E-flite F-15 Eagle DF ARF - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

E-flite F-15 Eagle DF ARF

Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 AM
madatme

Originally Posted by billdor View Post
Hi Madatme:
I am not using any landing gear on mine (just hand launching) so I don't have your problem. However from past experience I can tell you that your problem is most often caused by the nose gear leg being too long. What actually happens is that when you touch down the long nose gear lifts the nose to a more positive angle of attack and causes it to balloon. By shortening the gear leg it will allow the nose to drop to a negative angle and keep you on the runway

Bill
Thanks Bill, I will give that a try within the next week or so and let you know
Greg
Old 07-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Mitchdigger

Default It's a good kit

I have an su27 by Artech and it flies well. But let me tell you the quality of the Artech kit is far below that of the E-flite F15. I'm very pleased with mine and I would recommend it. Sometimes peoples expections are too high and they are disapointed. Well my expections are pretty high and I was pleased with it.

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
My buddy had technical issues and didnt not have a successfull maiden. It looked under powered to me on the stock setup, but he never really got a chance to try it out.

He was not impressed with the kit and did not recomend it as far as quality controll and things fitting together etc. Said it was a lot of trouble.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Cobham

Its a crap kit - I have just bought and built one and never have I had such trouble with a so called ARTF. Here is the list.....

a) The stabs dont fit the hole - its far too tight. Then when you try and drill it out to fit you find that the two holes in the plastic to hold each stab are not even lined up correctly. This results in the hole being larger than you need which results in the stab being too loose and dangerous flight control! Seems a common problem reading the forums.
b) One of the clips on the stab ball plastic connector just snapped when I pushed it onto the ball joint . At least two others reported this.
c) The stock motors do not fit the provided holes on the mount. You have to drill them to make them bigger and/or wider. If you do the latter it is dangerous as you have to have the motor dead centre- good luck or elese your fan hits the side all the time!
d) Rear cover mounting screws are too short to hold the cover properly.
e) Aileron wire and clevis is a joke - I would not put such flimsy stuff on a cardboard plane let alone a 3ft jet.
f) Wing support bar is far too small for the hole they made - half a ton of glue needed to fill the hole properly and make the rod fit. Its the wing for goodness sake!!!
g) Big blobs of polystyrene in the air intake that need to be removed to make it smooth.
h) Wing servo wires going through the air intake - is it a joke?
i) The retracts they provide do not fit snugly unless you start hacking to fit the servos and make the retracts retract properly.
j) Battery tray is too small - should be 1inch longer.

Did they ever build and fly this thing. Well done all of you who managed it or maybe I just got the Friday kit. Anyway one day it might actually get into the air but then I understand its too low powered with the stock motor which I have used. A bad experience all round - cmon Eflite you can do better than this!
Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 PM
madatme

Originally Posted by Cobham View Post
Its a crap kit - I have just bought and built one and never have I had such trouble with a so called ARTF. Here is the list.....

a) The stabs dont fit the hole - its far too tight. Then when you try and drill it out to fit you find that the two holes in the plastic to hold each stab are not even lined up correctly. This results in the hole being larger than you need which results in the stab being too loose and dangerous flight control! Seems a common problem reading the forums.
b) One of the clips on the stab ball plastic connector just snapped when I pushed it onto the ball joint . At least two others reported this.
c) The stock motors do not fit the provided holes on the mount. You have to drill them to make them bigger and/or wider. If you do the latter it is dangerous as you have to have the motor dead centre- good luck or elese your fan hits the side all the time!
e) Aileron wire and clevis is a joke - I would not put such flimsy stuff on a cardboard plane let alone a 3ft jet.
f) Wing support bar is far too small for the hole they made - half a ton of glue needed to fill the hole properly and make the rod fit. Its the wing for goodness sake!!!
g) Big blobs of polystyrene in the air intake that need to be removed to make it smooth.
i) The retracts they provide do not fit snugly unless you start hacking to fit the servos and make the retracts retract properly.

