Turnigy Mythos EPP - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Turnigy Mythos EPP

Old 12-18-2008, 08:51 PM
gazzacov
Warm thumbs = More funs!

Default Turnigy Mythos EPP

Thinking of having a go at 3D flying at last.. but not too sure where to begin. Just spotted this ad, and looks ideal, but would appreciate any input from the more experienced peeps out there..!
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8365

Either that or this one... Sebart Shark S 30E.
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=27314

Both completley different aircraft, but both look suitable for my 3D learning experience!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:03 AM
flashburn

Go here http://kalteisen.com/ or http://www.swanyshouse.com/index.aspx
also go and join here http://www.theprofilebrotherhood.com/forum/
This is the home of real 3D, the rest is just pretend. You have much to learn and lots of fun to look forward to.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:54 AM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

When you're ready for the best in balsa-go to www.3DHobbyshop.com. Can be flown like sport planes on low rates and 3D heaven on high rates. ADCHobbies.com does their overseas shipping. If you want to go the EPP route to start with, the Flash or Yak by www.rc-factory.eu are other great bouncy plane choices. www.e-foamies.com also have some really nice built up EPP semi-scale/ 3D planes. My 2 cents
Old 12-19-2008, 03:44 PM
flashburn

I have the 3DHS Sukhoi, compaired to a Skeeter or Mojo I comes up short. Wing loading is on the high side with a airfoil designed to stall/snap @ around 30/35 deg elevator deflection. That info is direct from Scot Stoops the designer.
Plus it will not take rough handling. I sport fly mine and it's just OK. I do love the look in the air but cannot recomend it as a plane to learn 3D on. If you are a dedicated electric guy get a Skeeter if you have glow power start with the Mojo 60 powered with a Saito100.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:02 PM
darylm44

I have an EPP plane (not this one) and it is not "unbreakable"!!! In fact I think it breaks more easily than most of my other foam planes. I also don't like the flopyness that the fuse and wings have because of the flexable foam. Just my $0.02.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 PM
EDFrules

Haven't flown the Suk yet but I suspect I wouldn't do as well with it as I would with the 55" Extra or Edge. I think it would reward the more advanced pilot(not me). I have the 87" Extra SHP and it's the simply the best 50cc airframe out there till the 89" Slick comes out. I've flown a Mojo and it was alright. More of a "flailer" than a precision/3D platform. Kind of boils down to personal taste I find. If you want to practice smooth 3D then the longer tail moment planes tend to do better in that dept. If you want to flip flop around then the shorter planes get the nod. But in gazzacovs' case I think he's looking for a beginner 3D plane, so EPP would be my first choice. Built the Flash for my old bosses' son, with a little "pre-reinforcement" and he finally went head on into a tree and the motor shaft broke but the plane didn't have a scratch. Something to be said for a little EPP, carbon and tape to make those first few mistakes not so expensive. Get the 51" Slick instead, probably a lot easier to tame than the Suk. My 2 cents
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
I have the 3DHS Sukhoi, compaired to a Skeeter or Mojo I comes up short. Wing loading is on the high side with a airfoil designed to stall/snap @ around 30/35 deg elevator deflection. That info is direct from Scot Stoops the designer.
Plus it will not take rough handling. I sport fly mine and it's just OK. I do love the look in the air but cannot recomend it as a plane to learn 3D on. If you are a dedicated electric guy get a Skeeter if you have glow power start with the Mojo 60 powered with a Saito100.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 PM
EDFrules

I would have to agree, I didn't like the flopiness of some EPP planes, that's why a few pieces of carbon CA'd into the correct spots will help tighten the airframe up a little. Plus the Flash/Yak 54 from RC-Factory.eu has a decent airfoil and with some small diameter rods CA'd on both sides it is pretty tuff and stiff for an EPP plane. The thin built up EPP planes will certainly tear and break much easier than the thicker more robust types. But they do pay for themselves after the first few oooops!
Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
I have an EPP plane (not this one) and it is not "unbreakable"!!! In fact I think it breaks more easily than most of my other foam planes. I also don't like the flopyness that the fuse and wings have because of the flexable foam. Just my $0.02.