Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

help with a beginner decision please

Old 10-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Andy_L

Default help with a beginner decision please

ok so I am going to buy a FIRST model. I have lots of experience with cars etc so the reverse controls/coming towards you, doesn't worry me. I also have FULL size flying experience (I'm guessing that this could be the a plus OR a minus) so i get the aerodynamics etc.

I'm trying to decide between a um Champ (too fragile?), a PKZ Radian, or a SuperCub LP.

Also, this will be self taught (i know i know....)

any insight would be greatly appreciated...also any others i should throw into the decision pit with these 3 listed??

Thanks

Andy
Old 10-20-2010, 06:43 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi Andy
Welcome aboard
Im pleased to meet you
Any one of the planes you mention would be fine for the begining rc pilot
Of the 3 my personal favorite would be the Super Cub
The full size flying experiance wont be of much help with learning to fly any of these
Take care
Hank
Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Andy_L

i have to admit that i am leaning towards the Champ because if the small area requirements. I have some BIG fields within a few minutes...but the Champ i could actually fly in my front yard....any reason to avoid the Champ (other than its tiny)??

yes if budget allowed i would buy all 3 but that isn't the case

Edit: cuz huked un foniks wrked fer mee
Old 10-20-2010, 07:17 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by Andy_L View Post
i have to admit that i am leaning towards the Champ because if the small area requirements. I have some BIG fields within a few minutes...but the Champ i could actually fly in my front yard....any reason to avoid the Champ (other than its tiny)??
Hi
No reason at all
In fact i have many ultra micros i fly out doors
Heres a few
http://www.rchangout.com/forums/album.php?albumid=74
The only issue with small aircraft is wind, smaller planes wont handle as much so you will need relatively calm days to fly them outdoors
So if you want the Champ go for it
Take care
Hank
Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Bill Linske

Andy,

I've just built a Multiplex Fun Cub with flaps. It is a terrific flyer and a great beginners airplane. The other suggestion is the Multiplex EasyStar, which is a great trainer. They won't do well in your front yard, but ar pretty rugged planes and are easy to repair with just CA glue. If you want to start with a four axis airplane the Fun Cub is the best bet. I'm sure you'll get a number of airplanes to look at, but from experience I believe these are among the best.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:59 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Although I do not have one, the Champ is probably the best plane learning to fly in tight spaces. Front yard might be a bit too small... you will need at least the space of a ball diamond to fly one.

As others noted, fly on calm days only.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Leo L

Hi Andy,

The Champ is a great way to start. Figure that as a minimum you will need an area that is 200ft. x 200ft.

Before you try flying for the first time, read and memorize the Six Keys To Success sticky at the beginning of this forum, written by Ed Anderson.

Once you become proficient with the Champ you will be in a better position to know what to want to grow into and there will be lots of advice available to you.

There are very nice people on this forum, but unfortunately it's not very active. You might want to check out RCGroups beginner's section for more info and assistance.

My recommended planes for beginner's are the Champ, SuperCub and EasyStar, in that order.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Andy_L

thanks for the help guys

I'll have a look at the multiplex as well

space isn't an issue. I have access to HUGE farm fields not more than 2 or 3 minutes from home...also my front yard, if i went UM, is ball diamond size...no issues there (ok there's one plane grabbing tree to deal with).

Just wondering which of the choices is best suited to self-taught flying while causing the least damage to the aircraft I DO know better than to think NO damage hehehe
Old 10-21-2010, 03:22 PM
tehlump

thanks for the help guys

space isn't an issue. I have access to HUGE farm fields not more than 2 or 3 minutes from home...also my front yard, if i went UM, is ball diamond size...no issues there (ok there's one plane grabbing tree to deal with).

Just wondering which of the choices is best suited to self-taught flying while causing the least damage to the aircraft I DO know better than to think NO damage hehehe

I have a Super Cub and a Champ. I am also completely new to flying and taught myself without the help of an experienced pilot.

If you have to fly in your front yard the champ is the only choice...it's small and maneuverable. Make sure to read the instructions on how to slow the control rate (press down on the right stick). Also, it's been mentioned before, but do not attempt to fly it in any wind over calm to a couple mph. The plane is very light and will get bounced around which will probably lead you to overcontrol it.

The super cub is also a fun plane, it just needs a larger area...and it can handle more wind than the champ due to its size.

I will say this...I don't/didn't like the transmitter that comes with the SC. The throttle slider is crap in my opinion. I have shelved the SC until I can replace the electronics so that I can fly it with my 2.4ghz transmitter.

