1st post, opinions required please. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

1st post, opinions required please.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 AM
fantom69

Default 1st post, opinions required please.

Hi all,

I am from the UK and new to planes although I recently gave up heli's mainly due to cost/lack of flying time. I have got Reflex XTR sim and lots of hours on it flying planes, I would say I can handle the all the planes on there quite proficiently, even flying slow and steady, inverted flight to all out stick banging.

Due to the lack of time my life (wife and kids) allows and the unwillingness to goto the nearest flying club which is miles away, I was looking at getting the Multiplex Parkmaster 3D as this is the type of flying that interests me the most. I have a nice field behind my house and it's what I have my heart set on.

My questions are:

1) would I be foolish to consider this as a first plane even though my intentions are to fly very basic stuff and gradually move on in stages.

2) could someone spec me a motor, esc, battery, prop setup? I'm okay with radio gear as I have experience from heli's.

BTW, gotta say excellent friendly site, I think i'll be hanging around here for a few years to come!

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:55 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

well, as I always say, flyin aint the hard part, its landing that aint so easy...

I think since you're a heli guy, and it transfers extreemly well to airplanes, plus all the sim time, I'd say you may not have to go with a trainer setup to start with, but I'd recommend you set the rates to low, add some expo, and fly basic style flights for your first few times... mostly fly slow and in circles... a few loops/rolls... then when you're confident you know what your doing, up the rates.

SK

Ps, I'll lookup the plane in a while and find a good setup, but I'm not sure I like that plane, its kinda expensive, a little too expensive for my tastes...

SK
Old 10-29-2008, 01:03 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Got a better choice for you how about a t28 trojan... I know its not a 3d plane, but it flys great, and I've seen a guy doing rolling harriers on it, so like most planes, its really how good the pilot is... plus All you'll need is a tx/rx, which I'm sure you already have...
http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-planes-parkzone-t-28-trojan-pnp.htm

SK
Old 10-29-2008, 01:15 AM
K CLOSE
Huge Member

fantom69,
I can't comment on your choice of planes as I've never flown one. I can comment on the wife / kids situation however. I know quite a few guys here are in the same boat as us, maybe one of them has flown that plane. That said you made a great choice. You just can't beat E-power for cheap "catch as catch can" flying. Heck, I've even snuck in a quick flight on a bank and milk run. Wait, you'll see - you'll have a trunk plane before you know it. I love GWS warbirds as boot bangers myself.

And welcome to Wattflyer. It's a good bunch here- friendly and not judgemental. Been here a while myself and have never had a problem.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:21 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

If you don't mind a little work, I would highly recommend the gws Formosa I, I have one and could recommend a perfect setup, I modified mine to have SFG's on it midwing... which helps with all the high-Alpha Knifeedge stuff.... but even without the SFG's its a fantastic plane... and you will love how it flys...

SK
Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hello Fantom and welcome to WattFlyer.

Another Multiplex model you might consider is the Gemini. Multiplex makes great, durable models. I have a Gemini, but don't have it together yet. Waiting on my 14' X 24' shop to be delivered.

You guys get the new Multiplex models before we do, so there may be something else new on the horizon.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 AM
pablo27

Hi Fantom it's nice to see another Brit on here.

As Jim said the Gemini is a great model to have, I've been flying one for 10 months now and still get a big kick out of it. I haven't looked at the Parkmaster before but I'm sure that with a bit of searching you will be able to find a sensible budget set up, probably from HobbyCity or Giantcod.

I'm using a HC Turnigy motor that cost 20, an ESC @ 8 and LiPo's @20, so it doesn't have to be too expensive and the wife won't mind too much, even with the credit crunch and all that .
Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I put togeather some old clips for a video of the GWS Formosa, aprox total cost minus TX/RX is $80-$100 - that includes the electronics and the plane...
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/2096718[/media]

SK
Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fantom69 View Post
Hi all,

I am from the UK and new to planes although I recently gave up heli's mainly due to cost/lack of flying time. I have got Reflex XTR sim and lots of hours on it flying planes, I would say I can handle the all the planes on there quite proficiently, even flying slow and steady, inverted flight to all out stick banging.

Due to the lack of time my life (wife and kids) allows and the unwillingness to goto the nearest flying club which is miles away, I was looking at getting the Multiplex Parkmaster 3D as this is the type of flying that interests me the most. I have a nice field behind my house and it's what I have my heart set on.

