Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go! - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Pancake

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Yeah, it seems like the left wing (your right when looking at it) hangs a little lower than the other. Granted, the plane's frame seems to be cock-eyed to the left, but that shouldn't matter, the wings should still be aligned regardless.

Yeah, it's actually the right wing that is misaligned... notice the wing root that it shoud line up with... and the horizontal stabs seem to be misaligned as well, but it's hard to say...
Again, maybe that was just an "assembly" error, but it makes one wonder...
Old 05-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Pancake

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
And the F-15 on their site is a GOOD assembly job compared to some of the others, like the Catalina..

So how about posting some pics of your EDO F-15s that show everything aligned correctly... just so we know it is made right...
Old 05-29-2008, 01:38 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Why, gladly!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Edomodels F-15 in grey scheme.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	67428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Edomodels F-15 in NASA scheme.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	67429  
Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Neither have any alignment issues. The white one has about 50-60 flights on it, and I have taken the landing gear off.
The grey one has a Don's Wicked Motor in it, and goes maybe 80-90mph on 4s. About 50 flights on that one, too. I cooked the original motor trying it on 4s. It won't take it. They never said it would, either. Aside from using a new motor and a higher rated ESC on one of the two planes, all the servos, batteries, motors, electronics are all running strong after all those flights.
Suffice to say, I am very, very happy with what I have gotten from Edomodels, and I expect more of the same from the Phantom.

Lest anyone think I am secretly shilling for Edomodels, I don't sell them or any other brand, and I say many nice things about other brands, too. But I am very psyched to get my Phantom. They are making the boxes now, should ship soon...

Name:	Img30444.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	67430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img30756.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	67431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Single fan exhausts through bifurcated exits on the Edo F-15.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	67432  
Old 05-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Terry Till

"But I am very psyched to get my Phantom."
Easytiger, how did you accomplish that? Can you share any details?
I haven't spoken to them in a few days. I'm sure they're getting a lot of e-mail from people like me wanting the F-4. I was going to leave them alone until they were shipping.

Terry
Old 05-29-2008, 02:52 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Mine has not shipped YET...
Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 PM
Terry Till

Again, thanks. Can you share any details on how you were able to purchase it?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Pancake

Nose and canopy are actually scale and correct, just not correct for the Navy version of the plane. It's an early Air Force version.

Can you point us to any pics of an F-4 with that type of canopy?
I've only seen the type where the RIO can't see anything behind him.

As for the F-15, they say "Brushless Motors", but you said "a Don's Wicked motor"...
is there one motor, or two?

If they were available, plane only, for about $125, I'd seriously consider it...
The F-15 is the same length as the GWS, and the wingspan is the same as the guys that are clipping the GWS wing... and then you do get 5 servos... the GWS is ~$120, so I guess $150 isn't too much... I just don't need another 3s 2200... and if it's only one motor, it should be about $120...

The other issue is... what do you do if you break something beyond repair?
Are spare parts available?

Back to the F-4... what I'd really like to see is an F-4 the size and quality of the GWS A-4... with lots of power, of course! The EDO one is just too small for me... it's smaller than my EF-16!

:Edit:
OK, I pulled my head out and did a search for GWS F4, since my friend said he saw a GWS F4 somewhere on the web (he couldn't remember where... he's new to RC).
So, GWS is doing the F4 the size of the A4!

Last edited by Pancake; 05-29-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:52 AM
EDOMODELAllen

Default EDOMODEL more nice attractive pictures

Originally Posted by Cpt.TYPHOON View Post
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 412609" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 align=middle width=125>
</TD><TD class=alt1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

we have more pictures of F4 Which is appreciated by our customers. so for lots of

hobbies I want to put out once more. ( remarks: I have sent the pictures in the

FORUM RC GROUP) :-)

Thanks for your suppport to our E-DO model until now. and wair for and believe ours. Thanks very much. for others recommand. we can only say that we can see and feel the truth and practise. the real products are good in fact. and as everyone knows. no one can perfect. so why have that serious words. only feel pity.

But everything will goes well. we are too. now we have lots of good feedback. thanks. We will design and produce lots of good models for all of you.

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	67652   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	67653   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4J1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	67654   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4E1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	67655  
Old 05-31-2008, 02:58 AM
EDOMODELAllen

Default producing and shipping

Neither have any alignment issues. The white one has about 50-60 flights on it, and I have taken the landing gear off.
The grey one has a Don's Wicked Motor in it, and goes maybe 80-90mph on 4s. About 50 flights on that one, too. I cooked the original motor trying it on 4s. It won't take it. They never said it would, either. Aside from using a new motor and a higher rated ESC on one of the two planes, all the servos, batteries, motors, electronics are all running strong after all those flights.
Suffice to say, I am very, very happy with what I have gotten from Edomodels, and I expect more of the same from the Phantom.

