Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Women Pilots On Wattflyer

Old 12-19-2008, 06:23 AM
Franny
Stupid Gravity!

Hi Kristy,

The Stearman is the "Military Trainer" kit from AerodromeRC I purchased some years back and built about a year ago. The power is supplied by an AXI2826 and a 4cell 4000mAh Lipo. I have a build log here: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24894

The covering is Ultracote (which ROCKS!) I also did an addendum to the build instructions over on the AerodromeRC site: http://www.aerodromerc.com Kay is awesome and one heck of a designer! She is also a good friend. Worth a look!

I really envy your larger airplanes! About the biggest I have is equivalent to a .40 size. I E-converted my 20 year old Goldberg Falcon 56 and it is a real blast! That one has the E-Flight Power46 motor. What kind of batteries do you use? Mine are from MaxAmps, but kinda pricey. Oh, here is a link to my website: http://www.frannybrodigan.com/RC_Airplanes.asp

Here is that Falcon...

Take care and great to meet you!!

Franny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P5068147.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	87202   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5068154.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	87203   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6170779-cropped.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	87204  
Old 12-19-2008, 06:30 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by caltrop View Post
Been there, done that. Expecially on the grass. Someone sugested I use plastic screws to bolt the landing gear on with. You will have to go one or two sizes larger for strength but it's great. Now when I come in too hard or that darn wind doesn't cooperate all I loose is the gear and I have to do a very careful belly landing the next go round.

I also put larger wheels on my small stuff for the grass. The stock wheels just don't do it. I also do like tail draggers but not that darn skid; I always add a stearable wheel back there. Nothing fancy just a bent piece of wire glued to the rudder. I sometimes run the wire through the skid for extra support.
I am Guilty of coming in to fast and tearing the landing gear off of a new plane with a new plane, i tend to land them faster, because i have not gotten used to the stall speed of the plane yet, and try to be safe, by landing on the fast side, Take care, Chellie
Old 12-19-2008, 06:30 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default LightFlite Bug

Here's a good starter plane. Careful - the web site there is a little disorganized. This kit runs around $160.
http://lightflite.com/

This is the plane I learned on two years ago and it still flies although there's a lot of glue in it now. It's also been moded from the original - different servo's mounted different & a bigger battery and ESC.

This is a kit but comes with everything except a radio. It is fully 3D capable as well as a slow flyer. With the carbon fiber hoop around the blade it makes it safe & crash proof. It also makes a good combat plane.

Here's the Bug again. On the bench & on the wall.

Name:	LightFlite.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	87205   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Rack.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	87206  
Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 AM
CaptnJaneway

Default Women and RC Flying

Hi All,

Franny told me about this post. I have to say that I have tried flying on the simulator and really need to get the hours in. So, here's my contribution to flying. I have spent many hours driving to different flying fields, helping cart airplanes, radios, batteries, coffee, and chairs to the field. It really is a very fun, exciting and social experience! I am enclosing some of the excitement for all of you who wonder why I enjoy going to the field. I really enjoy watching all the skilled pilots and taking lots of photos. I even get a few memorable ones. Here's some of shots. You might recognize the aircraft.

Heidi

Name:	P7093547.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	87210   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7042076.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	87211   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7042091.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	87212   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7042151.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	87213   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7052727.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	87214  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7063011.JPG
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	87215   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2247456.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	87216   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2247466_cropped.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	87217   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2247515.JPG
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	87218  
Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default Chellie's Fault

That's what did it. My posts are running off the side of the screen.

Chellie did a post where two photos are side by side and the text now runs off the screen.

Shame on you!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:37 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

That's what did it. My posts are running off the side of the screen.

Chellie did a post where two photos are side by side and the text now runs off the screen.

Shame on you!

Sorry Im Bad
Old 12-19-2008, 06:40 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Heidi and Welcome to Wattflyers, Lots and Lots of very nice people here, Glad you could join us here, Take care, Chellie
Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 AM
CaptnJaneway

Thanks Chellie,

I hope to see more women reply to the posts. Heidi
Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Red face WOW

WOW, the screen's back to normal... THANKS!

I've been spending way too much time online lately... especially here!

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life next year when the unemployment runs out. I'm thinking aerial photography. Now I have an excuse to get that BIG TRex! I can justify that $700 I'm going to spend on a new heli.

I might get a different heli but the TRex is affordable. I'm going to think on things over Christmas and buy next year unless I find a really good deal.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:49 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by CaptnJaneway View Post
Hi All,

Franny told me about this post. I have to say that I have tried flying on the simulator and really need to get the hours in. So, here's my contribution to flying. I have spent many hours driving to different flying fields, helping cart airplanes, radios, batteries, coffee, and chairs to the field. It really is a very fun, exciting and social experience! I am enclosing some of the excitement for all of you who wonder why I enjoy going to the field. I really enjoy watching all the skilled pilots and taking lots of photos. I even get a few memorable ones. Here's some of shots. You might recognize the aircraft.

