Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Charger Help Please

Old 03-07-2010, 02:37 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Default Charger Help Please

This glorious UK weather provided a chance for me to fly my PZ Spitfire in quite a while, but it seems my battery doesn't want to charge. The charger (which is plugged into the car) indicates that the battery is charged, when this is clearly not the case as it's only been charging for 5 minutes. Ive also had this problem before with my PZ Supercub, infact i still have this problem sometimes.

Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:58 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Do you have any way to measure the voltage of the packs?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

A relative has a voltmeter which i can use, i take it the battery pack should read 10.8v ?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:07 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

It would help if you said exactly what battery and what charger you're talking about.

But I guess that it's the 9 cell NiMH battery that's available from Parkzone. If so it should measure at least 12v, preferably about 13V if it's fully charged. 10.8V is only a nominal value that you might see part way through a discharge. If it only reads that it is not fully charged.

Steve
Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Yes it's the 9 cell NiMH, and i'm using the standard charger that the RTF Spitfire comes with. I have no issues charging LiPo's it's just these NiMH packs, i have 3 and they all do the same (The other 2 packs i have are 7 cell). The charger indicates that each battery is fully charged after about 10 minutes, i then go back an hour or so later thinking its brimming with charge, i get to the field and im gliding the Spitfire back down after 2 minutes of flight. The 9 cell pack has only just started recently doing this as well, it's been fine for well over 15 flights.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:28 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Btw Slip where abouts in the N.Staffs do you live? I Live in Stoke .
Old 03-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Hughes500Bob
Full Scale Pilot

It sounds like your NiMH battery needs to be cycled to wake it back up. Just because it says it has voltage under NO LOAD .... does not mean it will not fall flat as soon as a REAL LOAD is applied to it.

NiMH packs don't like to just sit around.

http://www.hangtimes.com/rcbattery_faq.html
http://www.hangtimes.com/id28.html

Bob
Old 03-09-2010, 05:22 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Parkzone stock chargers are not very reliable. I've owned 5, had 3 fail, one dysfunctional right out of the box. Like yours it would seem to try to charge and terminate early every time, like 5 minutes. No cure, it's junk.

If it does work on a known good battery the battery could have an issue like a bad solder joint or cell. If the battery will charger up properly on a good charger then your charger is bad.

Checking cell voltage on NiMh is mostly worthless. A damn near dead NiXX battery will read good voltage until you put it under a load. I have (had-gone now) some that seem to charge fine, read fine, and won't pull any load at all.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:45 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Put the 9 cell NIMH batteries into the round file and get some Zippy 3 cell lipos 1000mah 15C Lipos only $7.59 US each , I hate NIHM batteries Been nothing but trouble for me, I went all lipos now, and have no more battery problems Now i just need to replace the batteries in my cordless drills to lipos and i will be happy those rechargeable drill batteries are a joke, they go dead overnight, they will charge up, but have limited power and time, i hate them take care, Chellie

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...00mAh_3S1P_15C
Old 04-08-2010, 04:54 PM
JoeTheFlyer
The UK's Red Baron

Haha Chellie at this rate i may have to transfer to LiPo's because all 3 of my NIMH batteries are now faulty (At least i think ). Maybe once i've got my motorcycle test out the way i will invest in some more LiPo's and some EC3 connectors .