Lest anyone think I am secretly shilling for Edomodels, I don't sell them or any other brand, and I say many nice things about other brands, too. But I am very psyched to get my Phantom. They are making the boxes now, should ship soon...
We are producing lots of now. because lots of expecting. and our guys are work extra time for the samples to satisfy our customers. so so. if you have any need, please feel free to let us know, We wil try our best.
BTW. You could get soon.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:48 AM
dk_aero

Nose and canopy are actually scale and correct, just not correct for the Navy version of the plane. It's an early Air Force version.
Not correct for any variant... The first Air Force F4's were "C" variant. IMO, the E-Domodel doesn't reflect the "droopy nose" that's a distinguishing F4 characteristic. The IRST pod below the nose should be close to inline with the fuselage bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
f4 variants 2.bmp (137.5 KB, 1233 views)
Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Sure. Some guys just like to argue...if the best you can find to criticise this plane is that you think the nose is a little off in outline, then it must be a very good plane indeed.
By the way, you can see from the side photos that whoever assembled the two prototypes for the photo did not put the nose cones on at the right angle. But anyway, it's a semiscale model, I have no complaints about the experience, I do not plan to enter Top Gun with it.
On the internet, people criticize everything. That's fine, but it does not mean too much to me. I doubt anyone who was serious about buying one of these is going to not purchase one because they think the nose is a little off.

I will enjoy mine.

What's next for Edo? Can you say?
Old 05-31-2008, 02:28 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
Can you point us to any pics of an F-4 with that type of canopy?
I've only seen the type where the RIO can't see anything behind him.

As for the F-15, they say "Brushless Motors", but you said "a Don's Wicked motor"...

If they were available, plane only, for about $125, I'd seriously consider it...
The F-15 is the same length as the GWS, and the wingspan is the same as the guys that are clipping the GWS wing... and then you do get 5 servos... the GWS is ~$120, so I guess $150 isn't too much... I just don't need another 3s 2200... and if it's only one motor, it should be about $120...

Back to the F-4... what I'd really like to see is an F-4 the size and quality of the GWS A-4... with lots of power, of course! The EDO one is just too small for me... it's smaller than my EF-16!

OK, I pulled my head out and did a search for GWS F4, since my friend said he saw a GWS F4 somewhere on the web (he couldn't remember where... he's new to RC).
Single fan...both this one and the F-15. Sorry to confuse you. That point needs to be clear.

Well, several dealers have the F-15 with no electronics for right around that price. I think you do get the fan, but nothing else. I'm sure some will stock the F-4 that way, too. What they won't have is the foam alone for $35, that's just not going to happen! Going rate for painted foam kits like these without electronics is $100-125. Seems fair to me, but to get everything included for anothe $75, including a battery, I like that deal better.

One dealer at least, on ebay, stocked all the parts for the F-15.

The GWS one, well...who knows when it will actually come out, and what it will actually look like and fly like when it actually does get released. If it does actually get released. But it's much larger than this one, and it's a kit. They are just very different airplanes. But I guarantee this...I will have worn out two sets of tires on my Edo F-4 and will have put in a few hundred flights on it this summer, and will have upgraded it to 90mph performance, before anybody even possibly receives their GWS F-4 kit. So, if you can wait for a long time, if you don't mind building a kit, and you don't mind being GWS's developement team, figuring out what motor and fan will actually work, to end up with a plane that is probably not superior, then have at it. It IS a bigger plane, though.
The GWS F-15 is a much, much bulkier plane than the EDO F-15...I think it may be deceptive because the GWS is so off-scale, to compare dimensions. The GWS one is carrying around a lot more weight and drag, it's a bigger plane, the EDO one is smaller, and gets around just fine on the single fan, carrying much less weight and drag.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:59 PM
dk_aero

Default Easy, Tiger!

Sure. Some guys just like to argue...if the best you can find to criticise this plane is that you think the nose is a little off in outline, then it must be a very good plane indeed.
By the way, you can see from the side photos that whoever assembled the two prototypes for the photo did not put the nose cones on at the right angle. But anyway, it's a semiscale model, I have no complaints about the experience, I do not plan to enter Top Gun with it.
On the internet, people criticize everything. That's fine, but it does not mean too much to me. I doubt anyone who was serious about buying one of these is going to not purchase one because they think the nose is a little off.

