ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

T28 Trojan

Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Turner i spent a year solid flying my SuperCub and had amazing fun with it. I now fly a Trojan and a Spitfire and the Trojan is quite a large jump from the Supercub, as cbatters said, the issue would not be the ailerons but rather the speed that the Trojan is capable of. I've had my Trojan for a year now and both of my major crashes have been down to misjudgement, mainly not recognizing how fast it was actually flying and then hitting a tree etc.. it is not designed in anyway to be flown by somebody without enough experience, practice on a SuperCub for a few months, i also hear the new SuperCub is a LiPo version .
Old 10-11-2009, 06:19 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Just re-maidened the Trojan after my repairs, all seems well. Was way to windy so had to land early, now ive got to order a new gearbox and spinner for the Spitfire and hope for some decent weather.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:52 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JoeTheFlyer View Post
Turner i spent a year solid flying my SuperCub and had amazing fun with it. I now fly a Trojan and a Spitfire and the Trojan is quite a large jump from the Supercub, as cbatters said, the issue would not be the ailerons but rather the speed that the Trojan is capable of. I've had my Trojan for a year now and both of my major crashes have been down to misjudgement, mainly not recognizing how fast it was actually flying and then hitting a tree etc.. it is not designed in anyway to be flown by somebody without enough experience, practice on a SuperCub for a few months, i also hear the new SuperCub is a LiPo version .
Supercub with Lipo is a completely different animal. More power than 8 cell NIMH and much lighter.

Half throttle on LiPo version is similar to full throttle on 7 cell NiMH. 30-40% longer run time when cruising and a handful when zooming at full throttle. LiPo really makes the SC come alive and you no longer have to worry about topping off the battery just before flying. (LiPo have near zero self discharge whereas NIMH lose 10-15% of charge within the first couple of days.)

Clint
Old 10-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Do you have someone you can buddy box with? If so it would be a safe bet that you can fly it.
There is a local club but it's further than I want to drive to fly. I have a couple large areas within a mile of my house. Membership is rather steep but I will join eventually if I really get into this. As it turns out, they did a demo day today, just a short distance from me so I went to have a look.

cbatters, I see what you mean about the speed. There was a T-28 and a Corsair there. I saw the Corsair fly but not the T-28. That corsair is fast and really covers a lot of ground quickly. The roll and pitch rates are much more scale like compared to the Micro I have been trying to fly which is the new ParkZone P-51. That thing reacts instantly and is so small and light that it's hard to keep up with. It's a little beat up but the fuse and wing are still in one piece. I need to glue the receiver brick back in and give it another go. I've been hand launching but I can see that I need to do some taxiing to get used to the rudder. I haven't touched it in flight.

Thanks for all the input guys. I've been thinking about the SC LP and may go that route. I'm going to try and figure out this micro and then decide which way to go.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:42 AM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

T28 uses the same motor as the Corsair so the speed and characteristics of the Corsair are probably similar to the T28, saying that, i have never seen a Corsair being flown in person. If it was me i'd buy a Cub and get used to larger RC planes rather than flying this micro P51, i think you'll find flying a Cub is much more fun than it may seem at first, especially with this new LiPo version. About the club that's totally up to you, i never joined one and taught myself how to fly. (On the SuperCub ). I still have mine and it's now 3 years old, still flies great.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 PM
~KevJ~

Default my jolly rogers T28

hey guys im new round here but thought id share a pic of my Jolly rogers scheme on T28.. its actually a merged T28 after i had a head on mid air with a friend of mine at the club.. he bought a new one , i had less cash so i rebuilt two into one, started with about 8 pieces and had to put new power system in it and added flaps also.. its a mix between my old t28 (white/red navy version) and his t28d (airforce version) im happy with the results tho, it still flies great and has crazy vertical and can hover into wind with flaps down, only down side is reduced run time which im looking to fix with bigger battery size..

my inspiration..

My results..