Did they ever build and fly this thing. Well done all of you who managed it or maybe I just got the Friday kit. Anyway one day it might actually get into the air but then I understand its too low powered with the stock motor which I have used. A bad experience all round - cmon Eflite you can do better than this!
cobham, I agree it's not a great kit either, I also had problems as you mentioned
1. what I did is drill out the bushings(if they break off the foam reglue) until the stab would just slide in ok, kinda loose, then when you put it together give it a good squeze and tighten the screw, if you dont do this the stab will vibrate and shake at full throttle and the stab will still move nicley.
2. I did not have a problem with the links, use ball link pliers, works great
3. only drill the fan housing (were the wires go in) and reposition the wire holes, thats all I did, and no it does not have a bunch of power but it does fly good, just watch out for the nose to dip down when turning left or right-apply up elevator when turning
4. yes the screws are too short
5. aeiliron wire and clevis ??
6. large hole is for movement when glueing
7. big blobs, not a problem on mine, grind or cut off
8. servo wire's I did not like either, I used clear scotch tape, matt scotch does not hold well
9. retracts, the only thing I did was move them forward a bit, drilled new holes and seem to be ok
10. Battery tray, I dont have a problem, i use tp 3s2100 and I have plenty of room

this is my second kit(the 1st hit a tree) the second plane was actually worse build than the first, but i like the twin sound it's awsome, not too many twin kits out there, I put a pair of dons wicked motors in this winter and waiting for spring too try it out
Good Luck and any thing to help let me know
Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Cobham

Thanks for all that information, I will follow your advice where-ever I can. My comment about the aileron wires were because the ones I had were the thinnest I have seen in a kit and much smaller than the hole in the metal retainer - so not fully clamped by the screw. Also the small plastic clevis was too small to fit safely onto the connector- I managed to pull one off with a bit of a tug - even with the keeper on - not good. I have changed them for stronger units which fit much better and dont pull off.

In the end I know I will like the plane, as it looks great and I hope will fly ok. It just seems such a shame the someone who may not be prepared to overcome the hurdles might give up half way through. Hopefully my comments and your helpfull notes will allow them to finish the build and end up with an airworthy plane which they enjoy .
Old 03-01-2009, 12:50 PM
madatme

Originally Posted by billdor View Post
Hi Madatme:
I am not using any landing gear on mine (just hand launching) so I don't have your problem. However from past experience I can tell you that your problem is most often caused by the nose gear leg being too long. What actually happens is that when you touch down the long nose gear lifts the nose to a more positive angle of attack and causes it to balloon. By shortening the gear leg it will allow the nose to drop to a negative angle and keep you on the runway

Bill
Bill how much should the frt leg be shortened, are we talking nose juat slightly down or more down so it's obvious
Old 03-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Cobham View Post

You make a good point, in that if you have to go to all that effort, you may as well just build a lower cost GWS15. The idea of the ARF is to avoid all the tweaking. If you're going to do all that, may as well just enhance a kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F15_GWS_34_comp.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	95166  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:20 AM
madatme

I do agree with you,and nice build of your jet
question-do you also have the porpoise problem when you land, it seems to be too much speed and Billdor says its the frt nose gear too long
Old 01-27-2010, 09:20 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Man not very many happy campers with this bird last year. Anyone built one recently and or still flying thiers? I got one for a steal on feebay and am doing my usual tweek job on it. Modding and changes dont bother me, its the end result that matters .

Jason
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

The Free Wing F-15 is a dream to fly...
Old 01-28-2010, 02:13 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Alpea, I almost ended up with one during the sale H/L had around christmas. But came accross this one on Ebay and got it to my door for what the FW would have cost before shipping. So This one won out.

Just a few details as to what is in store for my Eagle.

1. EFlite Servoless retracts (Finished installation this morning)

2. 4000Kv motors identical to the ones in the Delta-V 480's on the Horizon video.

