E-Flite F-15 Eagle - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

E-Flite F-15 Eagle

Old 01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Default E-Flite F-15 Eagle

Just saw this on another site: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL7050

Wowza! How cool! It's wingspan is less than an inch wider than the GWS F-15, but the length is over 5-1/2" longer. Wonder how they worked that one out? I've been thinking about picking up the GWS F-15, but now I'll have to give the two a comparison since there's a choice to be had.

If you go to the page and view the picture gallery, you'll notice it's listed as retract-ready, too. Sa-wheeeeat!

<!-- prodImages -->$159.99

List: $204.99

<!-- prodPriceInfo -->

<!--prodPriceInner-->

<!-- prodPrice -->

Item coming soon.
EFL7050 by E-flite
Due Early March, 2008 Sorry, this item can't be gift-wrapped.
Oversized

Ducted fan powered, military fighter
<!-- Small Gallery --> </SPAN>

<!-- prodDetailDesciption -->
<!-- prodDetailTextPadding -->
<!-- prodDetailRightText -->

<!-- prodSummary -->
<!-- PROD NAV STARTS --><!-- PROD NAV ENDS -->
<!-- prodDetailTabs -->F-15 Eagle DF ARF

Key Features
  • Sport, scale F-15 Eagle military fighter model boasts the scale Edwards Air Force Base Safety Chase trim scheme
  • Ducted Fan units included
  • Retract ready for enhanced flight performance
  • Injection-molded EPS foam airframe that’s lightweight and easy to repair
  • Full molded and painted airframe
  • Full carbon wing spars
  • All flight control surfaces are prehinged
  • Molded servo pockets makes radio installation a snap
  • All decals applied at factory
Overview

The McDonnell Douglas Corporation’s F-15 Eagle was designed to be a tactical fighter to gain and maintain air superiority in aerial combat. The F-15 Eagle was developed out of the lessons learned from Vietnam and the need for the United States Air Force to have a dedicated air superiority fighter. The F-15 was delivered into service in the late 1970s and remained in service with the USAF for over twenty years. The F-15 was successful in achieving air superiority through use of avionics, weapons, speed, and maneuverability. Its electronic systems and weaponry could detect, track, and attack enemy aircraft while the flight control systems can allow one person to effectively perform air-to-air combat.

E-flite has replicated the F-15 Eagle as a sport, scale model. This military fighter model boasts the scale Edwards Air Force Base Safety Chase trim scheme making it a very attractive and highly visible plane. Spend less time building and more time flying, this model comes out of the box fully painted red and silver on white foam with custom decals applied. This model is retract ready for installation of the optional Robart retracts specifically designed for this F-15 Eagle model.

This high powered model was designed around the use of two Park 400 DF 3200 Kv (EFLM1320DF) motors to match with the included ducted fan units. The power of these two units will enable the pilot to have very good flight characteristics and the ability to perform basic aerobatics such as loops, rolls, and the split “S”. While this plane is capable of flying a tight flight pattern, it can still be flown at your local park. The low-wing loading and twin ducted fans allow superior maneuverability and acceleration enabling tight flight patterns. The wings are each reinforced with a carbon fiber tube spar for added stability. This model also has a horizontal stab for pitch control and stability.

The flight characteristics and response of E-flite’s F-15 Eagle mirror those of the full size McDonell Douglas Eagle, down to the aerobatic capabilities. This model was created for the ambitious sport scale, advanced pilot looking for a versatile model capable of park flying.
Specs
  • Wing Span:36 in (915mm)
  • Overall Length:47 in (1195mm)
  • Wing Area:400 sq in (25.8 sq dm)
  • Flying Weight:2.5 - 3.1 lbs (.9 - 1.0 kg)
  • Motor Size:Park 420 Ducted Fan 3800 Kv (2 requried)
  • Radio:6+ channel
  • Servos:Sub Micro (5 requried, 8 with retracts)
  • Trim Scheme Colors:White base molded EPS foam with orange trim
  • Hardware Included:Yes
  • Speed Control :25 Amp Brushless ESC (2 requried)
  • Recommended Battery:2100 3S 11.1 V Li-Po (2 requried)
  • Retracts:Yes, included
  • Approx. Flying Duration:8 - 10 minutes
  • Approx. Assembly Time:6 - 8 hours
Old 01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Well, the pictures show the kit as retract-ready, but according to a post by John Redman from E-Flite on RCG yesterday, the kit actually includes both retracts and fixed gear.

Originally Posted by John Redman
Hey guys, a few points for the Eagle to think about.

The fans are small and cannot draw through the long intakes. Intake size is correct to the model. I tried it and although it flew, the perfromance was bad. There will not be any type of FOD issue with teh cheater holes on the bottom, not enough suction from this size fan to worry about.

There will be two power systems available when it hits the market, keep an eye on the web site.

Retracts and fixed gear are included. The struts for the retracts come prebent as well. The mains fit up against and partially into the fuselage sides. Works fine for this tye of model. I took the approach for this to be a very entry level twin ducted fan model that was very easy to takeoff and land, regardless of wind conditions (crosswinds, etc). That is why the main gear is the way it is. I have flown enough F-15 turbine models to know what it is like when the gear is done in a scale manner, believe me it would not be worth it for this model.