Thanks for looking everyone..
~KevJ~
Old 10-26-2009, 06:12 PM
C130 Load

Now that's NICE!!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:36 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

wow thats one of the sexiest t28's ive ever seen
Old 10-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
I have a question for all you T-28 flyers. Can the T-28 be flown to any degree with rudder and elevator alone? Does the rudder induce enough roll to make turns?
I just did three flights on my T-28, playing with the rudder among other things.
It induces a nose-down pitch when it's deflected.
To left, it's not all that bad but to the right it gets pointing toward the ground very quickly.
Based on my experiences with low-winged planes in the old single-channel days, the dihedral would need to be increased a lot to make it flyable without ailerons.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ParkZoneT-28-11.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	112145  
Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 PM
cjg

I've had some success with rudder and up elevator combo to make gentle turns without the ailerons. But then again, why not use the ailerons
Old 10-26-2009, 11:30 PM
~KevJ~

Originally Posted by C130 Load View Post
Now that's NICE!!

Originally Posted by JoeTheFlyer View Post
wow thats one of the sexiest t28's ive ever seen
thanks guys, my dad is retired and after i rebuilt it it was sent over there with the above picture of the real thing and thats how he gave it back, he has done a great job with his first attempt at airbrushing, unfortunately his p51 gunfighter went in hard last weekend and so now he has a mustang to repaint..

lol this is what i gave him..

sidenote, i also tried flying rudder only the other day and did not really enjoy the experience.. i think as long as you have some hours up on the sim and are calm when you take off the first time you would be fine flying a t28, i have learnt on a t28 but after many many hours on realflight. other than that i would suggest a old head standing next to you
Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 AM
C130 Load

Originally Posted by ~KevJ~ View Post
thanks guys, my dad is retired and after i rebuilt it it was sent over there with the above picture of the real thing and thats how he gave it back, he has done a great job with his first attempt at airbrushing, unfortunately his p51 gunfighter went in hard last weekend and so now he has a mustang to repaint..

lol this is what i gave him..

sidenote, i also tried flying rudder only the other day and did not really enjoy the experience.. i think as long as you have some hours up on the sim and are calm when you take off the first time you would be fine flying a t28, i have learnt on a t28 but after many many hours on realflight. other than that i would suggest a old head standing next to you
Wow excellent work. What did he do to give it such smooth finish?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM
~KevJ~

Originally Posted by C130 Load View Post
Wow excellent work. What did he do to give it such smooth finish?
it has 4 coats of a water based polyurethane on it after the paintwork..
same brand as this one.
[media]http://images.orgill.com/200x200/9602608.jpg[/media]

it really hardens up the foam exterior and protects it from bumps and scratches, adds a little weight tho but that is a non issue when you add 400 watts more power
Old 11-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Here's a couple of videos I took of a couple of guys flying T-28s in 20 mph wind last week. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d300KoF5oGs
Old 11-03-2009, 04:55 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Here's the other one [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9nWBZdM3wU[/media]
Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

I love doing that!
Fortunately the Antelope Valley Wind Festival runs from January 1st to December 31st, so there's lots of opportunities!
(But the past 2 weeks have been almost completely wind free. !!!!! )
Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Well I'm building yet another T-28. This one is simple - Turnigy 35-42 and 60A esc with hxt900 servos. My friend gave me a nice aluminum motor mount which bolts right up. Not sure where he got it likely ebay tho.

I went a bit overboard on the wing - it's got flat CF bonded w/30min. epoxy then covered in 3m durapore tape and coated in finishing resin. I'm almost done with it. It's strength is epic. Top of wing red, bottom to be flat black tomorrow. Krylon fusion has worked OK for me.

I really never get tired of the Trojan. I think this is my 3rd.

Name:	aluminum_mount.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	112924   Click image for larger version

Name:	trojan_wing.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	112925   Click image for larger version

Name:	trojan_guts.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	112926  
Old 11-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

AVTI T-28 race on the 7th...
The only way to tell one plane from another (except mine) was to put stripes on the wings.
Din't work all that well! One of the guys started flying someone else's plane right after takeoff. Crunch!
The wings on these things do bend when flown agressively!
Mine got overtaken. But was repaired and made the next heat.

Name:	T-28Race-08.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	113103   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-28Race-09.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	113104   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-28Race-03.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	113105   Click image for larger version

Name:	T-28Race-05.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	113106  
Old 11-10-2009, 12:27 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
AVTI T-28 race on the 7th...
The only way to tell one plane from another (except mine) was to put stripes on the wings.
Din't work all that well! One of the guys started flying someone else's plane right after takeoff. Crunch!
The wings on these things do bend when flown agressively!
Mine got overtaken. But was repaired and made the next heat.