My belief is that anyone can teach themselves to fly as long as you understand the fundamentals of flight. Yes you will crash but honestly I even think that is fun...it gives you 'war' stories!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Bill Linske

thanks for the help guys

Andy, again, I'd look at the Fun Cub from Multiplex. Go to RCGroups.com under "Foamies- Kits" and check the Fun Cub blog. Lots of great videos and comments.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Andy_L

thanks Bill...i will definitely have a look at the funcub as well
Old 10-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Bill Linske

thanks Bill...i will definitely have a look at the funcub as well
Andy, Good luck and most important have fun. It is a great hobby.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Default Multiplex

Hi,
I'm pretty new to RC flight myself having gone through the beginner stage myself this year.
All of the advice you've had so far is great and comes from people with real knowledge and experience.
For my contribution I'd like to add that if you like the look of the multiplex easystar then also consider the Dynam Hawk Sky. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFkKYnrLYjo
The Multiplex is (I believe) a 3 channel pusher style foam glider equipped with a brushed motor and ESC.
The Hawk Sky is an easystar clone also made of very tough and easily repairable EPP foam.
The difference is that it's a 4 channel plane and its equipped with a 400 brushless motor and 18A brushless ESC.
If you want to learn to fly using Rudder and elevator (like the multiplex) you can disconnect the ailerons until you're ready.
If you'd prefer to learn without rudder then simply disconnect it and connect up the ailerons instead and finally when you're ready you can connect everything up and fly 4 channels.

The other 2 great advantages are that the Hawk Sky comes complete with a radio, charger and LIPO battery and retails in the States at just over $100!
Check out RC Powers videos on Youtube - you'll see how tough and forgiving the Hawk Sky (not to be confused with the other dynam easystar clone the Skyhawk!) is. http://www.youtube.com/user/RCSuperP...26/oH85TNw8F20

Whichever way you choose to go I hope it gives you the same pleasure that I've had in the last year!
Welcome aboard!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

ok so I am going to buy a FIRST model. I have lots of experience with cars etc so the reverse controls/coming towards you, doesn't worry me. I also have FULL size flying experience (I'm guessing that this could be the a plus OR a minus) so i get the aerodynamics etc.

I'm trying to decide between a um Champ (too fragile?), a PKZ Radian, or a SuperCub LP.

Also, this will be self taught (i know i know....)

any insight would be greatly appreciated...also any others i should throw into the decision pit with these 3 listed??

Thanks

Andy
My experience mirrors yours Andy, right down to the full scale stuff.

I started with the Ember2, then the Radian, a Beaver, on to a T-34. All in 8 months.

If I were to be doing it again I woud start with the Champ (for all the reasons you, and others list).

Other than that, I am very pleased with my choices and my progress.

As an aside, I still fly the Ember2 simply because I can fly it in my yard!

...The Bum
Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Andy_L

thanks for the words of encouragement and the ideas guys. much appreciated
Old 10-22-2010, 02:56 AM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tehlump View Post
I will say this...I don't/didn't like the transmitter that comes with the SC. The throttle slider is crap in my opinion. I have shelved the SC until I can replace the electronics so that I can fly it with my 2.4ghz transmitter.
Off topic here, but useful information:

Assuming you have a full range DSM2 radio (DX5e or better), you can just buy the DSM2 RX/Brick from the new BNF Supercub (#HBZ7357) for $45. Then all you need is a couple HXT900 servos and you're ready to fly.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:44 AM
max-nix
max-nix

Hello Andy
There are many good first airplanes to choose from & everyone has a favorite.
In my experience the Champ is a perfect choice if you have calm weather! The air is often calm early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

It is inexpensive & quick to get airborne.
The yellow color scheme is very visible in the air.
The initial cost includes everything you need.
Although it appears fragile the light weight makes it durable.
Replacement parts are very inexpensive.
Replacement parts are often available from your local hobby shop.
Extra batteries are inexpensive.
The batteries are easy to change.
You do not need a computer radio, expo is not needed.
Flight times range from 10 to 20 minutes (depending on your battery
choice),
The stock motor cruises the Champ at half throttle & is capable of multiple loops & other basic maneuvers.
The Champ is fun to fly & easy to land, very good for building your confidence.

Yes I own one & have enjoyed many flights from the Champ.

