Have set-up, looking for plane. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Have set-up, looking for plane.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:22 PM
HugoW

Default Have set-up, looking for plane.

Hi,

I purchased an Ultimate Bipe from Nitroplanes. It's a fun thing, but way too heavy (construction-wise) and so airspeed is very high to maintain flight. I'm not overly experienced yet as a pilot of small planes, so I'm looking for something a little (or a lot) slower.
Here's what I have:
Motor 1430 kV
33A ESC
Some 3S 1800 mAh LiPo packs and a 9x4.5 thin electric prop, but that could be replaced. The set, incl. prop, mounting, etc weighs 270 grams. Besides that, the Bipe could also donate it's four 1,1Ncm servos.

What plane should I put around all this? I'm looking at an Addiction by Precision Aerobatics, but that needs stronger servos. Or something I can get free plans of, I'm a bit of a builder, you know (click).

[EDIT]Something like this Edge, maybe?[/EDIT]

Cheers,

Hugo

Last edited by HugoW; 10-13-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

That motor is good for 230W or so, and with a 9x5 GWS HD (comparable to a 9x4.5 APC E) on 3s it can get you >40oz thrust @ 50mph. So perhaps about a 25oz aerobatic plane @ 150W/lb.

Now let's look for a plane!

That Edge might be ideal! You won't be able to spin the 10"-11" prop recommended but that doesn't matter - HP is HP and you have that with well over 200W through your 9x4.5 APC E.

However - if you are not an experienced pilot I'd recommend you hone your skills with something far less scary, before moving up to a sleek aerobatic plane like the edge. Get some flight time with a slow flying trainer - even a SlowStick (and you could use your motor on that, with an 8x4 GWS HD prop) - before extending yourself.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi, try a Profile Foamy, they are a lot of fun, your motor will fit the 40" Mavrick real nice, these are a great plane to polish your flying skills on, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.rc-products.net/default.asp

Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Also, try the HXT 9 Gram servos from Hobby King, they are only about $3.65 each, and they are a very strong servo, thats all that our flying club uses, and they will fit a lot of planes, here is my funtana with them,

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ec_Micro_Servo

and steve with his funtana, using the HXT 9 gram servos
Old 10-14-2008, 01:37 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

and a Mavrick Cap with the HXT 9 gram servos, as you can see, they are a very versitile servo

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=30651&page=2

Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

and a 103MPH FunJet, with the HXT 9 Gram servos

Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 AM
brinnaaa
photographer/videographer

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Also, try the HXT 9 Gram servos from Hobby King, they are only about $3.65 each, and they are a very strong servo, thats all that our flying club uses, and they will fit a lot of planes, here is my funtana with them,

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ec_Micro_Servo

and steve with his funtana, using the HXT 9 gram servos
behind steve you can see my junior high diploma a little bit.
haha.
wow i feel old.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by HugoW View Post
Hi,

I purchased an Ultimate Bipe from Nitroplanes. It's a fun thing, but way too heavy (construction-wise) and so airspeed is very high to maintain flight. I'm not overly experienced yet as a pilot of small planes, so I'm looking for something a little (or a lot) slower.
Here's what I have:
Motor 1430 kV
33A ESC
Some 3S 1800 mAh LiPo packs and a 9x4.5 thin electric prop, but that could be replaced. The set, incl. prop, mounting, etc weighs 270 grams. Besides that, the Bipe could also donate it's four 1,1Ncm servos.

What plane should I put around all this? I'm looking at an Addiction by Precision Aerobatics, but that needs stronger servos. Or something I can get free plans of, I'm a bit of a builder, you know (click).

[EDIT]Something like this Edge, maybe?[/EDIT]

Cheers,

Hugo

Hi Hugo, that EDGE plane would work nice too try the 9 Gram servos in it, you wil really like them, Take care, Chellie
Old 10-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Chellie Steve gets those 900 servos from Hobby City not Hobby King
Old 10-14-2008, 04:20 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

hobby city IS hobby king, they just changed the name... again
Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 AM
HugoW

Thanks! Well, I sort of get the feeling I should purchase some of those 9 gram servos, you know...

I think I should go the foamy way, before going for the linked Edge. I have flying experience, but only with bigger, less agile glow planes. Unfortunately, the linked site doesn't ship overseas, but I still have tons of 6mm and 3mm depron handy and carbon is easily sourced. So let's look for plans. This Maverik 40, does it mean 40" span? For the weight of this set-up I think I need some wing area.

I'll post what I find and think is suitable.

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 10-14-2008, 08:04 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks! Well, I sort of get the feeling I should purchase some of those 9 gram servos, you know...

I think I should go the foamy way, before going for the linked Edge. I have flying experience, but only with bigger, less agile glow planes. Unfortunately, the linked site doesn't ship overseas, but I still have tons of 6mm and 3mm depron handy and carbon is easily sourced. So let's look for plans. This Maverik 40, does it mean 40" span? For the weight of this set-up I think I need some wing area.

