Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go! - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Moving on is a good idea. Let's keep this on topic without the personal jabs please.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 05:15 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
That sucks. Maybe the E-flight one?
I have two of these Edo F-15s, have not sucked in an ESC yet! But, poor QC is always possible on any of these models, sure...
haha, too funny, I looked up eflite's... You guessed it... now that I got a picture of it, It was definately the e-flite one... and it figures, casue I'm anti-eflite lately... their QC is terrible, and their support sucks...

SK
Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

deleted

Last edited by Joe 1320; 08-06-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 PM
termite
Super Contributor

Not worth it Joe!

Total waste of time and energy.
Randy
Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

What Randy said.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Randy.... Jeff.......

You guys are right. I knew better. I just couldn't help myself.

I am living proof that the human race just can't seem to learn from it's mistakes.

Thanks guys......
Old 07-23-2008, 04:47 AM
dk_aero

Hey Joe,

I see what you mean...

Click image for larger version

Name:	EDO F4.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	73518

I'm not sure about the control horn/aileron hinge setup, but I'd at least expect the servo motor shaft to be perpendicular to the pushrod (so that the the servo horn movement is parallel to the pushrod axis). Hmmm...
Old 07-23-2008, 05:22 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by dk_aero View Post
Hey Joe,

I see what you mean...

Attachment 73518

I'm not sure about the control horn/aileron hinge setup, but I'd at least expect the servo motor shaft to be perpendicular to the pushrod (so that the the servo horn movement is parallel to the pushrod axis). Hmmm...
That is one pathetic looking linkage... I'm Sure it works, but man....

Wish I could get a Align f16 in the usa, They're $35 for the kit with no electronics...
SK
Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dk_aero View Post
Hey Joe,

I see what you mean...

Attachment 73518

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
That is one pathetic looking linkage... I'm Sure it works, but man....

Wish I could get a Align f16 in the usa, They're $35 for the kit with no electronics...
SK
The problem doesn't stop just there. The force applied to the aileron is not perpendicular to the aileron hinge. As the aileron and control horn move, the angle of the control horn changes in relation to the angle of the control rod. If the this causes the control horn on the aileron to move side to side. There is more side to side movement than up and down.

What really needs to happen is that the control horn itself should be mounted perpendicular to the hinge, the control rod should stay in the same axis withe the servo mounted directly in line with the control horn. this way there is no slop, no wasted motion and intime won't tear up the hinge or control rod horn mount. I can already tell it's going to get more slop with heavy use. Not to mention that if you increase devlection, you get dangerously close to binding.

Once this one is well used, I believe I'm going to relocate the control horn and move the servo out just past the wheel mount. Simple, but it should have been that way from the factory. Too bad a labeled "neophyte" (I'm still laughing about that one) like myself can see a simple design flaw. There isn't a greater comedic display than some people's communication in the real world. Gawd I wish I was more ignorant. Life gets a whole lot more simple and stress free. LOL!

Last edited by Joe 1320; 07-23-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
haha, too funny, I looked up eflite's... You guessed it... now that I got a picture of it, It was definately the e-flite one... and it figures, casue I'm anti-eflite lately... their QC is terrible, and their support sucks...

SK
Pretty sure that the E-flight F-15 comes with no equipment installed, which would mean you can't blame that one on E-flight, but on whoever at the hobby store actually built it and failed to secure the ESC...
That's not a comment on E-flight in general, or their QC or support...just this one incident...
Old 07-23-2008, 04:48 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

"Gawd I wish I was more ignorant."

Don't sell yourself short...
Old 07-23-2008, 04:52 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
Pretty sure that the E-flight F-15 comes with no equipment installed, which would mean you can't blame that one on E-flight, but on whoever at the hobby store actually built it and failed to secure the ESC...
That's not a comment on E-flight in general, or their QC or support...just this one incident...
Holy Cow, Your right, they don't offer that as a RTF, its $160 For an ARF with no electronics... What a ripoff.... EDo's at least looking much better at $200 RTF...
Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

I think it comes with retracts, at least...not sure what the discount price is, probably less than $160. I do see your point about price, though...if this were a year or two ago, sure, but nowadays, it's a pretty competitive market for these things...the EDO one is a GREAT model, and the price is fine...
Old 07-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Last edited by Joe 1320; 08-06-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:35 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post

Hmmm........Let's see if I can figure out the "ignore user" feature. Never had to use it on here, but is sure sounds good about now.
Oh.... that was easy. See ya!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:17 PM
easytiger
Banned Permanently

Swell.
Anyhoo...the Edomodels F4 is a splendid model, I've really been enjoying it. I've felt no real need to modify it or upgrade the stock motor system so far. Fast enough to be fun, and nice in the air.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

So....

