Discharge voltage for storage of lipos - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Discharge voltage for storage of lipos

Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 PM
diverdon

Default Discharge voltage for storage of lipos

Hello everyone ... Please ....Can someone tell me how much to discharge lipos ? Voltage wise ? I was thinting to go to 3.8 per cell ?

Thing is it sems to take a good while to charge them when it's time to go back out .. I use batterys in the 2000 mah range the 3 cell ones ..

Get ready to go flying and the weather changes .. Windy and you gotta change your plans ..I Leave the batteries charged for a few days 3or 4 then discharge them down to 3.8 per cell ?? Is that right ? Or how long can I leave them laying around charged up ??

I notice that the batterys loose a little charge from just sitting around to ..

Please .2 questions .. How low should I discharge them when I do it . I go to 3.8 per cell now .. I have a little 12 volt dc fan I use to do it .. Takes a while but I think it's safer as I can watch it close to keep from discharging too much .. Question 2 is how long can I leave it charged up ready to go ?? before I need to discharge it

Sorry again for the long post I try not to do that ,, Thank You , Don j.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Jaiwill

Hi Don, I'm relatively new to the electric scene, i flew rc nitro some 30 years ago with my father and heard of the electric parkflyer scene and thought thats me...

While im not a full bottle yet on charging discharging (i'm getting there) my father is hes been doing it since ni-cads were little tikes.

Don't worry about the discharging thing until winter or your off flying season whenever that is.. I work away from home (2 weeks at a time) and can safely leave them fully charged, to come home and top them up, they generally don't need it, and go flying.. Have a look here

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...n&ct=clnk&cd=3

Get yourself a good charger/discharger if your serious about the hobby. I have the swallow advance DC version (hook up to your car battery or stable 12-14v power supply). If you dont have a 12-14 volt power supply in the hobby room get the AC/DC version so you can plug it into the wall..

Good Luck, Darren
Old 12-06-2008, 05:33 AM
Twmaster

Lipos are best stored long term (think over winter) at 50-55% of charge. In all honesty I have no idea what that voltage is as my charger does have the ability to charge ot discharge a pack to whatever percentage I want from 50 to 100%.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:02 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

3.8V/cell seems to be the accepted standard. IIRC, Everydayflyer has posted storage recommendations, where you discharge the pack to that 3.8V (or maybe 3.85V, I can't find the post right now), store it in a ziploc bag, and keep it in the fridge. When you are going flying, take them out the night before, let them warm, charge them up, and off you go.

If I can find the post, I will add a link here.

Here is one: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...76&postcount=4

Here is another trusted source: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-19.htm

Last edited by gfdengine204; 12-06-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Just about every post and most instructions for storage of Lipos refer to "Long term storage", but I've not seen any definition for "long term".

Is "long term" a relative amount of time based on the battery's life expectancy, your life expectancy, the life expectancy of your dog, or the amount of time you expect your house to survive until it burns down because of a Lipo fire?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Ellis1

Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
Just about every post and most instructions for storage of Lipos refer to "Long term storage", but I've not seen any definition for "long term".

Is "long term" a relative amount of time based on the battery's life expectancy, your life expectancy, the life expectancy of your dog, or the amount of time you expect your house to survive until it burns down because of a Lipo fire?
lol...
My completely unscientific method takes into account how nasty the weather is going to be in the weeks to come and how willing I'm to wait for them to charge from 50% if I get a good day Since my dog died in March and lived to sixteen I usually store mine at 50% if I'm not going to be flying for a couple weeks of more.
E
Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Don send your lipos to me for winter storage, I will keep them cycled, they will be used very gently in my planes, then charged and balanced with a blinky balancer, they will be pampered, and stored in a 70 degree home, they will receive nothing but the best care and go in nothing but the best Planes, and i dont Charge for my services, just send with return postage, thats all, and i will send them back to you when your weather gets better, Its no trouble at all Glad I could be of help, Take care, Chellie
Old 12-06-2008, 08:47 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Don send your lipos to me for winter storage, I will keep them cycled, they will be used very gently in my planes, then charged and balanced with a blinky balancer, they will be pampered, and stored in a 70 degree home, they will receive nothing but the best care and go in nothing but the best Planes, and i dont Charge for my services, just send with return postage, thats all, and i will send them back to you when your weather gets better, Its no trouble at all Glad I could be of help, Take care, Chellie
Wow, what a humanitarian you are!
Old 12-06-2008, 08:52 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Wow, what a humanitarian you are!
I try to be of Assistance LOL
Old 12-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Hey Don,

