Help - set up an edf from scratch - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Help - set up an edf from scratch

Old 08-19-2017, 09:35 AM
denvoyager

Default Help - set up an edf from scratch

Well, I THINK its a hobbyking 70mm Typhoon that I've been given, but I will need to check its powertrain etc.
Does anybody know if there is a link with a methodical sequence of what I need to do to set this up with a suitable thrust/motor/esc/battery combination, please?
To help you to ascertain my level of expertise, it will probably have a title like-
' Setting up an electrically ducted fan model aircraft for real Dummies',
and include helpful tips like:
First, put the lump hammer back in the shed (and the six inch nails!), because it can't be fixed with a lump hammer, therefore it MUST be electrical!
'Bye for now,
Den,
Cymru (Wales)
Old 08-19-2017, 10:30 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

First I always Google a model to see if there any reviews on any forum.

Have you gone on Hobby King to see the models specs ?

A 70mm EDF will often need :

2800 - 3500kv motor
5S - 6S LiPo
80A ESC

But so many factors can alter those ...

Nigel
Old 08-19-2017, 12:10 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

denvoyager
You seem to have asked the same question both here and a couple of days earlier in the EDF thread.
Given the same people are likely to read both it does tends to confuse the issue.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:19 AM
denvoyager

Thank you, Solentlife, and Hawk, for your advice.
Quorneng - Its unusual on a large site like this to get such a poor response for a basic knowledge question. I was concerned that I wasn't placing my request for help in the right area. As I am new to the site, I tried another sub-division.
The responses I've had have been most welcome, and it is plain to see that the responders are trying to help me set up a specific model.
However, I find that the low response is a puzzle - I thought with a name like 'Wattflyers' that there would be a wealth of advice available.
It seems that just by weighing an unknown aircraft, I'm well on the way to being a world expert in how to set up an edf plane from scratch , as no-one else seems to know how to do it.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:31 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

denvoyager
I suspect the first issue is how much experience do you have in flying RC planes?

Do you think its possible that there might be a reason why there does not appear to be a 'Setting up an electrically ducted fan model aircraft for real Dummies' as maybe an EDF is not the right plane for a novice?

EDFs require about the highest installed power to weight of almost any RC plane to even fly successfully which means there is no simple 'one set of rules fits all'. Each installation has to be set up for a specific plane.
In your case you 'think' it is a 70 mm Typhoon (a good set of pictures would help) but without knowing the manufacturer it is almost impossible to advise what EDF, battery combination and all up weight is required to stand a chance of it flying and of course that assumes you have the necessary skill to do so.

You really must gain some experience in basic RC flight before you venture into EDFs.

My apologies if you are indeed an experienced RC flyer - but then if you were you would likely already know much of this already and would be asking different sorts of questions.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:27 PM
denvoyager

Default No help there then!

I find your replies both unhelpful, and your assumptions patronising to say the least. I would ask that if you do not know how to help, please do not get involved. The other people who replied were doing their best to help me, whereas your replies just assume you think you are the great panjandrum . Your lack of knowledge show that, once asked a serious question, you really have little knowledge of the topic, hence the blustering.
My advice to you is to learn some manners, and keep trying, you'll get there someday!
Old 08-20-2017, 05:31 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

If memory serves me correctly, a few years back this new member requested help setting-up a TX and programming related to servo adjustments........that link went the same path this one is headed and quickly died.......three years later, this new member's second thread ever here seems to reflect another Q & A session more out of desperation rather than knowledge seeking.

The few WattFlyer members here who have chimed in are very experienced RC'rs with vast knowledge related to EDF........particularly "quorneng"...!

Rather than spend time bashing helpful acknowledgements......maybe the "newbee" should study and research these helpful links.....and come back to WattFlyer with a little more knowledge and a more opened-minded attitude....:

https://www.rcpowers.com/community/t...eginners.8113/

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...for-a-Beginner

http://www.modelaviation.com/jetguide

http://www.rc-electric-jets.com/50-7..._Up_Guide.html

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ould-I-go-64mm

http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/rc-planes/edf-jets/

Hope the "newbee" finds the above helpful......sometimes knowledge is not always based on having the answers or experience at ones finger-tips or in ones head, but rather knowing how and where to find the answers proves more valuable........
Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 AM
F22trainer

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
If memory serves me correctly, a few years back this new member requested help setting-up a TX and programming related to servo adjustments........that link went the same path this one is headed and quickly died.......three years later, this new member's second thread ever here seems to reflect another Q & A session more out of desperation rather than knowledge seeking.

The few WattFlyer members here who have chimed in are very experienced RC'rs with vast knowledge related to EDF........particularly "quorneng"...!