My questions are:

1) would I be foolish to consider this as a first plane even though my intentions are to fly very basic stuff and gradually move on in stages.

2) could someone spec me a motor, esc, battery, prop setup? I'm okay with radio gear as I have experience from heli's.

BTW, gotta say excellent friendly site, I think i'll be hanging around here for a few years to come!

Thanks in advance.
Hi Fantom69 and Welcome to Wattflyers, Lots of great People here, its my Favorite forum, I belong to a few Forums, but I Wast errrrr Spend most of my time here thats a nice plane you mentioned, I dont think you will have to much trouble going from a heli to a fix wing plane, and that plane is made from some strong foam Take care and have fun, Chellie

Last edited by CHELLIE; 10-29-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:35 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
well, as I always say, flyin aint the hard part, its landing that aint so easy...

I think since you're a heli guy, and it transfers extreemly well to airplanes, plus all the sim time, I'd say you may not have to go with a trainer setup to start with, but I'd recommend you set the rates to low, add some expo, and fly basic style flights for your first few times... mostly fly slow and in circles... a few loops/rolls... then when you're confident you know what your doing, up the rates.

SK

Ps, I'll lookup the plane in a while and find a good setup, but I'm not sure I like that plane, its kinda expensive, a little too expensive for my tastes...

SK
Your Just Cheap Steve Like Me Take Care, Chellie
Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

this would be a nice set up for that plane, a Turnigy a 3530c Direct drive.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_(Eq_AXi_2808)

and a 40 amp ESC, this esc has a 3 AMP BEC to power the 4 servos you will be needing
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2165

1750mah 3 cell Lipo 25C
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...5C_Lipoly_Pack

here is a great ( 9 gram servo for the money, stock up on these as they sell fast, its all our club uses in the small foamies,

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ec_Micro_Servo

and a 10x5 APC prop.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTV1

REQUIRES: Motor: Multiplex makes a power set for this kit that includes a
Himax 2816-0890 Motor, BL-17 Speed Control, APC 11 x 5.5" taper
collet and prop driver (MPUG3231)
Battery: Multiplex #15 7116 (not carried)
Battery Charger: LiPo compatible
Radio: 4 channel, FUTJ36**
Servos: Four micro, 2-Aileron, 1-Elevator, 1-Rudder
Misc. Items: Building and field equipment

SPECS: Wingspan: 37.8" (960mm)
Wing Area: 565 sq in (36.5 sq dm)
Weight: 18.5oz (525g)
Wing Loading: 5.9 oz/sq ft) (18 g/sq dm)
Length: 39.4" (1000mm)
Airfoil: Fully symmetrical, mid-wing placement
Center of Gravity: 4.3 - 4.7" (110 - 120mm) Back from the wing's
leading edge at the fuselage
Control Throws-
Ailerons: 2.5" (65mm)
Elevator: 2.5" (65mm)
Rudder: 3.5" (90mm)

COMMENTS: This model is NOT made of styrofoam and it is not possible to glue
the material using white or epoxy glue. Medium CA glue used with
an activator is the only method of gluing recommended by the
manufacturer.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Gimpster

I can fully understand your situation fantom69 as it mirrors my own. I spent a lot of time on the sim, then got a 3D plane designed for indoor flight with no indoor sites near me, so the plane sat. I got a heli and crashed it over and over. Then I got a larger 40" 3D plane, one of the Airfoilz kits. I flew it first time out and landed it with out issue.

I did however join a good local club, 30 miles from home. The people in that club are the reason I fly as often as I can. They made sure the plane was trimmed correctly for the first flight, they make the trip to the field worth it and they are the reason I enjoy flying so much.

I am married with one child, work 10hr days, have a 30 mile drive to the field and my plan only fits in my wifes car. I still find the time to go fly. My advice is do some more research, if you plan to go it alone find an inexpensive, durable and easy to repair airplane that has the potential to perform but also will slow down and cruise like a trainer. I don't think the plane you mentioned is the best option out there.

I have to second the Hobbyzone T28. There are at least 4 of them in the club and more keep showing up. They fly nice, and have the smoothest, lightest landings I have ever seen in the hands of novice fliers. They just settle right in. In fact most of the new ones showing up are in the hands of more seasoned fliers who are using it to practice formation flying.