RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

E-Flite/Spectrum LPD5DSM Tx

Old 08-31-2009, 02:16 AM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Default E-Flite/Spectrum LPD5DSM Tx

This question may have been asked before, but right now I just do not have time to plough through the past threads on this page to see.

I normally fly on the Austraian spec 36 Mhz band. Recently I bought a "cheapy" foamy EP powered glider with the purpose of having something small to toss in the back of the car when going away on vacation. The model is small enough to fly in any suburban football ground or local park.
However, using 36Mhz in such areas can be fraught with "glitches". Viz-- not safe. 2.4ghz is obviously a better medium in such areas.
I have never had a problem on 36 Mhz with radio i/f where my local R/C clubs flying field is, being way out in a rural area.
Not wanting to buy a complete 2.4 Ghz for one cheap model. I am looking at alternatives. I have an LPD5DSM Tx that came with an E-Flite Blade CX2 helo that has long since "died". The Rx in the helo was a Spectrum AR6000e. According to E-Flites info, this Tx has Spectrum DSM2 technology built in.
My question is, does anyone know if I can use this Tx with a stand alone Spectrum AR6000 Rx?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:26 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Not sure where I read this but it seems like I remember it being said that that radio does not put out the power that a regular full range 2.4 tx does. It is designed to be used with indoor type models so the range is somewhat limited.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 AM
kirch

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Not sure where I read this but it seems like I remember it being said that that radio does not put out the power that a regular full range 2.4 tx does. It is designed to be used with indoor type models so the range is somewhat limited.
Yeah .. I remember reading the same thing somewhere ... might have been a posting from one of the guys at Horizon. The Tx only has a range of a couple hundred feet. I think that receiver is likewise not a full range receiver.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:53 AM
Twmaster

Ok, two problems.

1. The LP in the model designation on that TX is for 'Low Power' IT really only has like 200 foot range.

2. AR6000 is DSM1. IIRC the LP5DSM does not do DSM1. DSM2 only.

Good try though....

Old 08-31-2009, 03:43 AM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Thanks guys. I'll fit an ASSAN "hack" module into an old JR MAX 66. (Alternative no 2)
Old 08-31-2009, 03:45 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Mike the DSM2 Transmitters are backward compatible, You can link any of the DSM2's to the AR6000's. I do it all the time on my DX7... errrr X9303 now.