I'm over controlling on ailerons. I guess I need to concentrate on rudder and elevator.

I've seen some on here that have flown the T-28 with no previous experience and want to know the unknowable; can I do the same?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I've seen some on here that have flown the T-28 with no previous experience and want to know the unknowable; can I do the same?
Do you have someone you can buddy box with? If so it would be a safe bet that you can fly it.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:54 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Jumping from Micro to T-28 is a huge stretch. Issue is not the ailerons, rather the speed of the plane and judging an appropriate flight circuit at your field.

Aileron is no big deal - flies just like a 3 channel but is more responsive. (you don't need to even consider the rudder except on the ground) Moving from AB3 to Swift was easy for me except that the Swift must be flown faster and I kept stalling the Swift (while blaming it on radio and defective servos. Swift flies great but has an unforgiving stall characteristic in sock trim.)

The fact that you say you have only flown a micro 4 channel a little bit and you are overcontrolling the plane suggests your attempt at a T-28 would be a very short flight.

Get a more forgivng 3 channel plane like the SuperCub or AB3 - learn to fly circuits and then move up to a T-28 when you are ready for more speed and aerobatics. (What you save in repairs will more than pay for the SC or AB3)

Clint

Quick Reply: T28 Trojan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11335 seconds with 13 queries