Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go! - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go!

Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 AM
dk_aero

Oh geezzz... I shoulda been a little more detailed I guess...

Pancake,
Basically I was trying to point out that I thought the GWS would end up costing about the same as the EDO in the long run.

Thanks for the cost breakdown... and being objective. I know everyone won't like what I like or I'll like what anyone else likes... (EasyTiger doesn't mind the nose on the EDO... but it drives me nuts! )

I tend to drift toward the smaller size because I just don't have that much hangar space!

I like the GWS because I think it has a better scale outline, I can assemble it the way I want and paint it the way I want.

so... I'm in a quandry

BTW, is there a thread on your A4?

~ DK
Old 06-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Terry Till

Default Video of F-4

MY OTHER OPINION:
If someone doesn't have, or want, anything bigger (GWS A4/F-4) and/or faster (EF-16), wants to stay in the "smaller" class to save money on upgrades, or just has to have an F-4 "now", the EDO could probably be a fine jet (don't know until I see it fly).

Pancake There is video:
http://www.56.com/u48/v_MzUyNjE4MTM.html
This was a prototype. I don't know anything else though.
Terry
Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 AM
Pancake

Originally Posted by dk_aero View Post
Oh geezzz... I shoulda been a little more detailed I guess...
No worries... I just wanted to get this sorted out... just so people can weigh the facts and make a decision.

I tend to drift toward the smaller size because I just don't have that much hangar space!
That is a definite concern... it would be nice if GWS improved on the "removeable wing" thing... I ended up gluing mine "just in case", but people are flying with the removeable wing without any issues that I've heard of...

I like the GWS because I think it has a better scale outline, I can assemble it the way I want and paint it the way I want.
Yeah, the A-4 kit itself is a great kit.
One day I was looking at it, and thought that an F-4 just like it would be great... that was just before this thread started... and just about the time that GWS announced they're doing an F-4.

BTW, is there a thread on your A4?
Not yet...
I'm not really doing anything special with it, just trying to see if there are some economical options to make it a little faster.
The $20 HC Fan Unit works, but it pulls about 50A on 4s and puts 700g out the tailpipe. They claim 850g, but I could be losing 150g with ducting.
I'll be testing the AP700DF in it (~$50), and they claim it puts out the same thrust at 26A... if so, that would be a good setup for OK speed (I seem to be doing ~70mph with 700g thrust), and longer flights... we shall see.

If the GWS F-4 turns out well, I'm sure more guys will be opting for the HET, WM400, or WemoTec fans and higher wattage... and for an extra $50 over my "cheap" power, I'm sure it's well worth it, if you can afford the batteries!
I guess a 25-30A 70mph A-4 (if they're correct) and a 50-60A 90+mph (4400 4s2p) F-4 wouldn't be a bad combo... if my guesses are close...

Actually, I hope the EDO turns out to be great.
Even if I have a taste for something a little beefier, it's great to have options.
Also, in the video that thing seems to really boogie... too bad those guys doing demo vids always seem to fly like crap... :p

Cya!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 AM
Pancake

Well, at least now I know what the EDO F-4 costs...

$140 for a "PlugNPlay"... worth checking out, IMO
Old 06-20-2008, 02:11 AM
Pancake

Hey EasyTiger, are you asleep at the wheel?

Your guy has one on display...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...42#post9989908
Old 06-25-2008, 03:52 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

My F-4 should arrive today.
Incidentally...
nitroplanes.com has a full range of parts and bare airframes for the Edomodels F-15, and the prices are stunning. Grab them while you can, I don't think they will last long, I don't know how many they actually have in stock. Was very surprised to see them stock this stuff, and very surprised at the pricing...much, much lower than the little internet dealers....
Old 07-20-2008, 02:29 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

I've been flying the heck out of it and really enjoying it, you can read the write-up on another site, I am not allowed to mention the name, or the moderators here get mad, so you can PM me for the adress.
It's a great model, it really is.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

On the Edo F-4, it sure is a nice airframe. I just wish the control rod linkages were a little less skewed and more in line.

