Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Blackhorse T-28 Trojan EP

Old 01-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Default Blackhorse T-28 Trojan EP

Has anyone had any experiences with the new, smaller (.32 2 stroke) sized Blackhorse T-28 Trojan? It's meant to be easily converted to E.P.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Starks

Default Blackhorse T-28 conversion

I have just completed a conversion to electric which I am very happy with. Used the following: E-Flight 25 brushless (reversed the shaft and it mounted straight into the supplied adapter), Dual Sky 40amp speedy, dual 2500Mah LiPoh's and JR375 servos. I left the rudder servo a bit larger as it has to drive the steering as well. I can supply photos if you need.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Starks View Post
I have just completed a conversion to electric which I am very happy with. Used the following: E-Flight 25 brushless (reversed the shaft and it mounted straight into the supplied adapter), Dual Sky 40amp speedy, dual 2500Mah LiPoh's and JR375 servos. I left the rudder servo a bit larger as it has to drive the steering as well. I can supply photos if you need.
Yeah, photos...WAHOOO! I'm a big fan of the T-28. Love to see your pics friend.

Mike
Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Yes, indeed Starks put them on. I am just waiting on some mini servo's (GWS Park F for all except the Rudder. I will use a Waypoint Metal Gear mini unit for the rudder for the same reason you have used the bigger JR.)
and then will kick off.

What prop size are you using Starks?

N.B. I was so impressed with the small T-28 that I have also ordered the big one.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Starks

Default T-28 Trojan

I'm going to try a JXF 10X5 - Still trial and error at this stage. Still have to check the current draw when time permits... It's the first time I've tried the JXF props but in the initial tests it seems very good. By the way what throws did you use on the surfaces? 20mm (R) and 15mm (A & E) each way seem a bit much???

PS I've put some photos in the gallery

Starks
Old 03-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

The JXK line seem to be good- certainly on initial visual although I have not actually used one yet. However they are heavier than the R.A.M. props I prefer to use on my larger electric models.
I am not at the stage to set throws yet. However from experience, 20mm Rudder throw is not excessive. You won't use rudder much anyway . 15 mm aileron would seem to be in the ball park. If you are not sure, set up a low rate of around 10-12 and fly on that initially. I will be using 2 separate channels and will set up aileron differential, with around 3mm LESS down throw than up throw. Makes the turns smoother.
Elevator- yeah, 15mm may be a little excessive. This models big brother has already got a reputation for being an aggressive climber, fixed by shifting the C of G forward of the manufacturers mark so that it is nose down at the manufactures C of G point. If it is a little sensetive, either cut the throw back or shift the C of G forward. Once again, set up dual rates and fly off the lower setting initially.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Starks

Default T-28

Yep, all good points. I have set the rates to about 60% And I'm running dual battery packs. Nose very slightly down at the balance point of 75mm behind the leading edge. All I have to do now is wait for a break from the 40deg heat to fly it. Any further along with yours? Or are you still waiting on servos???

Any noticeable difference in using the R.A.M. prop? - I've never used them. I generally use the APC on my other larger plane (.40 Moth)
Old 03-07-2010, 10:17 AM
mr.sneezy
Martin - Adelaide, NE.

Default OK, how did it fly ?

Hi guys,

I know the post is real old, but we'd like to know how it flew with your setups. A mates just picked up a brand new in box kit. So any good flight info would be great. Especially the prop size it's like to run with.

Regards,
Martin
Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Starks

Build Review

G'day Martin,

Yep still running the same setup and I'm more than happy with the scale like performance. If you like heaps of power then you could up the motor one size but its fine for me. The only gripe I have is having to take the wing off to change the batteries.

Having said that I'm still running dual 2200-2500 3S Li-Poh with a 10/8 prop which gives me around 16 min of flight time (leaves @ 500mah per batt).

If you are using mini servos take into account that the pre made holes fit standard servos, so you will need to adjust the holes to fit. Also if you look at the photos of mine you will notice that I'm using a standard servo for the rudder as it has to drive the nose wheel as well.

Some people have made mention that the holes for main wheel legs were a bit large but mine seemed ok.

Take off is a breeze and predictable - it just flies straight off the ground with just a hint of up elevator. On landing you will need around about 1/3 throttle (my setup) with no wind. It flies well of grass (Australian footy oval) but larger wheels wouldn’t go astray.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Starks
Old 03-07-2010, 01:15 PM
mr.sneezy
Martin - Adelaide, NE.

Thanks Starks, good info.
Would you know how many Watts your setup is using, and what is the performance like on it ?

Thanks,
Martin
Old 03-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Hi Martin,

I tried varying 2 bladed props 1st up . A 10 x 8 Aero-naut followed by a 11 x 7, RAM thru to a 12 x 6. JXF. (All IC props by the way. I steer clear of APC "E" props on larger EP models) Eventually I settled on a Master 11 x 7- 3 bladed prop.

I guess your final choice will depend upon the motor selection. In my case, all the sizes I mentioned could be handled by my motor/esc pack combo.
(MVVS 860 KV motor, 4 cell lipo and 45 amp ESC.-- pic below)
The 11 x7 3 bladed prop draws 40 amps, which is right at the top limit of max efficiency for my motor, according to MVVS specs.

One other point to take into account--ground clearance. The 12 x 6 gave me very little leeway on this point. I fly off rough grass and prop strikes where an instant problem. When my power set up proved it could take the 3 bladed prop, I settled on that simply because it also looked more like the real thing and gave me better clearance. (See pic)

A couple of build alerts. The main undercarriage wire on my kit was far too small for the grooves cut into the wing by the factory. I had to slip some heat shrink around the legs to "pad" them out. Hope your friends kit is not the same.

I substituted slightly bigger wheels. The ones in my kit came from the "Vietnamese Model Square Wheel Factory!"

Also the nose wheel wire is meant to be located via some wood self tapper screw. I substituted blind nuts and allen head bolts. Self tappers will just tear out of the ply firewall after a few heavy landings.

The provided decals are not quite correct by the way. (The blue shade is wrong) plus there are not enough supplied to complete the model. (From memory the underside of the wing misses out.) I used a set of .40 sized "Major Decals" instead for the Stars and Bars and got a local "T" Shirt decal guy to knock me up some "Navy" decals, using the originals as a master. (Cost me about $10 for the latter.)

Flying wise-- Provided the power set up is correct and the throws/C of G settings are to your likings, it's a cat. No real vices at all. It's not quick (that huge cowl is a real air brake) but it looks good and I am sure you guys will love it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1081.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	122665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1082.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	122666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1084.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	108.4 KB