I will enjoy mine.

What's next for Edo? Can you say?
Not arguing... just making the point that indeed, the nose is not correct (after you assured as it was...). If the plane's a good flier and of good quality I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. If the nose starts to bother me that much, I'll fix it (like I said in my first post on this thread).

My dad worked at Pt. Mugu and I can remember vividly the VX-4 "Playboy" F4 (they also had a "Playboy" F14 later on). VX-4 also had a "Bicentennial Bird" that was painted up to look like an eagle.

BTW, I think the F15 looks very good!! (better to me than the GWS)

~ DK
Old 05-31-2008, 04:10 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by dk_aero View Post
Not arguing... just making the point that indeed, the nose is not correct (after you assured as it was...). If the plane's a good flier and of good quality I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. If the nose starts to bother me that much, I'll fix it (like I said in my first post on this thread).

My dad worked at Pt. Mugu and I can remember vividly the VX-4 "Playboy" F4 (they also had a "Playboy" F14 later on). VX-4 also had a "Bicentennial Bird" that was painted up to look like an eagle.

BTW, I think the F15 looks very good!! (better to me than the GWS)

~ DK
No problem. It looks correct to me, for the short-nosed versions...but it's not an exact scale model, and it's certainly an arguable point...the plastic model guys sit there and argue for hours with three-views and calipers about the contour of the nose of the new Tamiya F-4, or whatever...even with accurate documentation and such! So I will at least concede that even if it's close, it's far from perfect!
I don't think either paint scheme they picked is accurate for the short-nosed F-4, either. But I can live with that, too.

The F-15 is one of my favorite models. The grey one just seems a lot more scale than the NASA one, because it's painted, and it has all the little nomenclature decals, whereas the white one is white foam, decorated with stickers, and I did not put on all the additional decals.
I'm sure the GWS one makes some people happy(and it IS a twin), but having flown both, and seeing both side by side, to me, it's no comparison.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Pancake

Actually, this one would be convenient as a handlauncher.

It will be interesting to see how the GWS one turns out, especially since they're designing it for one 75mm fan... which means everyone will power it with a 70mm, like the A-4 (unless it has room to stuff a 90 in it)... and then we'll have to see how the exit duct affects thrust...

I just wish this one had a slightly bigger wingspan...
After flying my A-4, I just like the presence of something that size.
But, everything has its price... Voltage = $$, Amps = $$, Thrust = ($$ X $$) + $$... or something like that
Old 05-31-2008, 06:45 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

I think this would be great for hand launching, the F-15 is. On the F-15, you can make the gear easily removeable by putting in a couple of plywood plates and screwing the LG assemblies to the plates rather than gluing them in. Then you have a "convertable". The gear on the F-4 looks to be the same style.
They should include an extra nose strut, though, as the F15 strut is breakable where it is notched for the set screw. Mind you, on normal landings on pavement, it's fine, but if you are messing up the landings, or flying off grass, it can break.
You nailed it, on $$=Watts=everything else...these planes are sized and powered as a good comprimise. But it's not all about money, either. They don't put in a 500 watt system not only because it would cost more, but because a huge portion of these types of planes will go to beginners, first time jet pilots, and it's much better that they are able to fly it successfully than have them pile it up on the first flight because it goes 80mph. There is always room for more experienced pilots to upgrade it.

I do understand the desire, the "presence" of a larger aircraft, for sure. Smaller has certain advantages, and certain disadvantages.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Terry Till

Default Got pricing Info

FYI, I inquired with William (Colito925) at www.turbofanelectrics.com, who carries E-Domodel products. Here is what he wrote me on pricing:

Receiver Ready f-4: $190 shipped in the lower 48 states
Bare airframe f-4 with fan unit: $115 shipped in the lower 48

These are both painted airframes.

I got his permission to post this.
Hopefully he will let me know when they have arrived.

Terry
Old 06-01-2008, 02:30 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Not to sidetrack, but if you want to read some discussion on the GWS F-4 and see some preliminary pictures, you can view them in this thread over at RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866409
Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

It looks fine, but my experience has been that GWS may show a single prototype, like in this case, and the plane may either never actually be produced, or it may be a year or two before it gets released, and that the engineering may leave something to be desired, and you will be guinea pigging the plane for GWS. That being said, you won't be able to find anything CHEAPER than GWS, if you already have the electronics. But at this point, the GWS F-4 is just so much vaporware, and the Edo is real and here and now, ready for this summer's flying. If and when the GWS one ever comes out, like maybe sometime after Christmas, I'll take a closer look at it then.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 AM
dk_aero

I may have to agree with the Tiger on this one...