You will also note the plywood reinforcement throughout the nose, this is here to make the front fuse section plenty strong.

Outline is very close. We cheated the wing a few percent, but not much.

A clear plastic cap on the nose helps maintain the nose appearance over time and gives it strength. You will also note we have a similar plastic cap on the leading edge of the horizontal stabs, and they are full flying stabs. This helps protect the stabs if you fly off grass with no landing gear.

Tried to think of most everything. All in all the plane rocks guys. It is a true blast to fly.

John
Old 01-11-2008, 09:43 PM
herk_1
Trash Hauler emeritus

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Just saw this on another site: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL7050

Wowza! How cool! It's wingspan is less than an inch wider than the GWS F-15, but the length is over 5-1/2" longer. Wonder how they worked that one out? I've been thinking about picking up the GWS F-15, but now I'll have to give the two a comparison since there's a choice to be had.
The specs on the E-Flite make it closer to scale than the GWS; i.e. a real F-15 has a ratio of wingspan-to-length of .66, the E-Flite, .76, the GWS, .85. The intakes are also more scale on the E-Flite -- but because they didn't considerably exaggerate the width of the intakes like GWS did, the plane needs those "cheater" holes in the bottom to get more air to the EDFs. People have been reporting that that big wing on the GWS makes it capable of flying extremely slow.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:55 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Thanks for that info. Some guys on RCG said folks have actually been cutting off the wing where it connects to the fuse, trimming 2" to 3" off the inside edge, and then moving the wing back down the body some and reattaching it. I need to find some pictures, as I'm curious how that would turn out looking. The GWS version always looked "squatty" to me (probably because the wing is so big for the body), but the E-Flite version looks enlongated in their product page picture. I think it's partly just the angle the picture was taken at, but John from E-Flite did say that the nose was a little longer and a little more slender than stock.

But it's a purty plane. Just a shame it has to have those cheater holes. I hate 'em.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

I saw it today at the AMA show it looks better up on the display than that photo.The hangar 9 sales girl rep told me it was 125 $ with no gear.But I'll believe anything a pretty blond young lady tells me.LOL
Old 01-12-2008, 04:37 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Funny, the guy who commented on seeing at the AMA show over in the RCG thread said the exact opposite ... didn't think it looked that hot in person (the plane, not the girl).

Did anyone at the AMA show take any pictures of it? Is the show going on tomorrow, too?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Yeah the show goes all weekend .And one thing I can't understand they have the F 15 mounted up high on the display ,like 8 or 9 ' up.And unless that guy holding it is a little person or because it's so high up the wall it looks smaller than in that photo.After me telling that rep girl that E -Flight was my favorite plane supplier and how come they didn't have a Diamante 25 on display ?Went behind the counter and gave me and my son E-Flight T shirts,pens,note books(flight log books) and a license plate frame that says "I WOULD RATHER BE FLYING MY E-FLIGHT R/C PLANE".Right then I knew true love.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

My wife was not amused
Old 01-12-2008, 04:23 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Haha, how funny. You know, I thought the same thing when I saw that photo on E-Flite's site ... it's wingspan is smaller than the E-Flite P-47, yet they make it look so large. I'm going to ask John about that ...
Old 02-20-2008, 03:19 AM
seulater

I am very interested in this plane, has anyone found any videos of it flying ?
Old 02-20-2008, 04:01 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

I cut my wings off on my GWS f-15
2 inches per side if I remember right
Now it looks much more like an f-15 than originally
The third pic also shows how I mounted the esc's in the airflow for cooling
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 014.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	56451   Click image for larger version

Name:	f-15 almost done!.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	56452   Click image for larger version

Name:	f-15 esc and fan units.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	56453  
Old 02-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Ed Waldrep

Here's some pics but they are fuzzy, my camera was in some crazy mode, saw something on the screen some new symbol must have been a shutter speed, didn't know how to turn it off, don't have time to read a freaking manual!

Name:	AMA convention 2008 017.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	57310  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 PM
VF84sluggo
Non-Communist

"The fans are small and cannot draw through the long intakes. Intake size is correct to the model. I tried it and although it flew, the perfromance was bad. There will not be any type of FOD issue with teh cheater holes on the bottom, not enough suction from this size fan to worry about."

This quote from John Redman: Do you know if he meant the bad performance was before the cheater holes? And with the cheaters the performance is now good?

I've already got one EDF that drags it's arse around the sky...I'd sure hate to put big $$$ into another one and get the same result. This F-15 will represent a good amount of money once all the required components needed to get it flying are purchased.

RC
Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Well PA, if you get out the iron on covering, you can make a GWS15 "look" just like the Eflite F15.

Flies well too, but no powerhouse with GWS 4700kv inrunners.

Name:	F15_GWS_30_comp.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	61952   Click image for larger version

Name:	F15_GWS_31_comp.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	61953