Last edited by Joe 1320; 08-06-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:16 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

There is nothing wrong with the control linkages on the Edomodels Phantom. They were designed just fine and work perfectly.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:27 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

With all due respect, that is hogwash. The aileron conrols are off axis and create side to side movement for every fore and aft movement. I don't know of a single engineer who would look at that and not immediatly realize there is a problem. There are side loads created on the control horns! Over time, there will be issues down the road.

Does it work? Yes. Is there a better way, you bet. Are there problems with this design? That depends on how picky you want to be. Like I said.... it works. Is it correct? No...... and I cannot believe that you as an "experienced modeler" look at that and say that they were designed and work properly. As a 30 year veteran in high ticket retail sales training, I can identify that you sir, are a salesman. No ifs, ands or buts.

I know all too well........ I train them for a living.

So don't go there my friend. There are compromises is every design, this happens to be one of them. I'm not pooping on your thread, I'm stating a fact and I'm sorry it's not what you want to hear.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:52 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
With all due respect, that is hogwash. The aileron conrols are off axis and create side to side movement for every fore and aft movement. I don't know of a single engineer who would look at that and not immediatly realize there is a problem. There are side loads created on the control horns! Over time, there will be issues down the road.

Does it work? Yes. Is there a better way, you bet. Are there problems with this design? That depends on how picky you want to be. Like I said.... it works. Is it correct? No...... and I cannot believe that you as an "experienced modeler" look at that and say that they were designed and work properly. As a 30 year veteran in high ticket retail sales training, I can identify that you sir, are a salesman. No ifs, ands or buts.

I know all too well........ I train them for a living.

So don't go there my friend. There are compromises is every design, this happens to be one of them. I'm not pooping on your thread, I'm stating a fact and I'm sorry it's not what you want to hear.
Ummmmm...no. There is nothing wrong with the aileron setup on this plane. And the horns are plenty strong for the flight loads for this plane. It's a non-issue.
Feel free to hack up your own airplane and try to "improve" it, but I am actually FLYING one, and you are not, and my advice to anybody who owns one is that the aileron linkages are fine, they are totally normal, and don't follow all the bizarre "advice" from "experts" you read on the internet...you will find quite often they have no idea of what they are talking about...and that quite often(not always) the designers, who actually do this for a living(usually in China, nowadays), actually DO usually have a clue as to what they are doing. Edo certainly does. Every one of their airplanes has been great. I have two F-15s and the F-4, and well over 100 flights on them. 20 in one day, once.

You train salesmen. That's nice. I don't really care what you do for a living, I did not ask. I myself am a phrenologist. Not sure what it has to do with model airplanes. The internet can be a weird place, though...you are having a discussion about Austin-Healey car parts and someone chimes in and starts talking about the funny things their cat Mr. Fluffums does. It's weird, sometimes.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 AM
dk_aero

Phrenologist! You are toooo much!
Old 07-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
but I am actually FLYING one, and you are not,
Wrong again. I have two that I bought at the same time. Thats why I can make the statement that it does fly.

As I stated before, I'm stating facts. Because you don't choose to see them............... ah nevermind. I'm waisting my time.

I will say you have a sense of humor.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:42 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Wrong again. I have two that I bought at the same time. Thats why I can make the statement that it does fly.

As I stated before, I'm stating facts. Because you don't choose to see them............... ah nevermind. I'm waisting my time.

I will say you have a sense of humor.
You havn't actually FLOWN one.
You did not actually TRY the ailerons. You concluded that there must be some problem without even testing it. And...
I have flown it. Over a dozen flights now. And there is no problem.

Look...I was given the link to the RCgroups thread by the guy you attacked, and I can see you are still dorking around with yours, and not actually flying it.
I know for a fact that the Edomodels people, and many of the other Chinese companies, know very much what they are doing. I've seen your "atomic workshop", and I can't say the same about you. You seem to be a pretty neophyte modeller in general, and that's fine, but if you want to give bad advice, or issue "warnings" about non-issues, you can expect to be called out on it.

