ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Is my little noob plane any good?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Kavurcen
Neurotic

Question Is my little noob plane any good?

I picked this plane up at amazon.com... I'm a complete beginner (my only experience is flying an air hogs $15 plane, with mixed results) and I want to know if the plane I bought is any good.
apparently I can't add a link... I'll add one later. In the mean time, the plane is the Megatech nightflyer
BTW, am I in the right category? I think this might be a foamie... see? I am a total noob.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:33 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hi and welcome to WattFlyer.

The right are it is. Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/Megatech-Chann...9560283&sr=8-2

If so it is not a bad little plane. It will be somewhat twitchy if it is windy at all. The one I saw at the field at our night fly in seem to cruise along pretty good. The lights are very bright and make it very easy to see to fly at night.

Good luck with it!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:43 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Oooo boy... not to bring you down but, planes like these are not really the best to get into the real Rc Hobby with(i say real as in spending hundreds of dollars compared to 30dollar 2ch planes) i've had this plane and i've never gotten it to fly(because i was not good at flyign planes before just a total dumby lol) broke a window with this plane... I threw it too hard looped, wings snapped and went through a window... yeah not good... anyways, most important thing is handlaunching the plane it has no speed control only on/off... and control is not proportional its just a bigger version of a uhhh... not really sure of what plane has on/off thottle any more, those old walmart cox fighter planes they have that... gotta launch it by a bungee

just be carefull give it full throttle and give it a good level slightly upwards launch, and also fly in a big area, i imagine it would turn kinda slowly...

good luck!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:08 AM
Kavurcen
Neurotic

Yep, that's it. Thanks.
Oh, bye the way, the park where I've flown my little air hogs has a really long asphalt path that makes a great takeoff strip (I'm not so sure about landing). And as for you, GreenAce92, I guess I'll just have to hope I have better luck than you lol
Old 12-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

The best biginner plane? The Multiplex Easy Star.
http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Star-Elec...9573540&sr=8-1

CTD
Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Kavurcen
Neurotic

No, the sky hawk (rc powers) is the same thing but cheaper. Oh well. Too late, too bad.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:15 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Kavurcen View Post
No, the sky hawk (rc powers) is the same thing but cheaper. Oh well. Too late, too bad.
No, it just looks like it. The Easy Star is a much better plane.

When you start in this sport (most any sport really) the junk at first glance looks like the good stuff. It's even more complicated with the electrics because you can't see in side them. After awhile and some experience you start to get the hang of it.

My first plane was a Megatech. It wouldn't fly....period. I even got a guy with years of experience to try it without success. I don't consider it a failure though. I learned to never buy anything RC without doing a bit of research on it. If a plane doesn't have a large and active discussion, you likely don't want it.

Hopefully your results will be a bit better. If not, well, a lesson learned. Most of the good ones are learned the hard way.

Next time get the Easy Star. If you gotta go dirt cheap the Wild Hawk may do but expect more frustrations.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:18 AM
Kavurcen
Neurotic

No off, flydiver, but I trust Dave Powers more than you, even if he's just trying to get my money (I also just don't have the budget for the Easy Star)
Old 12-20-2008, 02:11 AM
R6_Infantry

I have the easy star, and have seen the hawk at the field, there is no comparison other than the looks, it stops there. RC Powers has great vids and a ton of knowledge and can make anything fly. The Hawk is a cheap knock off of the easy star, and yes it does fly. Now back to the orig post, Megatech IMHO are mostly low end knock off's, but you gotta start somewhere. Try not to get in the phase of trying to "hop it up" as the money you spend to make it better will be better spent on quality gear or a better plane. I am a NOOB and I approve of this post.

p.s. I am barely past the Air Hogs stage myself...LOL
Old 12-20-2008, 03:14 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

No off, flydiver, but I trust Dave Powers more than you, even if he's just trying to get my money (I also just don't have the budget for the Easy Star)
None taken. Do me (and yourself) a favor. Keep track of the cost of the damage. See where it ends up. I've been there as have lots of others. Just trying to save you the grief. Personally I buy a lot of quality used gear from the groups. Most of the deals are good, some are excellent, only a couple have been so so, and I've never been outright burned. I can't sa as much from buying new gear from some of the larger on line retailers. I've become very leery of cheap stuff off eBay. It's often garbage. You have to be a pretty informed shopper.

Last edited by flydiver; 12-20-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 AM
jbs127845

that plane will fly but I would not recomend it to a beginner
Old 12-23-2008, 06:20 PM
fireflyer

If you dont have the budget for the easy star, then go for the HOBBYZONE SUPER CUB!!
By Far this is the BEST plane that a beginner could possibly buy, I started out with a cheap air hogs plane, then I went up to a firebird freedom (which was a huge disappointment for me), and finally I bought a Super cub, which was amazing!
Please take it into consideration,
MAtt
Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

For $159.00 The Cub is a great plane ready to fly out of the box. The thing I like about the ES is no need to buy xtra props.

