ARF versus RTF - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

ARF versus RTF

Old 10-02-2008, 01:26 AM
jksecunda
Jeff

Default ARF versus RTF

I purchased the E-Flite Apprentice 15e RTF w/Dx5e Radio and am having trouble with it cause of the 4 channel part of the plane. I would like to get the ParkZone Radian PNP Electric Brushless Glider. It says the only item needed is the Dx5e Radio, which came with the Apprentice 15e. Does anyone think Im getting in over my head with this glider? It is 3 channel, which I think may be easier to fly than the 4 channel.

What do you think?

I think it also needs a lipo which is also the same one that is used for the Apprentice.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:00 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

hmm, after giving it some thought, i think i would go for the ARF. with my first ARF i learned alot from building it. but its your choice.
~pvt
Old 10-02-2008, 02:19 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

If you're thinking about sail planes, and you're living in Fort Wayne...

http://www.loftrc.org/

more specifically...

http://www.loftrc.org/funfly.html
Old 10-02-2008, 02:40 AM
jksecunda
Jeff

I thought about the ParkZone Radian PNP. What does PNP stand for?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:42 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Plug aNd Play

Meaning, you just need a receiver and a battery.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:11 AM
jksecunda
Jeff

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
Plug aNd Play

Meaning, you just need a receiver and a battery.
Did you look at the plane? Does it look like a good one?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=pkz4775
Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

yeah, looks real good to me. likely rather good for a beginner as well
Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Mars_2000

Hey Jeff,
My suggestion is similar to pvtzemerak.
If possible, you should avoid RTF sets as:
- usually you are overpaying regular prices and getting in return med/low quality accessories - especially Tx, Rx and servos.
- Tx from such set is not developmental and you will figure out quickly that you want more functions, channels or mixers etc...
- motors are usually matched to only this particular RTF model and it may be difficult to use it again in future in new model (this rule works not always but very often).
- ARF allows you to configure plane as you wish what guarantee you best performance in flights.

It is much better to "invest" some more bucks into good, modern radio, get ARF and supply it with best configuration and enjoy flights.

Cheers.

PS. I have also started my RC hobby from RTF set - this one exactly: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/bellanca.htm

A month later I have replaced everything inside it (motor, battery, controller, receiver, servos) and bought Futaba 9C radio. So, as you see I've made from RTF an ARF and also I have wasted a lot of money because of my original choice.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:11 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

He already has the new packaged spektrum, and was looking for a plane to go with it. the powered glider, in this case, I think is a good choice. Especially with a club that specializes in gliding so close that, at least on the website, looks friendly to beginners.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Mars_2000

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
He already has the new packaged spektrum, and was looking for a plane to go with it. the powered glider, in this case, I think is a good choice. Especially with a club that specializes in gliding so close that, at least on the website, looks friendly to beginners.
OK.
So, in this circumstances this ARF glider from HorizonHobby is reasonable choice.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I would say quite reasonable. He won't be able to do anything you would need a computer radio for, but he already the one he has for now should do pretty well.

One of the other plusses, is that if he was to upgrade to something like a DX7, he wouldn't have to do anything to this plane (other than binding) to keep flying it.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Leo L

Jeff,

A lot depends on where you will be flying and with whom. The glider that you mention is a LARGE plane, having a wing span of over 6 ft. It is definitely not a park flyer. You must fly it at a club field or on a large tract of private land. If you are just learning to fly, this is not the best choice. You would do much better by getting the Multiplex EasyStar, which you can get as a PNP also.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:03 PM
jksecunda
Jeff

Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
Jeff,

A lot depends on where you will be flying and with whom. The glider that you mention is a LARGE plane, having a wing span of over 6 ft. It is definitely not a park flyer. You must fly it at a club field or on a large tract of private land. If you are just learning to fly, this is not the best choice. You would do much better by getting the Multiplex EasyStar, which you can get as a PNP also.
Thanks for the info. I fly at a couple of places that are big but probably not as big as you describe. How big a piece of private land would you need?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Leo L

The minimum space recommended for parkflyers is 600ftx600ft., which is approximately 8 acres. To fly a plane with a 6ft wingspan, you would realistically need a field that is twice the length and width of the parkflyer field, i.e.: 1,200ft.x1,200ft, or 32 acres, or 1/4 mile x 1/4 mile.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Leo L View Post
The minimum space recommended for parkflyers is 600ftx600ft., which is approximately 8 acres. To fly a plane with a 6ft wingspan, you would realistically need a field that is twice the length and width of the parkflyer field, i.e.: 1,200ft.x1,200ft, or 32 acres, or 1/4 mile x 1/4 mile.
I think the Radian would be a wonderful choice. Its two main values will be slow flight and stable flight. Gliders are wonderful trainers and e-gliders are outstanding trainers.

Leo, your suggestion of field space based on wing span really doesn't apply. I fly gliders with 11 foot wing spans. How big a field would you project I need? Kansas? Only kidding.

In fact wing span has very little to do with the space needed. Space needed is a function of pilot skill and speed. A 10 foot wing span glider flying at 10 mph (14 feet per second ) needs less space than a 3 foot wing span plane flying at 60 mph ( 88 feet per second).

The glider would take a leisurely 40 seconds to travel that 600 foot field, while the plane would cover it in 6 seconds. Now we see why gliders are excellent trainers. You have a LOT more time to think and react and don't need a lot of sky.

Of course once you learn to thermal a glider, then your flying space goes up and out and you have the whole sky as your playgound. Your flying space will typically include overfly space as you will have a tendancy to take gliders higher and further out than electric airplanes.

I have flown my gliders well beyond 1/2 mile out and often take them up 2000 feet or more. Flights vary from about 3 minutes to about 90 mintues, but those are my pure gliders that don't have motors. With a motor glider you can fly for hours with a little luck and a little skill.

I like my electric planes but I LOVE my glider. :-)

The reason glider fields tend to be larger is to accomodate launch equipment like hi-starts and winches. And ot give more space for less accurate landing. On a motor glider that does not apply but on a pure glider, you need some extra room if you don't have accurate landing skills as you can't "go around" for another attempt.

As it is, I land my gliders flying straight at me and can typically easily put them down in a 10 foot circle. In competition, the circle may be as little as 5 feet, or half a wing span.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Preparing to launch - at slope Nov 06.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	80079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed A with Legend May 04 # 2 red.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	80080