3. SAPAC 64mm fans (Also identical to the EFlite Delta-V 480 unit)

4. Turnigy 60A Plush ESC's

5. Turnigy 4S 4000mah 30C pack

6. Blue Bird BMS 380 Max servo's for the tailerons

7. HXT900's for ailerons and nose steering

8. D.E. Sport BEC

9. Airtronics RDS8000 8ch Rx

Youtube Video of my rectracts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VQpDcOCuXc

Jason

Name:	EFlite Servoless nose installed.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	119252   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFlite Servoless retract main installed 1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	119253   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFlite Servoless set installed.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	119254   Click image for larger version

Name:	On its legs 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	119255  
Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 AM
madatme

Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Man not very many happy campers with this bird last year. Anyone built one recently and or still flying thiers? I got one for a steal on feebay and am doing my usual tweek job on it. Modding and changes dont bother me, its the end result that matters .

Jason
FresnoJay, yes I'm still flying my F-15, it's going on it's third year airframe. I'm going to upgrade the motors and fans for the second time for more speed. The only trouble I have is the rear eflite gear servos dont take to much abuse for very long, still fun to fly.
question for you
1- what is the part number for your retracts you installed--looks cool
let me know how it fly's when you can, its too cold here in Ohio

I was going to use 2 4s packs at 2600 each, not sure about the extra weight

Greg
Old 01-28-2010, 03:40 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

I am very curious about the new Eflight electric retracts as well.

I went through hell with the whole LADO fiasco so Im very interested to see how well the Eflights hold up.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:31 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Madatme, Here is a link to the gear: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLG110

Larry, I am very curious as well. But have to say it has a awesome set of failsafe's built into them. If the bind the stop cold no buzzing, stripping, or battery draining. Once you flip the switch the other way they will go back into position where it came from which was clear from the bind.

Jason
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

That link says they are due late April - how did you get a set???

You maried to the owners daughter or something???
Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

carefull with all the weight the wings don't come off. It happened to Victor... But that's another story.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Larry, LOL! I did find out that when the first shipment came in of these from the manufacturer to horizon they sent "Samples" to certain vendors. My LHS happened to be one fo those vendors. I also just happened to get lucky enough to walk in and see them right after they were put in the case. So I snagged them up.

Alpea, Mine has a C/F spar in the wing already but also plan on adding another strip type C/F spar near the TE of the wing. Its the same material I used to add a C/F spar to my FW SU-34 Fullback. My Fullback flies at around 63oz with no issue. The Eagle wont be nearly this heavy and have way more power.

Jason
Old 01-28-2010, 11:12 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Well my HC/HK order came this morning. So I now have everything but the fans for the plane. The build will now progress quickly or so I hope. Probably wont do much building tonight or tomorrow. But this weekend will be the real start to the build.

Jason
Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 PM
madatme

Originally Posted by FresnoJay View Post
Well my HC/HK order came this morning. So I now have everything but the fans for the plane. The build will now progress quickly or so I hope. Probably wont do much building tonight or tomorrow. But this weekend will be the real start to the build.

Jason
Jason keep use up todate

Greg-madatme
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Will do no worries .

Jason
Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 PM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Well the most tedious work is done now. Power set is all ready to drop in.

Jason

Name:	power set and battery.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	119373  
Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Well we have an airframe. By time I get home tonight she will be ready for electronics install. Also got the fans today as well. So all is progressing nicely. Also added the C/F strip spar just forward of the LE. Should be ready to taxi tomorrow.

Jason

Name:	Both Wings with additional spars.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	119454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looks Like and Eagle.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	119455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spar location.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	119456  
Old 01-31-2010, 01:00 PM
madatme

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
carefull with all the weight the wings don't come off. It happened to Victor... But that's another story.
Alpea42, in the comment about 2600 batteries, do you think they will be to heavy for the wings or should I stick with 4s 2200 in a pair

Greg
Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 AM
FresnoJay
Big foamie lover!

Ok well the power set is installed and running smooth. Need to finish the wire routing and she will be ready to taxi. Also got all the beef up Dubro parts for the new ball links.

Jason
Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

I commented about wings coming off cuz I heard about one that had a big battery and wing glue joint failed on take off. Dont know what he had in it tho

Quick Reply: E-flite F-15 Eagle DF ARF

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15780 seconds with 23 queries