UAV and Solar Powered Flight - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

UAV and Solar Powered Flight

Old 10-06-2008, 11:24 AM
jakc

Default UAV and Solar Powered Flight

Ok, im jumping ahead a bit too far - currently im still creating my camera mount for my slow stick.

Although I love flying, I am actually more interested in the aerial photography side of things (i work in remote sensing).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with solar powered flight or UAV projects? This is something Id really like to learn about in the future.

For example, the other day a new record was broken for the longest UAV flight using assistance from solar panels on the wings - 83hrs straight.

Id like some of that - My SS running on a 3S Lipo only lasts around ten minutes.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jakc View Post
For example, the other day a new record was broken for the longest UAV flight using assistance from solar panels on the wings - 83hrs straight.

All it takes is money and LOTs of it, I think for a mere $70 or $80 Million you could beat it.

Last edited by Kosh; 12-22-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Aero Ace Ace

I don't think a slow stick would not be a good candidate for a solar powered conversion because of it's high drag, but it may work, being a slow model anyway. Payload capacity is a challange with solar powered RC flight. A handful of people have converted gliders and made small ~1 oz micro solar powered models. It's getting cheaper.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
jmstech

Very interesting thread! I think Aero Ace is on the right track here by converting a glider to do the task. I know more and more of these OSD with GPS are getting packed with more features and are leaning more towards UAV. Dragon Pro for example is still under development and is more UAV than OSD guided by GPS. Suppose to accept preprogramed way points, have artificial intelligence, deploy landing gear, guided by a IMU or artificial horizon, detect temprature for thermo purposes and all the normal stuff like some of the other finely made competitor products are using like auto pilot. I'm sure these will become more and more standard features on all OSD's available to us hobbyist for around under $400.00 The solar panels is not included. But I am interested on how one of you guys can successfully achieve this!! Would be cool to implement this with one of my OSD with GPS on my glider.