I'll post what I find and think is suitable.

Cheers,

Hugo
yes it does have a 40" wing span , I am building a 49" 3D plane, you might want to make something like that, here is the link, making it from 9mm Depron, just glue some 3mm and 6mm together for 9mm Depron Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39692

Last edited by CHELLIE; 10-14-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:09 AM
HugoW

This one seems to fit the bill, a 45" span Edge (I like the Edge plane...):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528943

Simple to make, only 2 carbon wing spars (and maybe some carbon for landing gear like the one in post 79).

[EDIT]That's a nice one, too, Chellie, but doesn't the stuck-together depron become heavy?[/EDIT]

Hugo
Old 10-14-2008, 08:19 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

This one seems to fit the bill, a 45" span Edge (I like the Edge plane...):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528943

Simple to make, only 2 carbon wing spars (and maybe some carbon for landing gear like the one in post 79).

[EDIT]That's a nice one, too, Chellie, but doesn't the stuck-together depron become heavy?[/EDIT]

Hugo
Hi, I glued 2 pieces of 6mm together to make a hydro, and I was suprised, it was not that heavy at all, just apply the the glue on the thin side, it worked great, but my receiver caused the model to crash, no more JR receivers for me the 45" edge, should work great for you, I was able to buy 9mm depron after that, I still have some 12mm depron that I glued together, and i use it, it does not seem to be any heavier than the 9MM I bought, Take care, Chellie
Old 10-14-2008, 08:29 AM
HugoW

Thanks! I'm making the PXF plans of the Edge into DWG as we speak. I might try your design later, I know I cannot stop building anyway...

Yeah, aren't cheap RXs fun? I lost a lot to cheap electronics, I recently switched to a Futaba F7c 2.4GHz, so I cannot use el-cheapo RXs anymore. And since, I only crash due to pilot error !

Cheers,

Hugo

P.S. Shouldn't you be sleeping, now? It's 8.30 in the morning here in the Netherlands...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks! I'm making the PXF plans of the Edge into DWG as we speak. I might try your design later, I know I cannot stop building anyway...

Yeah, aren't cheap RXs fun? I lost a lot to cheap electronics, I recently switched to a Futaba F7c 2.4GHz, so I cannot use el-cheapo RXs anymore. And since, I only crash due to pilot error !

Cheers,

Hugo

P.S. Shouldn't you be sleeping, now? It's 8.30 in the morning here in the Netherlands...
LOL I am a Night Owl its 11:36 Pm here, in Sunny California USA
I have a DX6i 2.4 now, but I still have some FM radios, I have learned that The Berg Receivers are the best with FM, almost like having a 2.4 radio, it took me a while to learn that they will lock onto your radio, like a 2.4 will, never had a glitch with a Berg Receiver, me too, I only crash due to pilot error now, thank goodness I dont crash to often now, the berg receivers really work great on FM, I am slowly going to replace it with 2.4, but the receivers for 2.4 are a little expensive , Take care, Chellie
Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I just Noticed that your New to Wattflyers, Welcome To Wattflyers Hugo
Old 10-14-2008, 09:01 AM
HugoW

Thanks! I feel really welcome, and there's plenty of knowledge, here. My Funtana X50 is currently being electrified thanks to EDFrules, and it looks like this foamy will be up soon thanks to you.

You know, I really like glow fourstrokes, because of the sound and character. In a scale Stearman, I wouldn't want anything else. But for the sheer joy of flying, I think e-power is winning for me. Now if they would only hurry up and market those Nano-tube LiPos (cheaply, please), even the sky wouldn't be the limit anymore.

Cheers,
Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thanks! I feel really welcome, and there's plenty of knowledge, here. My Funtana X50 is currently being electrified thanks to EDFrules, and it looks like this foamy will be up soon thanks to you.

You know, I really like glow fourstrokes, because of the sound and character. In a scale Stearman, I wouldn't want anything else. But for the sheer joy of flying, I think e-power is winning for me. Now if they would only hurry up and market those Nano-tube LiPos (cheaply, please), even the sky wouldn't be the limit anymore.

Cheers,
I like the Rhino aka Zippy lipos at hobbyKing, very powerful and very inexpensive, thats all that our club uses now, and the turnigy motors and ESC, very reasonable and very powerful, hobbyking is the only reason I can afford to be in this Hobby come over and Join us at the Renegades thread, lots of super nice people there, but be Warned, they have a great Sence of Humor I like the 4 strokes too, and in a classic plane, there is nothing like it, here in so Calif, there are not to many places to fly RC Gas, so the electrics are nice to take to a park or school yard, here is the Renegades link, too, take Care, Chellie

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...2&ParentCat=85

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...=35751&page=92