Heidi
Go get an air-beater

We could use more helicopters buzzing around at the club. You bring the coffee and I'll show ya how to do it
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/2561213[/media]
Old 12-19-2008, 07:54 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

WOW, the screen's back to normal... THANKS!

I've been spending way too much time online lately... especially here!

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life next year when the unemployment runs out. I'm thinking aerial photography. Now I have an excuse to get that BIG TRex! I can justify that $700 I'm going to spend on a new heli.

I might get a different heli but the TRex is affordable. I'm going to think on things over Christmas and buy next year unless I find a really good deal.
Well, We Really Enjoy having you here caltrop aerial photography sounds neet, is there a market for it around your area, if there is, go for it get together with kirsty, and ask her what type of buisness use that service, and research the market in your area, i would think that contractors and Goverment would use a service like that, find a nitch market, I was talking to a police friend today at work, and his friend, started selling those air soft guns, that shoot the plastic balls, and he had to get a large warehouse, because his buisness sky rocketed, selling those electric powered guns, and he is only like 27years old, he started part time, now its a big buisness, good for him hope you find a nitch market that takes off pun intended Take care, Chellie
Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

CalTrop what do you think of this buisness, a RC Flight School, teach others to fly RC Take care, Chellie

http://www.modelaircraft.org/programs/rcfi.aspx
Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM
jimweda

Wow Chellie,
You have some nice scratch builds there. I'm not a female, but does being raised in an all female household count? Unfortunately for me work has kept me from building and flying as much as I have in the past but I have 2 weeks off starting this saturday and hope to get some of the planes I've been collecting in the air. I have about 15 built and flown, but have a lot NIB that I'd love to get going. What's the field like out where you guys fly. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of my local field, (Apollo in the Valley). The electric field is too small and the flightline is usually filled with a bunch of nitwits who either don't like electric or think they know it all and it has gotten very old. I'm looking for places to fly where everyone gets along. Right now the only field I can get that is at Muroc Model Masters but that's a 75 mile drive each way. If anyone has a good lead on great flying fields with people to match I'd really appreciate it. Thanks and again, great work Chellie!

Jim

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Everyone I was Wondering, Just how many Women Pilots there is on Wattflyers its Hard to tell by the Screen Names, Sooooo, I thought It would be nice to Recognize them Here in this Thread, This Thread is for All, Who are Gendered Female, to Show off Their Planes and flying Ability, and Maybe a Action Video, flying their plane, with Radio In Hand I only know of a few Women Pilots here, but I am Learning that there are more than i thought and thats Great, here are a few of my planes, some scratch built and some store bought, I Hope to see all the Women of Wattflyers here, Take Care & God Bless, Chellie
Old 12-19-2008, 11:46 AM
jimweda

Personally I think its a shame more women aren't into this hobby. It would be nice to meet a woman that shared this interest. Unfortunately most of the ones I've met feel this is a silly hobby and a waste of money, but hey, lets fill the closets with clothes they wear once, take a loan out for gobs of make-up and heaven forbid someone should buy THEIR sale items even though they'll never use it. When I was a much younger lad, I tolerated a lot of that, but when I got into my 40's I found that I became a lot more selective which is probably why I started this hobby late. Maybe one day we'll have alot more women interested. I think it would be a blast to be able to build, fly and spend some time at the field with the woman you share your heart with. There are plenty of other things we can do seperately, like, uh, shopping? Oh well, sorry to venture off the path. I just thought this might be an appropriate place to let off a little steam. Have a great one and keep up the good work.

Jim
Old 12-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
You ladies sure have some truly magnificent models. Thanks for sharing!!

Kirsty.. Thanks for the info on the Zlin.

You're very welcome Mike. Let me just say she is a beauty to fly & with maximum throws...she's a handful, I have another video to upload & will post a link on this thread for you to see.

Kirsty xx
Old 12-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

FRANNY:

Thanks for the links, love your website & as you can imagiine I went straight to the A/P section...you look so lonely with just your beetle convertable

The batteries I use in the zlin are 6s 5000mAH, the same batts I use in the trex600E...they were very cheap, bought them from an advertiser that features on this website..clue (Hong Kong).

Right back to work, chat with you all later

Kirsty x
Old 12-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by jimweda View Post
I'm not a female, but does being raised in an all female household count?
If so, then I qualify as well.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life next year when the unemployment runs out. I'm thinking aerial photography.
Be careful with this... I tried the same thing about five years ago... I set up a web page, joined the RCAPA, and talked to lots of people about what aerial photography can do for them.

What I found was a whole bunch of people who thought it was very interesting. I found a few people who were willing to pay, but then asked for their money back less than 24 hours after asking for the work to be done.

Part of the problem is that people tend to want you to take a picture of something RIGHT NOW. They don't understand that weather greatly affects our ability to fly...

In short, in five years, I never collected any money from my Aerial Photography business. :o
Old 12-19-2008, 03:37 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

It looks like a flying blue dot! I wouldn't let it get too far away, because it will disappear on a clear day. LOL.