CTD
Old 12-24-2008, 05:06 AM
P51_Mustang

Default RC opowers

Yep, that's it. Thanks.
Oh, bye the way, the park where I've flown my little air hogs has a really long asphalt path that makes a great takeoff strip (I'm not so sure about landing). And as for you, GreenAce92, I guess I'll just have to hope I have better luck than you lol
every once and a while yyou might see me on rc powers chatroom on ustream im RIFlyer08

Old 12-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Kavurcen
Neurotic

Cool

Thanks for all the great advice, guys, but I'm stuck with the Megatech until I can scrape together a couple hundred bucks for a better plane (I actually received that plane as an early Christmas gift... if I crash it, I got it for free)
At this point, any suggestions to advance to the next level?

Bye the way, I might try to sell it online... the price went from $60, to $130, to $240, and now it's unavailable... maybe I could sell it for $100, make a quick buck, then buy a wild hawk? heh heh heh
Old 12-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Monkeyboy

If you sell it get a supercub.

The supercub was my first and second plane.

yes it was both.

started out as the out of the box wonderful to fly plane.

and now as my second plane it is a brushless.
aileron trainer.

it is easy to mod. flies great in both forms.
I now have a good radio with a ten model memory and am ready to expand with more planes. and at anytime I can swap in all the original equipment to teach some one else to fly.

send me a private message and I can help you with all the little things I have learned. it will save you a little searching of the internet.

in the meantime search this site for supercub and see what can be done with it.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Kavurcen
Neurotic

Question

Which supercub are you referring to?
Old 12-25-2008, 05:39 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Hobby Zone Super Cub
Old 12-25-2008, 06:06 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

There are some other 'Cubs' being sold on other sites that sound attractive. The advertising is great: [fly great, brushless motor, lipo, ailerons, 4channel, etc]. Don't fall for it. Crap electrics, fragile Styrofoam body/wing, crummy landing gear, all around a poor product. If it sounds too good to be true for the money, probably is.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:52 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
If you sell it get a supercub.

The supercub was my first and second plane.

yes it was both.

started out as the out of the box wonderful to fly plane.

and now as my second plane it is a brushless.
aileron trainer.

it is easy to mod. flies great in both forms.
I now have a good radio with a ten model memory and am ready to expand with more planes. and at anytime I can swap in all the original equipment to teach some one else to fly.

send me a private message and I can help you with all the little things I have learned. it will save you a little searching of the internet.

in the meantime search this site for supercub and see what can be done with it.
haha... wonder where you learned all that from....

Ps, Hobbyzone Super cub all the way...

SK
Old 12-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Kavurcen
Neurotic

Thumbs up

Well, it's Christmas, I finally assembled the Night Flyer (I'd been–with difficulty–holding myself off from opening it until now), and I'm actually surprised by the quality of the build (in a good way). The wings are, obviously, styrofoam, although they seem reasonably tough, and are held on to the fuselage with two thick rubber bands (It sounds awful, I know, but it comes with spares, the rubber bands are really thick, and it allows the wings some freedom to move instead of being rigid so they won't just snap off). The fuselage itself is made of some sort of rubber over an inner layer of the same tough styrofoam, and seems like it can take a few crashes. The servos to the rudder are internal, unlike some other cheap planes *cough* airhogs *cough* I've flown. Overall, I am impressed with the general standard of quality that I've seen on the plane. I haven't had much of a chance to test it out (It's been pretty windy out here in Marin, and the guide says not to fly in winds over 5 mph–A lesson I learned the hard way when I spend $20 bucks on my first plane a while back–a little foam airhog F-22 that snapped in half when it had an unfortunate encounter with my neighbor's chimney). I'll post back when it's taken its "maiden voyage". Thanks again for all the great advice you gave a little noob pilot
-BTW-
Do you think I should publish some of that as a review of the plane?
Old 12-25-2008, 04:43 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Do you think I should publish some of that as a review of the plane?
Absolutely. Make sure to preface with your experience building and flying for a reference.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Kavurcen
Neurotic

Smile

Yep, you'll be able to find it in the parkflyer section soon
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Kavurcen
Neurotic

Default Dang...

There was no wind today, clear blue skies, and the field was empty save for me. Then the first disappointment: The plane still hasn't charged. I started charging it from the controller when I first got to the field. That was 6 hours ago. The second disappointment: It appeared to be charged at one point, and when I set it down to take off, if veered to the right and flipped over. I cut the engine, but the plane didn't respond and the motor kept going until the propellor snapped on the tarmac.
Needless to say, I am returning it and buying the Wild Hawk.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 AM
sorta

A two channel plane that big? I dont see that going over well.

It looks like a more expensive verison of the HZ supercub......

Quick Reply: Is my little noob plane any good?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11455 seconds with 11 queries