Night Flying Discuss night time aircraft illumination, methods and equipment.

Night Flying

Old 04-15-2015, 04:39 PM
PRNDL

Default Night Flying

A magical night in a Singapore Park....best viewed full screen.

https://youtu.be/zq4MdPlR0Qo
Old 04-19-2015, 05:47 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Excellent video. I think I need to blow the dust of my Swift for some night flying in the next day or so
Old 04-19-2015, 11:05 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

PRNDL, we are neighbors brother,i used to belong to the club you fly at hackensack valley flyers in moonachie nj. they moved to glenpoint area but i went north[ny] to rcrcc. i'v also considered joining bergen county silent flyers in paramus. but the drive to paramus would be equal and more traffic then to drive up north.

anyway,we should get together and fly sometime,heres a video of my maiden flight at tenafly high school ball fields. it's where i go for evening flights but haven't done much night flying. seeya around, stu

Last edited by tobydogs; 04-19-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:10 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Thumbs up

I'll bet that draws some crowds!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:28 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Old 04-20-2015, 01:17 AM
PRNDL

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
PRNDL, we are neighbors brother,i used to belong to the club you fly at hackensack valley flyers in moonachie nj. they moved to glenpoint area but i went north[ny] to rcrcc. i'v also considered joining bergen county silent flyers in paramus. but the drive to paramus would be equal and more traffic then to drive up north.

anyway,we should get together and fly sometime,heres a video of my maiden flight at tenafly high school ball fields. it's where i go for evening flights but haven't done much night flying. seeya around, stu
Hi Stu,

I fly mostly at he HVRCC club field in Haverstraw NY. If your a member of RCRCC you probably know Bruce L the president of the Haverstraw club. Otherwise I fly at Dunkerhook park in Fairlawn the permitted BCSF field.

The MSS club fly indoors once a week at the Teaneck Armory.

There's another club that sounds similar to the BCSF that your probably thinking of that fly at the Overpeck Park in Teaneck....I'm not a member of that club.

If your going to the BCSF's Warwick Airport fly-in I'll be manning the pilot registration booth and flight line.

Jerry Q
Old 04-20-2015, 03:53 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

yes,i do know Bruce and a lot of the gang there.great club and more laid back compared to rcrcc.

i went to the warwick fun fly a few years ago and wound up winning 4 of the raffle draws. it was very close to the end of the drawings and i had little boxes to pick as prizes as all the big boxes were already won. one little box was a castle creations 120 amp hv esc for boat no one else picked. i won again and took the 100amp castle esc for a boat.

at first i thought what the heck,maybe i'll get a boat. when i got home and priced them online i discovered i won almost $500 bucks worth of esc'c. i took them to hobby town and swapped them for 2 100amp air esc's.i also won a castle hat and a usb connection for castle to hook up to a computer:roll eyes: seriously....it was a laugh with the guy taking pictures of winners by the 4th win.

the flying at the airport was great,tons of planes setup at the field but really only a few flying. i had the uproar and sig hog bipe flying there. great day,great fun. what is the date for warwick and i'll see you there. stu
Old 04-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Azarr
Electric Junkie

Anyone have any info on the green laser being used in the video?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:01 PM
PRNDL

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
yes,i do know Bruce and a lot of the gang there.great club and more laid back compared to rcrcc.

i went to the warwick fun fly a few years ago and wound up winning 4 of the raffle draws. it was very close to the end of the drawings and i had little boxes to pick as prizes as all the big boxes were already won. one little box was a castle creations 120 amp hv esc for boat no one else picked. i won again and took the 100amp castle esc for a boat.

at first i thought what the heck,maybe i'll get a boat. when i got home and priced them online i discovered i won almost $500 bucks worth of esc'c. i took them to hobby town and swapped them for 2 100amp air esc's.i also won a castle hat and a usb connection for castle to hook up to a computer:roll eyes: seriously....it was a laugh with the guy taking pictures of winners by the 4th win.

the flying at the airport was great,tons of planes setup at the field but really only a few flying. i had the uproar and sig hog bipe flying there. great day,great fun. what is the date for warwick and i'll see you there. stu
You did real good with the raffle. I was helping with the raffle last year when my ticket was pulled for the grand prize.....I didn't feel right about it so I asked that another ticket be pulled. It wound up being a women that had already won 2 other prizes....go figure.

The Warwick show will be held Saturday June 20th....see you there!!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:54 PM
jupobotam

I wan't to try night fly
Old 09-29-2015, 03:57 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jupobotam View Post
I wan't to try night fly

Start with a package deal ARF/RTF inexpensive foam model already equipped for night flying.

A properly lit up model is necessary for success.
If in doubt; add more lights.

Its best to have an assortment of colors to aid in orientation. A simple foam flying wing I have uses red on bottom, white on top, green on the vertical stabs and blue at the back. Very easy to tell which way it is pointed at all times.

Pick an area with double the open flying area you normally use for the model when flying in daylight for your first night flights.
It sometimes helps to put dim lights at the corners of the runway. that depends on how well you can see the runway.