Hi have her fly one of those round planes, with the edge folded up, that will give her a lot of stick time, and she wont be afraid to crash it, because its just a cheapy foamy here is one of our Chino RC Renegades Pilots with his

Old 12-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Jasmine, it's good to see you. I haven't seen you post in a while, but I always enjoy(ed) your input. You are a straight shooter in my book.

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Hello y'all

I have gone to the Dark Side, beating the air up with rotating wings, and having a lot of fun doing it too! Here's some stuff from my collection!

And yo - where is Franny? I saw her at the last club meeting... yo girlfriend! Post us some photos of that Stearman?!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Jimweda, Chellie and I and Minnisteve have flown at Apollo field . The Western States All Elecric Fun Fly in June. We found the Valley R/c Club people to be knowledgable and friendly guys. Course there were no nitro planes flying that day. You're welcome to come out on any Sunday and fly with us at Canyon Hills Jr. High in Chino Hills. It's 50 mi. from Apollo field tho. You can see pictures at the Renegades R/C Club thread. Actually there's a pic of the field 2 posts up.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:12 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Arrow Hmmm...

CalTrop what do you think of this buisness, a RC Flight School, teach others to fly RC Take care, Chellie

http://www.modelaircraft.org/programs/rcfi.aspx
Now I have more to think about... Homer Simpson said something about this - "my brain's so full everytime I learn something new I forget something else" or something like that.

---

Originally Posted by Kirsty_Carnage View Post
The batteries I use in the zlin are 6s 5000mAH, the same batts I use in the trex600E...they were very cheap, bought them from an advertiser that features on this website..clue (Hong Kong).

Right back to work, chat with you all later

Kirsty x
Where? What cheap batteries?

I've had some cheap batteries that didn't last the year but if you've found a decent brand I willing to try again.

---

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
If so, then I qualify as well.

Be careful with this... I tried the same thing about five years ago... I set up a web page, joined the RCAPA, and talked to lots of people about what aerial photography can do for them.

What I found was a whole bunch of people who thought it was very interesting. I found a few people who were willing to pay, but then asked for their money back less than 24 hours after asking for the work to be done.

Part of the problem is that people tend to want you to take a picture of something RIGHT NOW. They don't understand that weather greatly affects our ability to fly...

In short, in five years, I never collected any money from my Aerial Photography business. :o
I know. 80% of startup businesses fail the first year - been there, done that!

Franchises on the other hand... I still have not heard back from them yet.

Anyway I need an excuse to get that BIG TRex!

At least I can play around with AP and maybe sell something sometime. There's people out there doing AP. There's a AP company north of Indianapolis, one in Indianapolis, and one over in Ohio (this is a BIG one). then there's AP using real planes & helis but they're really expensive.

http://www.airbornevideoservices.com/Buttons.html
one of their helis is a strang looking thing - really customized.
http://www.bergenrc.com/

I don't plan on being full time in this especially as you said the weather affects things.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I know. 80% of startup businesses fail the first year - been there, done that!

Franchises on the other hand... I still have not heard back from them yet.
Caltrop -- go to this web page, and fill out the form. In the comments box, type something like, "Ken -- Guy asked me to contact you. Please call me at your earliest convenience."

He'll call you back.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:39 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Default Stable Heli

I was doing some reaearch on my old Caliber 30. Thought of converting it to electric but it's a tank.

So, here's the question & the exerpt from the article I found:

Does the leading edge & trailing edge grip orientation work for all heli's? If so It would be perfect for my aerial photography heli since it will not be doing 3D maneuvers.

---

http://www.littlerotors.com/articles/caliber30-010202/index.aspx
"Kyosho Caliber 30
Aaron Williams
Kyosho have designed this chopper for entry to advanced level pilots. If you put the blade grips on with trailing side inputs you make the caliber 30 70% more stable for the learner pilot. If you, as I have done, put the blade grips on with leading side inputs the Caliber is 3D capable. This means there is no need to buy upgrade parts at extra cost. The good thing about the servo arrangement is it can be mechanical or electronic CCPM control. So no mater what radio you have Skysport 6 to a 9ZHP WC2 you can fly this Caliber 30 with ease.
..."
Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Caltrop -- go to this web page, and fill out the form. In the comments box, type something like, "Ken -- Guy asked me to contact you. Please call me at your earliest convenience."

He'll call you back.
They just sold out and closed their store here. The 4 established shops just couldn't be beat. Denver is huge but there wasn't room for another hobby shop. From what I understand, the one in Boulder is going along fine.

So make sure you won't be overkill for your market...
Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

I was doing some reaearch on my old Caliber 30. Thought of converting it to electric but it's a tank.

So, here's the question & the exerpt from the article I found:

Does the leading edge & trailing edge grip orientation work for all heli's? If so It would be perfect for my aerial photography heli since it will not be doing 3D maneuvers.

..."
It will work just fine either way. On the Blade 400, people flip the grips over, changing from trailers to leaders, and it still flies just fine.

Quick Reply: Women Pilots On Wattflyer

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16806 seconds with 25 queries