Boy, I'd like to do a phrenology reading on this guy...bumpy, I'm sure!
Old 07-22-2008, 03:59 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I've heard pretty good things about these $200 Jets, Like servo wires and Esc's get sucked up into the duct fan...LOL

I couldn't resist...chuckle, chuckle...
SK
Old 07-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Now I'll just say that you are so full of crap it's lost it's humor. You couldn't possible stand here and say I haven't flown it. What are you a freaking palm reader? Stop professing to KNOW what other do when you don't have a freaking clue. That is offensive and it only makes you look bad. If you can't stand here and watch the dang thing take off, you are in no position to know jack. Dorking around with it? You're a barrel of laughs. I don't report every stupid moment to the internet. If I find something worthy I contribute. In this case, I haven't solved the method for correcting this relatively minor flaw.

Now your credibility is gone out the window. I've watched several times over the past where your views were called into question and you went on the attack. The episodes were disgusting to watch and I purposely kept myself out of them. In the end there was a whole lot of moderator intervention and a whole lot of edited posts. I see your attitude hasn;t changed one bit

You saw on RCG? no doubt.... I call BS when it exists.

The ailerons could use improvement, the geometry is off and it doesn't take much to see that. If you cannot handle that, tough.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:06 AM
dk_aero

He's a psychic phrenologist!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:07 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Don't recall sucking an ESC into the fan, but I do recall sucking my neckstrap into a Dynamax with an OS91 some years back...almost lost my head!

So, Joe? Now you DID fly it? Did or didn't?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:10 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by dk_aero View Post
He's a psychic phrenologist!
Truth be told, I'm only the psychic phrenologist's psychotic psidekick.

But I know when someone does not know what they are talking about, like these perfectly fine aileron linkages...
Old 07-22-2008, 04:12 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

They Got one at the LHS, It had that exact problem... Esc Sucked up into fan, They Were testing one for sales... they are now recommending velcroing esc down better...and tie'ing all the wires down too... model looked pretty sweet in person though...
SK

Don't quote me on this but it looked like this model, I don't really remember what the model was ... I do remember it was like $200 though...
http://www.nitroplanes.com/nif1edfjetrt1.html
Old 07-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Don't recall sucking an ESC into the fan, but I do recall sucking my neckstrap into a Dynamax with an OS91 some years back...almost lost my head!

So, Joe? Now you DID fly it? Did or didn't?
The first one flew moderately well. Takes off quick. The roll rate is a bit softer than I expected. It doesn't appear to like a carrier landing, either that or my aileron control throws aren't enough as it gets really mushy. Bring it in hot and it works like a charm. I like the plane except for the aileron linkage. You and I both know the horns should be in line with the linkeage and the aileron movement should not be configured to have any lateral movement. Admit it........ you know it. You've mentioned it in previous arguements..... in fact, two years ago it's something I learned from YOU! You probably don't even remember it.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:18 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Boy, I'd like to do a phrenology reading on this guy...bumpy, I'm sure!
And......No comment. be glad.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I refuse to use z-bends anymore, they're a mushy no no...
SK
Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
They Got one at the LHS, It had that exact problem... Esc Sucked up into fan, They Were testing one for sales... they are now recommending velcroing esc down better...and tie'ing all the wires down too... model looked pretty sweet in person though...
SK

Don't quote me on this but it looked like this model, I don't really remember what the model was ... I do remember it was like $200 though...
http://www.nitroplanes.com/nif1edfjetrt1.html
That sucks. Maybe the E-flight one?
I have two of these Edo F-15s, have not sucked in an ESC yet! But, poor QC is always possible on any of these models, sure...
Old 07-22-2008, 04:41 AM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

The first one flew moderately well. Takes off quick. The roll rate is a bit softer than I expected. It doesn't appear to like a carrier landing, either that or my aileron control throws aren't enough as it gets really mushy. Bring it in hot and it works like a charm. I like the plane except for the aileron linkage. You and I both know the horns should be in line with the linkeage and the aileron movement should not be configured to have any lateral movement. Admit it........ you know it. You've mentioned it in previous arguements..... in fact, two years ago it's something I learned from YOU! You probably don't even remember it.
Ah. So now you are saying you have flown it with the stock aileron linkage, and it has not been a problem. Good. Moving on.

Quick Reply: Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10396 seconds with 13 queries