Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

KMP EP Beaver

Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Default KMP EP Beaver

Anyone seen one of the new KMP EP Beavers?
59 Inch w/span, Fibreglass fuselage and a better price than the E- Flite Beaver.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:44 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bellakelpie View Post
Anyone seen one of the new KMP EP Beavers?
59 Inch w/span, Fibreglass fuselage and a better price than the E- Flite Beaver.
maybe these links might help you, Take care, Chellie

http://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?p...208cd5cda9c46e

http://www.kmp.ca/advanced_search_re...sort=3d&page=3

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?p=11875654

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852482

http://www.midamericahobbies.com/air...d7d6a848f0d427

Beaver 59"$159.95
Click to enlarge
A smaller version of our flagship model! Designed for Electric power!
Wingpan: 58"
Radio: 4 channels, 5 servos
Weight: 5 lbs
Epoxy resin fiberglass fuselage and cowl. Built up balsa wings.
Motor(KV) :600rpm/v
Old 04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Thanks Chellie. Unfortunately the links do not give me anything that I don't already know. I am aware of the KMP website and RC Groups thread 852482 deals with a conversion of the KMP 96 inch w/span giant scale offering. Too big for my hangar.

Seeing the smaller EP version was only released on 1st April this year, I am wondering whether anyone out there in R?C land has actually aquired one yet?

They won't be available "downunder" for some months yet and I am interested in finding out if the kit is worth while substitute for the vastly overpriced E-Flite offering. (The OZ distributor for E-Flite is asking 1/2 the national debt for a Beaver kit.)
Old 04-18-2009, 10:32 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bellakelpie View Post
Thanks Chellie. Unfortunately the links do not give me anything that I don't already know. I am aware of the KMP website and RC Groups thread 852482 deals with a conversion of the KMP 96 inch w/span giant scale offering. Too big for my hangar.

Seeing the smaller EP version was only released on 1st April this year, I am wondering whether anyone out there in R?C land has actually aquired one yet?

They won't be available "downunder" for some months yet and I am interested in finding out if the kit is worth while substitute for the vastly overpriced E-Flite offering. (The OZ distributor for E-Flite is asking 1/2 the national debt for a Beaver kit.)
LOL I dont want you to have to pay off Half the nations Debt for a beaver I looked around too for a good price, but they are not that availible , Good luck to you in finding one, Chellie

you might be interested in one of the planes below, great price too

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._48.9_inch_ARF

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...72_Skyline_ARF
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/23066

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18770

couple of more planes that you might be interested in, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

I don't have the KMP Beaver - but the KMP kits I have had are all excellent quality and well represented for scale detail.

That Beaver is smaller than the e-flite (I do have that one). So may not be as much price difference as you think.

One thing I DO NOT LIKE about KMP stuff - weight. They are typically heavy. This one shows 5lbs and is almost 9% smaller than the e-flite but my larger e-flite with the power 32 motor and 4s pack is UNDER 5lbs.

And even though KMP says 5lb's - I bet it is more (typical of their stuff). That comes from the glass fuse.

The KMP stuff is "builder" stuff - you will have stuff to build - and generally not rookie stuff either! So if you don't have a few kits under you, again the price may require more work.

So good stuff - great scale detail, but heavy is my suspicion. But I have NOT seen it - to to be fair that is speculation. It is odd nobody seams to have it....

Mike
Old 04-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Hi Mike and Chellie,
Building not a problem. Been building (and crashing) models since the 1960's (control line in those days) -- and ARF's since the 1st lousy ones (when compared to today's stuff) appeared on the scene. Still have a couple of those very early offerings unbuilt. Occasionally I open one of them up and see what resides inside the box. It makes me shudder when I see. Not worth the effort to put them together either. They'd last 5 minutes they are so crappy.

I started in Electrics in 2004 with a Brushed, Speed 400 powered ALFA FW -190A foamie (which I still have. It's still in one piece and still flies occasionaly)

I also have an ancient AIRSAIL Beaver (New Zealand made balsa kit, circa 2000) powered by a Magnum .32 but do want a bigger version of that plane. Hence my interest in the E-FLite and KMP versions.

Anyway, I suspected that the weight of the KMP offering would be heavier than the E-Flite one, seeing it has a 'glass fuse, but I feel that putting something like an E-Flite 46 or Hobby City sourced equivalant in it, would probably get around that.

I have found a comment elsewhere, that someone has already gotten hold of one and converted it to 2 stroke power, so it certainly has to be "sturdy" to do that. There was no report, just a comment in another thread about another model.