Remember, when flying,trees are your enemy!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
tehlump

Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
Off topic here, but useful information:

Assuming you have a full range DSM2 radio (DX5e or better), you can just buy the DSM2 RX/Brick from the new BNF Supercub (#HBZ7357) for $45. Then all you need is a couple HXT900 servos and you're ready to fly.
Great idea, I hadn't thought of that...Perfect!

To the author, if you get a champ go ahead and get a few replacement parts at the same time. I have found that if you have a spare tail assembly, gearbox and prop you are prepared for repairs to the systems that are most often damaged. Like the others said though the Champ is very tough due to its light weight. My son will often accidentally nose dive from 15' or more and the plane shrugs it off...It's my goto plane right at dusk where I can peacefully float around the yard at half throttle or less. It's loads of fun.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Kickstart

I'm reading this with interest.... I've had a wingdragon 3 for a few months now which me and my 12yr old son have taught ourselves to fly 3 channels and i'm planning to get us a champ each for xmas so we can fly together, looking forward to the dogfights..ha ha..! we live next door to a large highschool so in the evenings and weekends we have access to some really nice flying sites depending on what side of the school you fly,but one of the main reasons I decided on the champ is it's ability to fly in confined spaces mainly the sports hall which isn't used on fri/sat/sun nights and the caretaker said I could have the key... not sure how easy the champ will be to fly in such a confined space, its not that big, maybe a basketball court size but on a rainy sunday night i'm willing to give it a go...
I've been on all the forums and read as much as I can about the champ and I haven't read a bad thing about it, nothing but praise...can't wait for xmas morning....
Not sure if this is off topic or not but how many batteries would you get if you were buying a champ..? don't want to spend xmas day waiting for batteries to charge...
Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 PM
tehlump

Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
I'm reading this with interest.... I've had a wingdragon 3 for a few months now which me and my 12yr old son have taught ourselves to fly 3 channels and i'm planning to get us a champ each for xmas so we can fly together, looking forward to the dogfights..ha ha..! we live next door to a large highschool so in the evenings and weekends we have access to some really nice flying sites depending on what side of the school you fly,but one of the main reasons I decided on the champ is it's ability to fly in confined spaces mainly the sports hall which isn't used on fri/sat/sun nights and the caretaker said I could have the key... not sure how easy the champ will be to fly in such a confined space, its not that big, maybe a basketball court size but on a rainy sunday night i'm willing to give it a go...
I've been on all the forums and read as much as I can about the champ and I haven't read a bad thing about it, nothing but praise...can't wait for xmas morning....
Not sure if this is off topic or not but how many batteries would you get if you were buying a champ..? don't want to spend xmas day waiting for batteries to charge...
I fly my champ in my front yard easily...it's about 1/2 acre and I really only fly on one side...dodging all the trees while I zip around. I could easily fly in a basketball court and have a ball doing it.

I have two batteries for it, using conservative throttle I can easily fly for 15 minutes or more...enough to have my dogs begging for a break, they chase it constantly, it's a fun game. Fortunately my dogs are well trained and will immediately break the chase if I tell them 'leave it', makes the landings easier on the plane. It couldn't handle a dog chewing on it!

I have fun with two batteries, I guess it just depends on how much flying you intend to do in one session. Three batteries would probably get you close to being able fly continuously. The great thing is that they're cheap, the stock replacements are around $12...I've been looking at the upgraded batteries, 300mah or so, the plane could easily take the weight. Now I just need to find some good connectors!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:43 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tehlump View Post
I've been looking at the upgraded batteries, 300mah or so, the plane could easily take the weight. Now I just need to find some good connectors!
I fly my micro's (UM J-3 Cub and BMCX2) using Hyperion G3 160mAh cells. They hold up very well to high amp draws... much better than the stock lipos, and have a very flat discharge curve. Plus they can be safely charged at rates up to 5C... that means 12 minute charge times!

The Hyperion UM batteries in the familiar 'stick of gum' format are available in 70, 100, 130, and 160mAh capacities. They also have larger 180 and 240mAh packs using the same UM connectors.

AlleRC is the best source I have found for Hyperion Lipos:

http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPath=3_4_93_155
Old 10-22-2010, 11:31 PM
max-nix
max-nix

info Champ Batteries

Hyperion UM 160 batteries in the familiar 'stick of gum' format are the beat performing batteries, but a close second are Hobby King Turnigy nano-tech 160mah 1S 25~40C Lipo Pack batteries at a more friendly price.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...Product=11893#

The Turnigy batteries are normally on back order, so place an order for 4 to still get the $2.99 shipping and the total price will be under $10, The back order on these batteries has been filled fairly promptly recently.