Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
sandrocacciola

Friends: (0)
Default WOW! New Jet Freewing Phantom II F-4D 90mm edf semi-scale

Hi boys,
It is with great pleasure that I want to share with all of you fans this news about jet edf.
Browsing the web in the various modellism websites of the world I came across a few days ago in this novelty that I consider extremely interesting for two reasons: the first because it is presented by a company like Freewing which is now a reference point in the panorama of production and marketing of EDF jet in Epo; and secondly because it fills a gap in the Edf 90mm category of the jet subject reproduced: the legendary Phantom II F-4D!
I state that the new Jet Freewing will be available from May of this year but thanks to the contacts with Freewing (http://www.freewing-model.com) I managed to find all the information on the kit and I hope to have it in my hands before the official release.
The new Phantom II F-4D has a wingspan of 1030mm and a length of 1550mm for a weight of about 2850 grams. Two engines are available, one 6S with 9-blade fan and Esc with well 130A, and one for 8S with 12-blade fan and Esc 150A.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vista anteriore cono.jpg (267.5 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg Vista fianco Dx.jpg (238.2 KB, 530 views)
File Type: jpg In volo.jpg (214.2 KB, 500 views)
Old 02-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
sandrocacciola

Reading on the various specialized forums, Freewing had received in recent years several requests from modellers and dealers of a timeless jet like the Phantom but with important dimensions, flight characteristics that were docile enough and that it was "ready to fly" (PNP)...
Hence the long design and implementation study that took two years but seems to have paid off. Finally a beautiful jet that does not disappear alongside the other big Freewing, the A-10.
The Phantom II F-4D, just to meet the needs of all modellers, is equipped with particularly robust "oleo-strut" landing trolleys that allow its use even for grassy runners. Under the model there are the gondolas were also designed to minimize the damage to the structure in case of overly hard landings beyond normal limits.
Follow me in the coming days that I will reveal the secrets of this fantastic model ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Set kit.jpg (304.7 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg Vista dietro scarichi a terra.jpg (269.0 KB, 466 views)
File Type: jpg Vista laterale Dx a terra.jpg (240.7 KB, 473 views)
Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (64)

Looks nice, and in case anyone is wondering the OY on the tail is from Udorn AB Thailand.

Vietnam era and they flew F-4D models with the USAF 555 TFSq, 432 TRWg Udorn They did not fly C models.

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
Old 02-14-2018, 09:38 PM   #4
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

View crxmanpat's Gallery20
Club: Arizona Model Aviators, Gilbert Quiet Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

I pre-ordered the Kit+ (no power system) the second it was available, so I made the first batch due in April. I plan to stick a JetFan 90 in it with a HET 700-68-1680 motor for 8S.

I will be applying decals to recreate Col. Robin Olds bird. I already had the graphics from Callie as I was going to put them on an LX F-4, but they will go on here instead.

Motion unveiled this beautiful bird at the 14th Annual Arizona Electric Festival this past weekend, and I got to see it up close and personal. I took a few videos as well.

I'm very excited about this release!

Pat Gagnon
Old 02-14-2018, 11:49 PM   #5
Don Sims
Administrator

View Don Sims's Gallery114
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (40)

Great videos and a great looking model Pat.

Take care and thanks for posting at WattFlyer!!

Don
Old 02-15-2018, 03:03 AM   #6
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (64)

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I pre-ordered the Kit+ (no power system) the second it was available, so I made the first batch due in April. I plan to stick a JetFan 90 in it with a HET 700-68-1680 motor for 8S.

I will be applying decals to recreate Col. Robin Olds bird. I already had the graphics from Callie as I was going to put them on an LX F-4, but they will go on here instead.

I'm very excited about this release!
I never had the pleasure of meeting Col. Olds but I did have a chance to meet Gen Steven Ritchie. He came and spoke to my USAF recruiting school class when I was there. One of the coolest people I have ever had the pleasure of hearing speak. I actually got to speak one on one with him for several minutes talking about my Osan AB days when they were still flying the F-4E's there. Something I will always remember.

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
Old 02-16-2018, 01:55 AM   #7
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)

Hopeful there will be a J version livery in future batches. Met a guy in the hotel bar a weeks ago who was a crew chief at Osan. I had my Phantom ball cap on he struck up a conversation. He showed me over 109 pics from his iPhone a few with Robin Olds. Very cool stories.