Rather than spend time bashing helpful acknowledgements......maybe the "newbee" should study and research these helpful links.....and come back to WattFlyer with a little more knowledge and a more opened-minded attitude....:

https://www.rcpowers.com/community/t...eginners.8113/

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...for-a-Beginner

http://www.modelaviation.com/jetguide

http://www.rc-electric-jets.com/50-7..._Up_Guide.html

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ould-I-go-64mm

http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/rc-planes/edf-jets/

Hope the "newbee" finds the above helpful......sometimes knowledge is not always based on having the answers or experience at ones finger-tips or in ones head, but rather knowing how and where to find the answers proves more valuable........
...mic drop
Old 08-21-2017, 09:22 AM
denvoyager

Thank you for your help in sending me the links above. I am well on the way to firming up a system for setting up edf 'planes from scratch, thanks mainly to the 'youtube' sources, as well as RCM&E forums.
Pizzano, your bad-mannered comments do you no honour, and your assumptions reflect a poor attitude. Another self-appointed expert, it seems! There are some excellent books available that will help with your English comprehension . Good luck with that!
Old 08-21-2017, 09:58 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Some well-structured reading and handy e-tools for rainy/windy days. Will save you, and us , a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And please, please, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter. It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:40 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by denvoyager View Post
Thank you for your help in sending me the links above. I am well on the way to firming up a system for setting up edf 'planes from scratch, thanks mainly to the 'youtube' sources, as well as RCM&E forums.
Pizzano, your bad-mannered comments do you no honour, and your assumptions reflect a poor attitude. Another self-appointed expert, it seems! There are some excellent books available that will help with your English comprehension . Good luck with that!
I'm pleased you found the resources I provided helpful. Now, run along like a good little newbee, grab your lump hammer and nails and build yourself an EDF that will stay in the air long enough to pass on a vid here.....

Dominus Vobiscum.....Amicus Meus....!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:42 AM
denvoyager

Thanks, Ron,
for your advice - I will look those up. As a designer of aircraft (and other things!), I find that using a basic outline for systems setup is a good way to go. I don't bother too much with Reynolds flow numbers, as I tend to use the huge resource from places like the University of Illinois' aircraft wing design information. I've been using my watt meter for years, a great few bobs' worth!
I've been flying EDF for some years, but this is the first time I've done one from scratch, the trigger being the foamie without any powertrain that I've been given. I'm sure that the advice sources you have given me will be very helpful. I tried to get in touch with Wemotec the other day, but they seem to have closed their site temporarily, so I'll leave it a week or two, and try again. Apparently they have a good set-up system chart for edfs. Happy flying!

Some facts for the rude people here:
I'm not an apiarist, and certainly have no interest in apian procreation
I am never rude to people, unless they are ill-mannered towards me.
I an fluent in both Vulgate, and Classical Latin, and do nor use quip-type quotes, whether from Horace or anyone else.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:41 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

I don't think people are rude, they/we are just trying to figure out what you can/know. I don't want to under- or over-estimate people.

I am a electric&motor man myself, little prop/edf knowledge (they rotate I think).
Maybe these links will put you on the right track
Old 08-22-2017, 08:12 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

denvoyager.........familiar with Horace, then you will find this quote most certainly applies to your EDF adventure...."
Dimidium facti qui coepit habet: sapere aude".......!
The "beekeeping" reference "newbee", came to mind due to the harvesting and un-solicited aggressive temperament displayed while attempting to collect information here at WattFlyer.......much like an Apis Mellifera Scutella.
Silence may become the only response one receives here if one can not manage the apparent "chip" on one's shoulder; so heavily burdened with.......
Old 08-23-2017, 08:49 AM
denvoyager

Thanks, Ron,
That's really helpful - I certainly have all I need now!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:35 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Wattflyer has a great reputation for tolerance and helping people.

It is also a great resource for the scratch-builder and DIY enthusiast.

It is also a forum that does not accept too kindly ill-mannered or rude responders. If that is the manner of post that is made - then there are other forums the author can frequent ... one being a UK based one ... (I note the RCM&E reference !)

Denvoyager ............. no-one here has been rude to you, I'm a Brit and a long term RC flier with all sorts including EDF. With regard to such as Quorneng - this is a forum member that has helped everyone who comes here, has more knowledge about this subject than most I can think of. His honest posts seem to wind you up - strange considering that he has been straight and respectful.

You say... "I've been flying EDF for some years, but this is the first time I've done one from scratch, the trigger being the foamie without any powertrain that I've been given."

Surely you must have built up adequate knowledge by now ? But judging by another post by others - you appear to have been slow to grasp the mettle.

As I suggested earlier - find the model online and that should give you the average specs to fly. Usually with such as Hobby King who basically sell on 'end of line or surplus' ... the specs are often minimum.

Nigel
Old 08-24-2017, 08:03 AM
denvoyager

I have been helped on Wattflyer, and appreciate people taking the time to answer my question:

' Does anybody know if there is a link with a methodical sequence of what I need to do to set this up with a suitable thrust/motor/esc/battery combination, please?'

Since posing this question, the replies I have had have varied in tone and accuracy - from personal observations as to my experience as a model flyer, to genuine responses from members trying to answer the question posed.

i'm very pleased with the help I have received, and will do my best to utilise the links provided to formulate a methodology for designing an edf aircraft from scratch. if I do that , I will add it as a contribution,to the site resources, so that any other experienced or new-to-it-all member will benefit from everybodies' contributions during this post.
Once again, thank you to those who have helped, I'm looking forward to getting started with a new design, but will cut my teeth on the aircraft I have been given, as a 'dry' run.
Happy flying! Den