Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Crow settings

Old 12-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Positive Charge

Default Crow settings

I am in the process of assembling a Multiplex Cularis, and this is my first venture into gliders. I have looked at other threads and have modified the flaps to give nearly 90deg. down as suggested, but do not know how much" up "to give the ailerons when the flaps are deployed. Can anyone give me some advice please.

Alan
Old 12-16-2007, 05:12 AM
tom1968

I'm not a sailplane expert, but I'd suggest using about 1/2 their available up travel. That way you still have some travel left for maneuvering if you need to.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Jason T
Electron Liberator

I agree with Tom. Also, make sure you test your settings at pretty good altitude before you try them on landing.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:47 PM
CygnusX1

Welcome to gliders! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I have not used crow but I use Spoilerons on my Easy Glider Electric. When I deploy them, I lose about 60-70% of my aileron capability. It definitely brings the plane down quickly but roll control gets a bit tricky. I often flip off the spoilerons and power up for a second approach if the cross winds kick me around too much.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Marcellus
Marcellus

Originally Posted by CygnusX1 View Post
Welcome to gliders! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I have not used crow but I use Spoilerons on my Easy Glider Electric. When I deploy them, I lose about 60-70% of my aileron capability. It definitely brings the plane down quickly but roll control gets a bit tricky. I often flip off the spoilerons and power up for a second approach if the cross winds kick me around too much.
I use reverse differential to maintain aileron control with spoilerons and crow. Easy to do on a Futaba 9C Tx. I'd be glad to give the details of the programming. Perhaps mix rudder with ailerons, actuated by the crow switch to help. The better pilot uses their left thumb!

30-50% up aileron is all that's required. 90% flap on crow will make the glider balloon, so mix in some down elevator to compensate.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 PM
CygnusX1

Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
I use reverse differential to maintain aileron control with spoilerons and crow. Easy to do on a Futaba 9C Tx. I'd be glad to give the details of the programming. Perhaps mix rudder with ailerons, actuated by the crow switch to help. The better pilot uses their left thumb!

30-50% up aileron is all that's required. 90% flap on crow will make the glider balloon, so mix in some down elevator to compensate.
I setup my throws exactly to the construction manual that came with the EGE. I use a Futaba 6EX. I did not mix rudder with anything. I did add some up elevator mix to the spoilerons to level it off. There are no flaps on the EGE but spoileron definitely handicaps the aileron functionality. I have not tried thumbing in rudder during landing. I shall give it a try as soon as the lake freezes over.

Reverse Differential? I use aileron differential but what is Reverse Differential?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Marcellus
Marcellus

Reverse Differential? I use aileron differential but what is Reverse Differential?[/quote]

It's sort of the opposite to differential! When you ailerons are 'up' with crow or spoilerons, they are approaching the limit of their travel, so aileron authority diminishes. Using rudder can help here, if not as a wing 'leveller' at least it helps to point the plane in the desired direction.

Reverse differentilal is a mix that is activated when crow or spoilerons are selected. When you reach a pre-selected amount of crow e.g. 50% of the up aileron movement, the down going aileron starts to move a lot more than usual to help give you back aileron authority - as the up going aileron reaches it's travel limit.

It's very easy to set up on a 9C. I don't think it can be done on a 6EX. I wouldn't worry about that, it's not a set up that many use!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 AM
CygnusX1

It sounds like a real nice feature that I would like to try someday on my more advanced models and radios of the future.

Thanks for the lesson!