The local distributor here was asking the equivalent of US $271 for an E-Flite Beaver. Outrageous!. For a few more $$ I could have bought the Deuces Wild Twin. So the prospect of a cheaper offering-- even though it is slightly smaller, makes more sense to my wallet. As an aside, it will be interesting to see if he drops his price, now that the Aust $ is strengthening against the US $. Frankly, I doubt it.

Chellie, I own a mix of "Spark's" and "Slimer's". (My wife says I have too many) Included in the latter are 2 ARC Cessna C177 Cardinals (one on floats, which gets little work seeing we are in the middle of a drought here. Most lakes etc that we used to fly off, are now bone dry)
I have more than enough aerobatic models. (I draw the line at 3D planes though. Not my cup of tea.)

Even have a couple of EP Helo's, which I fly rather badly.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions. I will sit it out and wait for the KMP Beaver to appear here and then check the price. KMP's are sold under the CM-PRO label down in this part of the world.

Maybe by then someone Stateside will have bought one and also posted a thread on their experience with it, on this site,

Cheers, Dave
Old 04-19-2009, 03:49 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Dave My father got me involved with CL with a Cox pt19 when i was about 12 yrs old, I Have been flying and making model planes for 43 yrs I am 55 but i look 29 I loved flying CL and model planes so much i never left it Why, is Fun If your wife complains about your planes, tell her your other Hobby is going to the beer bars and pool halls and chasing wild women, and tell her to take her pick Hope you find your Beaver soon, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Hi Chellie,
That puts you and I in the same age bracket. (I am 58).
And as for the wild women bit. My wife would laugh with derision if I told her I was chasing wild women..
She knows that I only get off on the sound, smell and sight of big Radial Piston Engines, such as Curtiss Wright's and Pratt and Whitney's. (See the Pics below)
The Cox PT-19!!!
Heck I started with one of those and taught myself to fly (and crash) on it. (The crash lessons came 1st)
I have one hanging up in my house (not the one from 1962, that's long disintergrated) along with 2 x Cox P40's, a Cox ME-109 and a Cox Stuka (Black) All of them are unflown but I reckon they are too valuable to fly now. But I don't think I could fly a C/L model these days. Been out of that part of the hobby too long.
Now you have really bought back memory's. Of kits by Keil Kraft and Frog, Pica and Top Flite. And the Australian Aeroflyte.
Of Compression (diesel) engines. Mills, Frog, Webra and Taipan.
(My 1st Glow engine other than the ubiquitous Cox ones, was an OS .25. without a muffler.)
Of the smell of Ether in the Diesel Fuel than came in big brown glass bottles.
Of sharing a prop around 4 or 5 of my buddies in the local park as we flew our respective models.
Of not having City officials telling us we were banned from flying in the local park.
Ah-- memory's. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HARS Connie 6 Avalon 2001.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	99174   Click image for larger version

Name:	HARS VH -EAG Avalon March 2007.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	99175  
Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I have had a few of those engines too, I had a Mccoy red head 35 glow motor in a buster CL, a flight streak, jr flight streak, voodoo wing, with a fox 40, i even had a torpedo 29 that i made to glow, it was an ignition engine that my uncle gave me, i had the hp 40 glow motors, OS, K&B, thunder tiger, i cant remember them all i even tried a diesel, with ether and kerosine, STINK STINK STINK those diesels STINK bad i had to drive home with my windows open, i gave those away I had a lot of Boy friends in JR High that were into Model Planes, and we always were building or flying planes, my electronics teacher in high school, was into building rubber power planes made with Bamboo and tissue paper, gee, i miss that wonderful smell of Dope when covering a wing with tissue paper I got my boys into flying CL too, with some baby flight streaks and 049 cox motors, they were not much into model aviation, but enjoyed a little of it, i even got them into model rockets, Now I am making and flying model rockets for my Grand kids, they Love it, and i have not forgot how to make a nice rocket, those left over monocote card board tubes work great with 6mm depron for tail feathers , as soon as they are a little older, i will get them into RC, I dont think i can do CL now, i will just get DIZZY Take care, Chellie
Old 08-28-2009, 02:31 PM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Yo Chellie,
Finally lashed out and bought an E-Flite Beaver.
A good friend found it for me (fellow WattFlyer contributor "up ya go".)
He went in to buy some bits and pieces from his LHS and saw 2 on the shelf.
The discounted price they were asking for the 2 (the last 2 in stock) was just too good to pass up.
Also have accumulated the necessary power bits and battery's for it, courtesy of United Hobbies.
Since we have a long continuing drought here, lakes with water in them for float flying are few and far between, so this one will be a "land plane".
Cheers
Dave