Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go! - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Edomodels F-4 Phantom, ready to go!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:15 PM
jismail

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Sent an e-mail ...they have parts

How repairable is this bird? I have one sitting on the shelf all ready to go but I am new to EDF jets and a bit scared to maiden it. It looks rather fragile and even with certain parts available, I wonder how fixable it is with the wings and tail glued on instead of removable.

Anybody crash it yet? How tough is it? How hard is it to fix? Does CA glue work well on this foam? Can you remove wings and such to add in a spare if needed?

I think this is one sharp looking bird and I want to fly it soon but maybe its fragility will force me to wait until my skills are good enough to lessen the chances of a crash with this one?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jismail View Post
How repairable is this bird? I have one sitting on the shelf all ready to go but I am new to EDF jets and a bit scared to maiden it. It looks rather fragile and even with certain parts available, I wonder how fixable it is with the wings and tail glued on instead of removable.

Anybody crash it yet? How tough is it? How hard is it to fix? Does CA glue work well on this foam? Can you remove wings and such to add in a spare if needed?

I think this is one sharp looking bird and I want to fly it soon but maybe its fragility will force me to wait until my skills are good enough to lessen the chances of a crash with this one?
5 minute epoxy really works best, repairs are quite simple as long as you don't turn the foam to mush. It needs to be flown like a jet and if you are new to EDF, it might be wise to gain some flight time on something a little more forgiving? It's tough to judge someone else's skills without actually seeing it. Being new to EDF I would suggest a Hobby Lobby F-18. It makes a great EDF trainer.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 AM
jismail

Originally Posted by Joe 1320 View Post
5 minute epoxy really works best, repairs are quite simple as long as you don't turn the foam to mush. It needs to be flown like a jet and if you are new to EDF, it might be wise to gain some flight time on something a little more forgiving? It's tough to judge someone else's skills without actually seeing it. Being new to EDF I would suggest a Hobby Lobby F-18. It makes a great EDF trainer.

Sound advice to be sure.... I routinely fly low wing prop warbirds in the 33 to 40 ince wingspan range and can do some pretty decent flying with them. I currently have a stable of 16 WW2 warbirds and I think I have pretty sound skills in ROG and flight, but could do with more practice on sticking a landing on a small field.... some tend to be a bit rough.

The jet is really cool looking and the videos I have seen tend to make me think I could handle it in flight as long as I keep the throws to a minimum so I dont get out of control to easily. The landings are the part I most dread as my only hardpack surface is the infield of the baseball diamond and it isnt perfectly smooth and may be a bit tight for the roll out this needs?

I also just inherited a F27 stryker too... do you think the 'experience' I need for the F4 would be gained via flying that or is the EDF far different than a prop regardless of the deltawing configuration of the F27?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:10 AM
BUCKSHOT

My first edo f4 has been rebuilt about 8 times,she is too fat now
i am running 50amp esc,dons wicked 4800kv motor & 3s2200
the weak point in plane is the foam block the nose gear goes thru
replace with balsa block.ailerons are a little sloppy...they kinda hang down
but i love my f4
my esc is a heli ecs so on run-up at the field it draws attenion
Old 12-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
My first edo f4 has been rebuilt about 8 times,she is too fat now
i am running 50amp esc,dons wicked 4800kv motor & 3s2200
the weak point in plane is the foam block the nose gear goes thru
replace with balsa block.ailerons are a little sloppy...they kinda hang down
but i love my f4
my esc is a heli ecs so on run-up at the field it draws attenion
Probably looks like the jets that shs.... guy's always trying to sell over there, after repairing them countless times.

just the first thing that came to mind.

Last edited by Bill G; 12-24-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
BUCKSHOT

Got a new one ,gonna go with wicked 4800/50amp esc3s2200 25/50
MAYBE DUAL ELEVATOR SERVOS
Old 01-22-2009, 11:07 PM
jismail

So I maidened my bird last weekend.... using a 2200 mah 3c lipo, it balanced out perfectly with no modifications. It took a long runway to get it up, but it lifted off in perfect balance.

I was surprised and dissapointed that it had just enough power (stock) to maintain flight, but not enough to feel like I could do any acrobatics or to reduce down from WOT at all.....

I think this is a top rate model with it's looks and construction, but definately needs more power.....
Old 01-24-2009, 06:19 PM
BUCKSHOT

I also maidened my 2nd one today....awesome,dons wicked 4800kv,not a screamer ...but way better than stock..For some reason this plane bounces every time on landing...even the slick ones ...after slows even more...any ideas?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:15 AM
DW_Crash

Question Vendor???

Originally Posted by easytiger View Post
I just posted pics over on in the "general posts" section of the new Edo F-4, all painted, in two factory schemes. It's a honey. I have to of their Eagles, the plane is a gem...
Astonishing to read the thread about this plane over on RCgroups, it's just preposterous, with guys complaining about the cost of this and that, and mistaking a Skymaster F-4 turbine jet for a foamie one...just nuts, clutter, and disinformation. I feel bad for Edomodels, they make really nice stuff, and are really nice people, they make an announcement and show a few pics, and it's like open season for everybody to comment on all sorts of things that have nothing to do with Edomodels...oh, well.
Curtis,

Is this the Phantom that you sell?

Dave
Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Last edited by Joe 1320; 08-06-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:53 PM
DW_Crash

Default As usual

Joe,

I understand exactly what you are saying......

Dave