It appears as though the easiest way to get everything in line is to remove the control horns and run them 90 to the hinge, put a servo pocket in the wing that is directly in line with the control horn. Put a slot in the foam to run the servo wires and problem solved. That will be the fix on the next go around. I'll keep the original one stock just to see how long the stock stuff lasts. The hinge looks fairly beefy so it may hold pretty well. Once thing for sure, removing unwanted lateral movement will increase the effectiveness of the servo and linkage.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
BUCKSHOT

Don't you guys have a wife to argue with ?
I am reading this thread because i want the f4...not to read about 2 internet want to be bully's......
Now back to the plane
what battery comes with the arf ?
How is the battery space ?
How about for a first jet ?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Don't you guys have a wife to argue with ?
I am reading this thread because i want the f4...not to read about 2 internet want to be bully's......
Now back to the plane
what battery comes with the arf ?
How is the battery space ?
How about for a first jet ?
no problems on my end other than compromises in the design. I'll let the internet bully thing slide, others are better known for those games. I like to deal with facts and not BS. Careful 'cause someone else is gonna take offense and you'll feel the wrath.

*I bought just the airframe so i can't comment on the supplied lipo.

*Battery cavern is quite large. it will hold a 2100 mAh easily although you'll be nose heavy with that much of a brick.

*As a first jet....... it would work. If you have any prop plane experience including ROG and landing, this is a breeze. Landing just requires some power on........ power off it drops a bit, so keep about 1/3 throttle. You'll have to grease the landing as the supplied gear has no spring to it. That means if you come down hard it will bounce right back up. Keep some speed and landings are easy. Bring it in from a distance, a low angle and keep some throttle, gradually let the speed bleed off and the back wheels will settle down first, Once they touch.....down stick will bring the nose to the pavement. A real beauty when landing! Once you know the drill, it's a piece of cake.

Give yourself plenty of room to roll, it takes a bit to slow down once you touch. Maybe 150 ft. In all, a very easy plane to fly. The rolls are pretty axial and quick. No hint of a barrel unless you roll real slow.

Get it, you'll enjoy the fly. It's draggy so if you want real speed you'll have to step it up to 4s, might even want to ditch the landing gear and drop tanks....... there's a ton of drag.

And contrary to what some think, the ailerons are sloppy. In fact, there is enough slop that it's darned hard to eliminate play in the stock setup. My 1st one has already gotten more aileron play as it gets used, there is as much if not more lateral movement than fore/aft. A simple redesign of the servo placement and subsequent linkage would cure the slop.

Still........ it's a nice jet, easy to fly, I would get it. Contact William at http://www.turbofanelectrics.com/ great service, great prices, no attitudes and personal support.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 AM
BUCKSHOT

Thanks Joe 1320,
good info,we have a 400 ft runway slick blacktop,I fly a lot....
Never a edf
how big a battery do you use in yours ?..
I have a lot of 2100/2200 3s so........
Old 07-31-2008, 01:52 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Thanks Joe 1320,
good info,we have a 400 ft runway slick blacktop,I fly a lot....
Never a edf
how big a battery do you use in yours ?..
I have a lot of 2100/2200 3s so........
I've been using a Hyperion 1800 3s 20C pack for everyday flight. I have flown it with a 2100 and the result was a little nose heavy. Still flyable, but took more up trim. Since you've never flown an EDF, it might be helpful to assume it's a little underpowered and needs to be flown on the wing. Once you are familiar, then probe the thrust limits. Fort Walton eh? I'll be right near there, heading up to NAS Pensacola tomorrow night, I'll be there for the weekend.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM
BUCKSHOT

Cool feel free to come fly if you like
I am a contest director at eglin aero modellers
it is between ft walton & crestview

www.eglinaeromodellers.com

there is also a link to my forum on the site
I say my because sometimes it's like a blog not a forum....

thank for the info........post more
Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
I'll be right near there, heading up to NAS Pensacola tomorrow night, I'll be there for the weekend.
I love the museum there!

If I had the weekend off, I would suggest meeting up. You'll just have to go without me.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Thanks guys!

At some point in the next few years, I plan to retire from my present career and relocate up there. Something about the Blue Angels and NAS that just makes it feel like home.

"Nothing like the smell of jet fuel in the morning."

Well....... maybe the early morning startup of a Nitromethane Funny Car or Top Fueler.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I should be around, we'll get some flying in when you get here.

Quick Reply: Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15780 seconds with 13 queries