If you decide to have your batteries exercised during the winter months send them to me. I'm closer (I don't know where you are, but I'm sure I'm closer to you than CHELLIE is) and the postage will be cheaper.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:05 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hey Don,

If you decide to have your batteries exercised during the winter months send them to me. I'm closer (I don't know where you are, but I'm sure I'm closer to you than CHELLIE is) and the postage will be cheaper.
LOL Yes, But will you Pamper them with loving care I am in So Calif, where its nice and Warm Take care, Chellie
Old 12-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

LOL Yes, But will you Pamper them with loving care I am in So Calif, where its nice and Warm Take care, Chellie
Of course...

I even have the statistics to prove it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dt_amzn_pampers0207-thumb.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	85850  
Old 12-06-2008, 10:00 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Of course...

I even have the statistics to prove it...
The Competition is Getting Stiff LOL
Old 12-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

The Competition is Getting Stiff LOL
Nwo wiat jsut a mnitue, lte's nto gte preosanl hree...
Old 12-06-2008, 10:52 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Nwo wiat jsut a mnitue, lte's nto gte preosanl hree...
I did not mean it like That LOL
Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Gotcha...
Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Ok, back on Topic, Ok, What Was the Topic Oh Yea, Lipos Don, get yourself a RC Car or truck, and rip around the place with those, to keep your Lipos Cycled you may even want to get a RC Boat, you know how to Pilot a Boat dont ya LOL Take care, Chellie

Old 12-07-2008, 04:14 AM
diverdon

Talking

Ok, back on Topic, Ok, What Was the Topic Oh Yea, Lipos Don, get yourself a RC Car or truck, and rip around the place with those, to keep your Lipos Cycled you may even want to get a RC Boat, you know how to Pilot a Boat dont ya LOL Take care, Chellie

Hi Chellie ,

I was just thinking we haven't had any messages with each other for quite a while.... How have you been ?

Yes ... I can drive (Pilot) most any boat .. Actually have burned out on "Boating" but I really wish I could Pilot (drive) a plane like I can boats ...

How about you ?? Thinking we could get together and trade skills , .. I mean plane driving for boat driving ......Ha Ha ?? If you come to sunny Florida I have plenty of boats to train on .. You could help me "cycle" my batteries too..

OK ..Mind out of the gutter now .. Thanks for all of the tips everyone .. I'm thinking I will just leave them charged they will never sit that long without being used .. Also can number them so as to use them in some kind of order ..

So I just want to thank everyone for all of the good ideas ..
Here's to a happy and SAFE holiday season to you all , Don Johnson
Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Don, I keep a very brief log of my Lipo usage (charge information actually). I keep track of the Date (I charge it/them), battery number, cycle number, charging amps, voltage (just before I start the charge/balance cycle), time (it takes to charge/balance), the amount of mAh taken during the charge/balance cycle, and a place for notes.

This information seems to be enough to tell me the health of my batteries.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
diverdon

Default Thank you Sir

Don, I keep a very brief log of my Lipo usage (charge information actually). I keep track of the Date (I charge it/them), battery number, cycle number, charging amps, voltage (just before I start the charge/balance cycle), time (it takes to charge/balance), the amount of mAh taken during the charge/balance cycle, and a place for notes.

This information seems to be enough to tell me the health of my batteries.

I will try to start this as it seems like a great idea .. Just keep the book near the charger and log it when I charge them .. I have some learning to do if I'm gonna log all of the info you do but I can see where it might help .. Then too I think sometimes it's just luck and battery quality that tells how long the are gonna last ..

Still this is a good ...very good "I think" idea ... Thank You , Don J.

Last edited by diverdon; 12-08-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

To get you started, Don, I'll do a little show-n-tell...

• I use MS Word for my log.
  • Before I start the charge cycle I measure the pack's voltage with a Battery Monitor 2-6S. I started out logging each cell's voltage plus the pack's total voltage, but I soon dropped the cell voltage since this will show it to me whenever I want.
  • I use a GT Power A-6 as my charger/balancer/discharger, only mine's gold instead of gray. Except for the date, this charger shows me all the rest of the information I need for my log; selected charge current, charge time, and charged mAh. It will also show the cell's individual voltages and the pack's total voltage as it charges the battery.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Monitor 2-6S.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	86204   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT Power A6 Charger.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	86205