Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

which plane is good for this....

Old 06-30-2008, 03:22 PM
ralph99

Default which plane is good for this....

i went to my local hobbyshop and asked the person behind the deskwhich plane should get. i have g3.5 and can fly pretty much all of the all of the trainers and alot of the fast planes and she said i should look at the nexstar ep select.....i definatly would get it BUT its freakin expensive!!!!!when i have everything i need it will be over 500!!!
what is a good aileron plane for when you have flight sim experianse?i want 4ch not 3 but 4!also try to keep it somewhere under 275 plz
Old 06-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Leo L

The ParkZone T-28 Trojan is the best plane to learn aileron control with.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Frank Voikel
Super Contributor

If you think you're ready for 4 channel without hitting a three channel first, all the power to you. You'll be able to find a deal far better than $500.
Leo already suggested the T-28 Trojan, and that's gonna cost you around 200. From what I've heard, it flies like a dream, but not necessarily a first-time beginner's dream. If you buy this one, it'd be a great idea to have an experienced r/c pilot helping you on your first flight. All the sim time in the world can't erase nervous jitters when you're maidening a plne.
Otherwise, you could go with the Wing Dragon 4 I suggested in the other thread.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
ralph99

i see that the wingdragon 4 has a similar fusalage to the firebird phantom......i hate the phantom!! the tail boom breaks so easily! is this different with the wing dragon 4?

by the way ill look into the supercub because i think your right about starting with 3 channels......if you would please inform me on the cub...
Old 06-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Leo L

Ralph,

I'm glad to see you reconsidering about starting with a 3-channel plane. The simulator is great for letting you learn about control reversal, throttle management, etc., but it really doesn't come close to giving you real world experience.

The HobbyZone SuperCub is simply the very best beginner plane currently available. Since you already have some flying experience with the Phantom, you should have no trouble mastering it. Just don't use the ACT system; it has caused as many crashes as it has prevented. If (when) you buy the SuperCub, get a couple of extra props and get the upgrade battery. The battery charger that coomes with the plane is not great, so you might want to invest in a better charger. Check out the various treads about the SuperCub and you'll find all sorts of mods that people have done, including ailerons, brushless motor, floats for taking off and landing on a lake, etc.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I used to have the Nexstar and she's a big plane. You would need a lot of room to fly her. My buddy max2112 flies this one here:
http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/160522.asp

She's cheap and flies GREAT!! She can be hand launched or take off from the ground in less than a 5ft. roll out. You just can't beat the price. Do you have your own radio or are you looking for a RTF?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:07 PM
mred
Super Contributor

I think that you are going to find out that the flight sim world is a completely different world then the real world. I fly jets, Helicopters, 3D, pylon racers, and everything else I can get my hands on including mulit engine models. I would not dare try them in the real world although I do VERY good on the sim. I LOVE flying the F-4 jet and very seldom crash, but to fly the real thing, I think I would last about 30 seconds IF I were lucky. Get a GOOD trainer and learn how to fly in the REAL world. It is VERY different then the sim world.

Any trainer including the J-3 is a good trainer, but forget about ailerons at first. I know it is tempting, but it is also harder to fly one. I know you are tempted, but you want something that is easy to repair and EASY to fly at first. Yes you will get tired of it after awhile, but you WILL learn how to fly. If you want a kind of cheap aileron trainer, try a Super Sportster from Tower. It cost around $120.00 with everything you need except the radio and it is a very forgiving plane if you keep the rates low. It's a great flying plane with a brushless setup and increased rates, but that should be your second plane.

After you have MASTERED the aileron planes, THEN you can go to 3-D if you like, but that is going to take awhile. No one is going to do this overnight. Give yourself time to do it right and you will enjoy many years of flying. Try and rush it, and you will get discouraged very fast. Take care.

Ed