If the GWS F4 will be anything like their A4... I recall it seemed like forever for it to finally get into production. Also, we'll probably be paying somewhere around $100 for the bare airframe and fan:

http://epyaya.com/product_info.php?c...oducts_id=2540

We'll also probably want to go with a 3300 mAh battery for that 75mm fan... so it starts to add up for that "cheap" GWS, eh?

Bare airframe for the edo f-4 with fan unit: $115. Assembled painted... 2100 mAh battery... Hmm...

On the other hand, I do like the GWS F4 profile better (and the full flying stabilator! ).

Size doesn't matter that much to me (except that smaller generally means cheaper to operate). Flying characteristics and a scale look will get my attention.

What a hobby... Oh brother...

Old 06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Pancake

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Not to sidetrack, but if you want to read some discussion on the GWS F-4 and see some preliminary pictures, you can view them in this thread over at RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866409

Yeah, that's what I was referring to... I guess I could have provided a link....
Old 06-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Pancake

Bare airframe for the edo f-4 with fan unit: $115. Assembled painted... 2100 mAh battery... Hmm...

The $115 version doesn't include the battery...
He said "includes fan unit".... is there a motor on it?
Old 06-02-2008, 07:10 PM
SkunkyMagoo
Newborn Rotorhead

The $115 version doesn't include the battery...
He said "includes fan unit".... is there a motor on it?
Not likely. I wouldnt want one anyways. I would like to see some video in stock form and go from there with the arf kit.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 AM
Pancake

Also, we'll probably be paying somewhere around $100 for the bare airframe and fan:

http://epyaya.com/product_info.php?c...oducts_id=2540

We'll also probably want to go with a 3300 mAh battery for that 75mm fan... so it starts to add up for that "cheap" GWS, eh?

Well, the price you quoted is including the fan AND motor. It seems like GWS may be working out the bugs with their stock setup, and I've seen video of stock A-4s flying pretty well (not fast, but well).

Also, I never said anything about the GWS being "cheap".
I like the way my A-4 flies (and I'm currently using a $20 fan/motor combo on 4s!), and I'd like an F-4 that is in the same class, albeit faster.

If someone is ordering their batteries from an "offshore" site, the 3s 3300 is about $10 more, so that isn't a big deal...

Kit with motor = $95
-or-
Kit w/o motor + Don's Wicked 4000 (outrunner, quieter, nicer!) = $95
40A ESC = $45
Paint = $20
4 HS-55 servos = $60
3s 3300 25C = $45

Total = $265

So, if the EDO F-4 minus radio is the same price as the F-15 ($199... it's smaller, does it cost the same?), then the GWS setup listed would cost about $65 more... with better servos, a better battery, a better ESC.
With this setup, you could use your existing 2200 packs, or go with the 3300 for longer flights.

If the GWS F4 costs the same as the A-4, "I think" it's well worth a little extra than the EDO.
On the other hand, if you bought the EDO for $115, how much would it cost by the time you bought a motor, ESC, servos, and battery?

If I destroy my A-4 beyond repair, but the equipment isn't damaged, it costs $60 (+ paint ) to replace (including the fan).

So there are the pros and cons... take your pick... I don't care which it is...

I don't "argue" about this stuff... I'm just being objective, rather than subjective, reactive, compulsive, or fanatical (Don't go taking that personally, those are just things that aren't objective)

My "personal opinion" (combination of objective and subjective) is that I'd build a GWS for a $65 or less difference, as long as it would go a reasonable stock speed (60+?).
You can probably make this smaller F-4 go faster for the same money, but if I want small and fast, I already have EF-16s to fill that role... and I can build a 100mph+ one for < $200, including 4s battery (if price is what it's about).

MY OTHER OPINION:
If someone doesn't have, or want, anything bigger (GWS A4/F-4) and/or faster (EF-16), wants to stay in the "smaller" class to save money on upgrades, or just has to have an F-4 "now", the EDO could probably be a fine jet (don't know until I see it fly).

Hopefully GWS will have their F-4 finished by the time I'm done building A-4s and F-16s...

I wouldn't mind looking into the possibilty of the EDO F-15.
I think it looks better than the GWS-15.
If it flies at least as well (if not better), then I'd be very interested in it to fill the F-15 "spot"... once I finish some other projects.

I just hope the GWS F-4 benefits from lessons learned from the A-4...

OK, I'm done!

Quick Reply: Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10607 seconds with 21 queries