I went overboard last year with the A-10, A4, BAE Hawk and the B-24 Lib.
But I must have the long awaited F4.

Will do later this year. But give me a J so I don’t have to paint over the very nicely done SEA Camo ! Lol

Hawk
Old 02-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
sandrocacciola

Yes, it's true: these is a nice model... But let's move on.
The new Phantom Freewing (http://www.freewing-model.com) in the PNP kit, as tradition, requires only Rx (6 ch minimum) and battery (minimum 6S 5000Mah). Everything else is included in the box. The assembly does not require special precautions and it is sufficient to follow the photographic instructions included in the kit. Some assembly-related solutions are similar to those used for the Yak 130 (movement of the whole mobile part, double carbon bayonet for the wings ...). Also interesting is the electronic connection system of the wings that takes place with the fuselage with a multiconnector that facilitates the operation.

In the new kit appreciable the details that enhance the beauty both on the ground and in flight. The landing lights are of great effect with the double lights mounted on the front gear door and the colored ones on the wing edges (missing on the wing carriages ...); the reproduction of the rivets, the stopping hook and the whole set of missiles and sub-wings tanks with the relative removable support pylons are interesting. On the other hand, an optional set of highly detailed accessories is available with also the Mk H-7 ejection seats and the hi-resolution instrument panel panels. In addition, you can download free 3D-ready files for plastic parts for free!

The F-4C jet comes pre-painted in the classic SEA Camo and proudly exhibits the friezes of the 555th TFS and for this a complete set of scaled stickers for this model have been made and which do not have the classic transparent but it's without margin.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Connettore ali.jpg (356.1 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg Luci ali dettaglio.jpg (209.8 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg Luci carrello anteriore.jpg (284.0 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg Set piloni alari e rinvii.jpg (242.7 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg Vista inferiore ali.jpg (260.0 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg Vista pancia a terra con luci.jpg (513.2 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg Kit accessori.jpg (819.7 KB, 387 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

I'll make one correction to the post above. This is actually an F-4D model, not the C model. However, the free 3D files will include parts to do a C model chin after removing the D model plastic parts from the bottom of the nose cone.

Pat Gagnon
Old 02-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #10
sandrocacciola

Sorry... It's true. F-4D...
Old 02-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
sandrocacciola

An RC model aircraft of such a large size remains easily transportable with a magnetic removable fiber front cone and removable wings with a comfortable connect system multi-point contact that attaches to each root of the wing. Efficient flaps, brass ball joints for moving parts, reliable control hardware, and all-digital servos (all optimized to avoid weight gain on the model) provide secure control; finally it's important underline the mechanism of the whole mobile elevator like the specially designed original that incorporates two ball bearings for a smooth and safe rotation in every situation.
The Freewing 90mm F-4 Phantom II as mentioned is available in two versions. The Standard version requires a LiPo 6S 5000-6000 mAh battery and is the best recommendation for pilot looking for the best balance between speed, thrust and cost. The "High Performance" version requires an 8S 5000 mAh LiPo battery and offers more performance and vertical acceleration. The High Performance version is recommended for Advanced pilots only because of the faster aircraft envelope and the heavier flying characteristics.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #12
sandrocacciola

Having not yet been able to fly the new Phantom (but I think I can receive it in March) I must take for good what the designers and builders of the new Freewqing Phantom II 90mm edf emphasize: a great job of optimizing the aerodynamics to ensure that the model not have critical behavior in flight.
Aware, therefore, that the true Phantom's flight characteristics were based on high speed thanks to two powerful turbine engines rather than an efficient aerodynamic profile, several key design elements specific to reproduction in the Rc jet were incorporated into these model in reduced scale, and this in order to obtain the expected flight characteristics with the result, again according to Freewing, to have a surprisingly agile Phantom and with good aerodynamics that lands slowly and has a very high vertical climbing performance.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vista posteriore elevator.jpg (378.5 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg Vista su pista led accesi.jpg (241.3 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg Dettaglio missili alari.jpg (638.7 KB, 364 views)
Old 02-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
sandrocacciola

Some modellist asked me some links to see the new Phantom Freewing 90m edf jet. Here are some pages. Material is not too. Marketing has yet to start ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlSxAKd9hY8
Download Freewing F-4 Phantom II 90mm Super Scale EDF Jet - Motion RC Announcement. - GenYoutube.net
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUpQ11A25_4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baImN3sF4Eg
Freewing F-4D Phantom II 90mm EDF Jet - PNP Rc Airplane Freewing Official Retail Store.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #14
sandrocacciola

