Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

PITN QF-86E Build Thread (Gus Morfis Plans)

Old 04-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Mustang Fever

Default PITN QF-86E Build Thread (Gus Morfis Plans)

I recently decommissioned (as in broke up for scrap) a Jim Ryan P-38, built from plans and powered by twin Astro 020s with 2- 1050 Kan NiMh 8 cell batteries.

The Lightning flew great and looked great in the air, but it was one of my early RC modeling attempts (constructed in late 2003), and after several crashes (one quite severe) it was looking pretty battered.

I just completed a Pavel Bosak 60 size (glow) PITN QF-4N, not flown yet. I was looking for something to do on rainy days and ended up digging out my set of Gus Morfis F-86 plans. They're so old, they're starting to fade, but they duplicated fine down at the blueprint shop.

All the gear (Rx, batt, 2 micro svos, 020, ESC) is going to weigh around 1 pound. In hopes of keeping the wing loading down, I scaled it up to 115%, while maintaining all the same size sticks, sheets, thicknesses, and methods of construction. I'm shooting for a wing loading of 15oz per square foot, but if she ends up at 20, that will be ok.

I just started cutting balsa Friday night, but Gus' designs are very slickly designed and are very fast builds, so I'll probably have some fuse frame up pics to post by Sunday evening. (I built two of his electric P-51s, from the plans available through RCM, and the second one was framed up in about two days.)

If some of the ARF guys are thinking about taking a shot at building, Gus has a whole lineup of Speed 400 powered electrics to choose from.

I have a shot of the plans (excellent illustration of fading) and a pic or two of real QF-86Es. Gus remembers watching one of these taxi in from outside the fence while it blew dust all over his car, being shocked when it shut down and the canopy never opened, and then realizing it was a drone.

However, the posting instructions are Greek to me. I have the photos on file in my computer as jpegs. Can anyone tell me how to post them? (Hint: be very specific. Using computer acronyms to describe processes aren't enough.)

Something in my perverse nature likes making radio controlled models of actual radio controlled airplanes. That way, when some unfortunate asks, "Where's your scale pilot?" I have a choice of several snappy replies.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:05 PM
yorcram

Default Gus Morsif

Gus Morsif planes are simple designs. I think they would make good Depron models. And with the large selection of plans he has you would be able to build a large fleet.

Marc