General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Align ESC issues

Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Default Align ESC issues

I have been using an ALIGN 25 Amp ESC in my AXN Clouds Fly for some time now with success.
However the "el cheapo" bell outrunner motor supplied by AX with the model, finally died and so I decided on a Hyperion P1919/4 as a replacement.
After installation, I connected the new motor up and immediately ran into problems.
As soon as it was connected, the motor began a series of beep sequences, with pauses in between each sequence. The beeps started with 3 tones, then 4, etc up to 6 then stopped. After a longer pause, the motor then started, running slowly at first, before slowly picking up speed. This was irrespective of where the throttle stick was set and even did it once with the TX switched off! (Prop was off)
The motor got warm very quickly.
I swapped the ESC out for an identical unit and got the same result.
O.K., do we have an ESC incompatibility issue here?
Any suggestions or constructive opinions, would be gratefully accepted.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:22 PM
gyrocptr

Originally Posted by Bellakelpie View Post
I have been using an ALIGN 25 Amp ESC in my AXN Clouds Fly for some time now with success.
However the "el cheapo" bell outrunner motor supplied by AX with the model, finally died and so I decided on a Hyperion P1919/4 as a replacement.
After installation, I connected the new motor up and immediately ran into problems.
As soon as it was connected, the motor began a series of beep sequences, with pauses in between each sequence. The beeps started with 3 tones, then 4, etc up to 6 then stopped. After a longer pause, the motor then started, running slowly at first, before slowly picking up speed. This was irrespective of where the throttle stick was set and even did it once with the TX switched off! (Prop was off)
The motor got warm very quickly.
I swapped the ESC out for an identical unit and got the same result.
O.K., do we have an ESC incompatibility issue here?
Any suggestions or constructive opinions, would be gratefully accepted.
Something to check:
On the male bullet connector, there is a tubular, cage-like piece with lots of little slots. This annular piece should be free to rotate around the main body of the connector. Sometimes during soldering, excess flux can bubble into the area between the tubular-piece and the main body, and then solidify. If enough solidified flux (whitish or brownish in color) gets into this area, it can block the rotation of tubular-piece, and also create a high electrical-resistance between the tubular-piece and the main connector body. If your brushless motor is single-phasing (oscillating), or failing to reach full power, check to make sure the tubular-piece in each male bullet connector is free to rotate, and free of flux. If not, clean with contact-cleaner (or lacquer thinner, acetone ….). The cleaning may solve your problem.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Thank you gyrocptr.
The Tx and the Rx (2.4 Ghz system) are bound quite o.k.
There is nothing wrong with the ESC itself that I can think of. The BEC works (all servo's move quite freely when the corresponding Tx sticks are moved)
The only thing that has changed, is the motor.
Yes--your words make sense as obviously I had to solder new bullet connectors into the motor wires.
I will check it all out and advise.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Bellakelpie
Short Circuit Creator

Well after testing with another ESC and Rx, I discovered that the problem lay with the Rx. Basically, for some reason the throttle channel was no longer working.
Probably something to do with a voltage spike when the motor fried itself.
Junked the Rx, fitted a new one and no more problems.