Man that is awesome. I wish I could put mine into a race lol but it might be unfair :P

I am getting a little crazy with my Dos Equis Trojan - doing inverted on the Deck stuff - it is harder than some might think because the dihedral plus gravity makes it want to dive as soon as you get it inverted, so there's always a good amount of down-elevator you have to use to keep it level and that makes it a little dicey in comparison to a symmetrical winged plane... but it sure is fun. With the 11x7 and the SK35-42 it is pretty much capable of anything you can imagine. Except a decent flat spin. I have tried and tried to get more than 2 or 3 rotations out of it but the trainer in it doesn't like to spin out.

I have plans to build a 4th Trojan and donate this one to my personal crash museum pretty soon - just gotta think of a paint scheme for it lol

Pylon racing, now that's an idea!

GRU

Name:	1242431708194.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	113107  
Old 11-10-2009, 01:22 AM
~KevJ~

hey gru which version of the 35-42 are you running with that 11x7?
i have the 1250kv version on 10x5 that im going to try 4s on this week when my new batteries arrive
Old 11-10-2009, 02:51 AM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

Default T-28 racing

To kinda level the playing field, we insist on the stock motor and prop, and only a 3-cell battery.
With a Power 10 motor, these things are -awesome-!
At this race, a guy with lots of fast pylon experience seldom got above 10 feet during his heats, and actually bounced off the ground on a downwind pass!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:26 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

hey gru which version of the 35-42 are you running with that 11x7?
i have the 1250kv version on 10x5 that im going to try 4s on this week when my new batteries arrive
I run the SK34-42 1000Kv version with a 30C 3S 3000mAh.

LOL man that will be a missile - dunno about 1250Kv on 4S and a 10x5 that might put you in the danger zone hombre but I would sure like to watch!

GRU
Old 11-10-2009, 04:39 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
I run the SK34-42 1000Kv version with a 30C 3S 3000mAh.

LOL man that will be a missile - dunno about 1250Kv on 4S and a 10x5 that might put you in the danger zone hombre but I would sure like to watch!

GRU
on 4cell, I've tryed 10x5 and 8x8 props on the 1250kv version... I think you'll prob like 9x6 for a little better speed, the 10x5 is rediculous on thrust (aka very fun)

Ps, that motor will not handle the stock plastic mount (breaks the mount), if you don't have one, you'll definately need the metal mount...

SK
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 AM
~KevJ~

hey thanks for the comments guys, good info.

i have upgraded to the metal mount so that part should be ok..
its interesting that you have already tried the 1250kv on 4s thats good to hear for me i guess, i wasnt sure if she would just go bang when i took off the first time, ill run my wattmeter over her with afew different props first tho just to check obviously.
so did you find a noticable speed difference with 4s? ive never used a 4s battery on anything yet..
i cant wait (first time ever that hobbyking order is late and im hanging for my new batts.. )

i have a couple of 9x6 props here waiting for my tucano to be finished so i can test with them, i was worried that they would be too small to push much air past the big t28 cowl but i guess im wrong.. ill try the MAS and APC versions.

Last edited by ~KevJ~; 11-10-2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: dyslexic.. :)
Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

hey thanks for the comments guys, good info.

i have upgraded to the metal mount so that part should be ok..
its interesting that you have already tried the 1250kv on 4s thats good to hear for me i guess, i wasnt sure if she would just go bang when i took off the first time, ill run my wattmeter over her with afew different props first tho just to check obviously.
so did you find a noticable speed difference with 4s? ive never used a 4s battery on anything yet..
i cant wait (first time ever that hobbyking order is late and im hanging for my new batts.. )

i have a couple of 9x6 props here waiting for my tucano to be finished so i can test with them, i was worried that they would be too small to push much air past the big t28 cowl but i guess im wrong.. ill try the MAS and APC versions.
Couldn't really say how they do on 3cell, On all these SK motors, I've only done 4cell...lol

I'm sure they run fine on 3cell, however to get the same Watts, you end up drawing more amps with a bigger prop... more amps = more heat, I don't like heat...LOL

I think I run it around 600watts, 40amps, on 4cell and does pretty good...

SK

Quick Reply: T28 Trojan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11474 seconds with 21 queries