Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Electric power pod plan needed

Old 10-31-2020, 03:11 PM
superdave62

Default Electric power pod plan needed

Hi I'm new to this forum and need some help!! I'm building a "Sophisticated Lady" kit I won on Ebay. It was made the old Carl Goldberg company. I would like to add an electric power pod on the top of the wing. I can't find any plans online so I thought I would see if someone in this forum could help me. I don't care if it's a standard prop or a pusher. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 10-31-2020, 04:34 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The old way was to create two curved legs that were held by the wing band rods ... or with a plate under just the bands,

Another was to make a leg that had two holes matching the wing spars ... slide over the spars ... join wing trapping the leg on centre line.

The usual shape was like a curved triangle with motor sitting over the CoG so it didn't upset the balance ... prop often on the front as a tractor.

For thrust lines etc. - I would suggest having a look at the Bixler and similar where top mounted pod motors are used.

These any good to you ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33030644903.html

At least they give an idea for CIY ...
Old 10-31-2020, 04:47 PM
superdave62

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The old way was to create two curved legs that were held by the wing band rods ... or with a plate under just the bands,

Another was to make a leg that had two holes matching the wing spars ... slide over the spars ... join wing trapping the leg on centre line.

The usual shape was like a curved triangle with motor sitting over the CoG so it didn't upset the balance ... prop often on the front as a tractor.

For thrust lines etc. - I would suggest having a look at the Bixler and similar where top mounted pod motors are used.

These any good to you ?

Heck yeah this helps a lot!! Thanks!!
Old 10-31-2020, 06:05 PM
superdave62

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

These any good to you ?

Originally Posted by superdave62 View Post
Hi I'm new to this forum and need some help!! I'm building a "Sophisticated Lady" kit I won on Ebay. It was made the old Carl Goldberg company. I would like to add an electric power pod on the top of the wing. I can't find any plans online so I thought I would see if someone in this forum could help me. I don't care if it's a standard prop or a pusher. Thanks in advance for any help
What size motor, battery & esc would you suggest? The model will come in around 30ozs. when finished.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:59 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

You don't need a lot ... the Lady should float quite well.

In the old days a lot of gliders with pods used .049 ... or if really need punch a .10 size glow.

"www.eCalc" is your friend ... put the stats of the model in ...... then play with motor / battery / prop till you get the combo to suit. There's no need for ballistic climb as many of todays powered jobs have .... they design for fast climb to height and then shut down. This means a heavy motor .....

I'd be inclined to look at something in the 3S battery range .... 1000 - 1500 mAh ..... and a motor around the 1000kv turning an 8" prop ..... so you get a graceful steady climb ..... without heavy gear. As a start ... not saying its actually what's needed.

Its worth checking out online sales of powered gliders similar and see what they have ...
Old 11-01-2020, 06:56 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by superdave62 View Post
Rather than giving you what you asked for I will ask you WHY do you want to put a power pod on a Sophisticated Lady?

Power pods are big, awkward, draggy, throw off the trim and they are heavy. Just put a motor in the nose with a folding prop. Lightweight, efficient, and easy to do. Much lighter than a power pod and a LOT less drag. Even modern full-scale gliders are going to the motor in the nose design.

Video

In this video he attaches the motor on the outside, which works fine but is a bit ugly. You can put the motor inside too, mounting it from the back of the firewall. Open the nose up a bit if you feel you need more space when you build the kit. As designed the old kits assumed you would put lead in the nose to balance. The motor and battery replace that lead so there is no weight penalty. In fact, in the competition glider world, the e-gliders are lighter than the pure gliders.

If you want to launch from a hi-start also, just put the hook on it and launch it from the hi-start. The motor doesn't interfere in any way and provides a safety margin if you get too far downwind.

I am 95% a glider pilot flying pure and e-gliders.

I would never put a power pod on a glider today. Doesn't make sense.

Last edited by AEAJR; 11-01-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:27 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

e-glider conversion thread
https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70963

https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73256

Old 12-10-2020, 12:51 PM
superdave62

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Rather than giving you what you asked for I will ask you WHY do you want to put a power pod on a Sophisticated Lady?

Power pods are big, awkward, draggy, throw off the trim and they are heavy. Just put a motor in the nose with a folding prop. Lightweight, efficient, and easy to do. Much lighter than a power pod and a LOT less drag. Even modern full-scale gliders are going to the motor in the nose design.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWX9lC7fZNY

In this video he attaches the motor on the outside, which works fine but is a bit ugly. You can put the motor inside too, mounting it from the back of the firewall. Open the nose up a bit if you feel you need more space when you build the kit. As designed the old kits assumed you would put lead in the nose to balance. The motor and battery replace that lead so there is no weight penalty. In fact, in the competition glider world, the e-gliders are lighter than the pure gliders.

If you want to launch from a hi-start also, just put the hook on it and launch it from the hi-start. The motor doesn't interfere in any way and provides a safety margin if you get too far downwind.

I am 95% a glider pilot flying pure and e-gliders.

I would never put a power pod on a glider today. Doesn't make sense.
I understand your point about extra weight and drag from a power pod. I just want to leave the nose alone because of the graceful way the SL looks. Thanks for your info though.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:39 AM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Two motors on the leading edges of the wings?
Trace a rib, add sheeting thickness, to get inside 'pod' contour.
You would need two brushless controllers when using brushless motors.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:28 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

If you get clever a nose mounted motor can be almost hidden.
A scale Glasflugel Libelle 2.1 m span with a nose motor & folding prop.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CompleteA.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	188304
Not quite an exact scale nose profile but very close to it..
Old 12-12-2020, 12:20 AM
superdave62

Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren View Post
Two motors on the leading edges of the wings?
Trace a rib, add sheeting thickness, to get inside 'pod' contour.
You would need two brushless controllers when using brushless motors.
I don't know what you meant by two motors. I'm only using one on my glider. I must have missed something in the prior posts.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:14 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Don't worry, you did not miss a thing, I meant one motor on leading edge of the right wing, and the other motor on the left wing.

On a less serious note, another solution
www.torcman.de
→ T-Prop & FES Ex

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 12-12-2020 at 05:51 PM.