Currently Freewing have sold out for the first batch pre-order of models mainly in non-EU countries, while the second lot is in pre-order these days but at the moment in Italy I have not seen any retailer who has it in the reservation. You can also buy directly from the Freewing website. Currently the request seems to be higher than expected. In Italy, as often happens, the new Phantom could delay the commercialization.The pre-order price in the US is currently around $ 455.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg In pista.jpg (770.9 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Particolare copckit.jpg (577.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Vista volo pancia.jpg (221.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Scheda caratteristiche PNP.jpg (406.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot pagina Freewing.jpg (862.6 KB, 189 views)
Old 03-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #15
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Got my F-4 last Tuesday, but was out of town for work until Thursday night. Friday and Saturday were spent getting it built, getting the JF90 installed, and then weathering and decals.

Successful maiden and second flight yesterday! Maiden was done with the full load out, and the second was done with just the Sparrows attached. I am extremely pleased with the JF90 and HET 700-68-1680 setup on 8S. I get a solid 3 minutes with lots of full throttle, and 22-25% left in the packs afterwards. Without the ordnance on she's pretty fast with excellent vertical performance.

To finish this model off, I did the panel lines with charcoal pencil and a hard bristle brush to blend them, added some dirty wash underneath, and sealed with Testors Dullcote. I used most of the decals from the kit, but ordered the set of Col. Olds' SCAT XXVII from Callie. Her decals came out perfect!

Didn't get to use flaps today as we had a pretty stiff breeze down the runway. Also no video as I had nobody on hand to run the camera. So you'll just have to settle for still pics on the ground for now.

And no, I'm not holding the plane out away from my body in the last 2 pics, it's literally right up against my chest. That's how big this thing is!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1551.JPG (5.38 MB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1552.JPG (4.50 MB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1553.JPG (2.94 MB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1554.JPG (3.71 MB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1555.JPG (22.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1557.JPG (3.40 MB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1558.JPG (3.20 MB, 112 views)

Pat Gagnon
Old 03-27-2018, 01:15 AM   #16
Don Sims
Administrator

Awards Showcase

That is one large sharp looking model Pat!

Don
Old 03-27-2018, 03:50 AM   #17
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Thanks Don! She's a great flyer too. Only got two flights on her so far, but plan to get many more in the near future!

Pat Gagnon
Old 04-01-2018, 07:27 PM   #18
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Here's some video from yesterday.

Pat Gagnon
Old 04-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #19
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

Certainly well powered !

Nice one.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 04-03-2018, 12:58 AM   #20
Don Sims
Administrator

Awards Showcase

Very nice flying Phantom.

Don
Old 05-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #21
sandrocacciola

Dear friends
I'm sorry to inform you that my review of the new Phantom II 90mm Freewing can not go on. This is because Freewing, despite previous agreements, has pulled back and will not send me a Phantom II. Despite my pressures Freewing tell me that it's not available to practice a discount on the model price, but only to cut off a few dollars on the price. It is not for me a question of price but only of seriousness in respect of the commitments previously taken.
I'm sorry.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #22
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (21)

If you are in the EU, fear not: Motion RC , the exclusive US distributor for Freewing is coming to Europe. A great company with outstanding service. I consider them my LHS. The F-4 has now gone through 2 Pre-Orders as it's in high demand. Expecting the 3rd batch to be in regular stock by June sometime. That's when I pull the trigger on the ARF+ as I already have a 90mm edf and esc setup waiting in the wings. In fact, I already have Callie Graphics for a F4J version- Go Navy ! So re-paint Navy gray and add the VF-11 Sundowners livery.

Freewing has sold to the ROW( Rest of World) mainly though RC Castle but they are not offering the Phantom just yet.

The thing is, Alpha Enos from Motion is the chief design collaborator with Freewing and their collabration brand Flightline. He's seamlessly part of the design engineering team that develops new edf's under the Freewing brand and new propeller driven Warbirds under the Flightline brand. I recently purchased and built the Flightline B-24 Liberator. What a masterpeice of a design. The quality is second to none.

Here's the link to the discussion on opening Europe:

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...rc-goes-abroad

Hobby Squawk is Motion's forum but not limited to what Motion sells.. It's very open and friendly like WF

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Electric Ducted Fan Jets