Hitec Laser Keeps Quitting - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Laser Keeps Quitting

Old 01-10-2009, 03:01 AM
Radbuster
Park Flyer

Angry Hitec Laser Keeps Quitting

My Laser 4 is only a year or so old and it's giving me fits. I lose signal in flight every so often. The RX holds direction (like its sposed to) and the right stick is just dead--for about 4-5 seconds--then comes back. I can usually recover, but not always. Not sure if the left stick is dead.

I've been blaming the RX, but I've had the same problem with dbl. conversion and synthesized RX's (both Corona); and in different planes with different ESC's etc.

I looked for loose stuff inside the TX but it's all tight. Thought it was a loose antenna but that's tight. Same with battery plug. It lives inside a field box and still looks new. Tried to reproduce it in the shop by shaking it. Can't of course. Any thoughts before I ship it out for testing?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:21 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Does it occur at various times in the flight? Does the transmitter battery seem OK?

Sometimes if you point the antenna directly at the plane, it can cause loss of signal, but it should return by moving the tip away from the plane.

I would suggest sending it back to be checked. Although, intermittent problems are hard to detect and repair.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:55 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I second that. Send in the Tx and Rx also. I sent my Optic 6 in and it only cost me shipping one way.

Frank
Old 01-10-2009, 04:40 AM
pburt1975
Hotel California

How many servos are you trying to run? are you running a Ubec? I have 1 esc that when hooked up to 3 servos causes the rx to cut in and out. Another of the same brand hooked up to 4 had no problem except it got hot fast. ubec solved both issues for me.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:52 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Make sure your antenna is screwed into your Tx tightly also. If it is loose ou could be dropping your signal intermittently.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Radbuster
Park Flyer

Thanks for all the replies. My first guess was a loose antenna but it was tight. I'm wondering about the battery. It was at 60% power the last time this happened. It's fully charged now, but I'm afraid to take it up again. I set it up on the deck and walked out 50' (I have a small yard) and it was spot on; even with the antenna down and pointed right at the plane. The engine was running during the test.

I have an old Tactic TTX400 radio. I can tune the RX (Corona RP4S1) to the new radio & channel (16) and try that. Only I've never used the radio and don't know if it has any bugs. Meanwhile, I've emailed Hitec and seeing about having them test it.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Radbuster
Park Flyer

Well, I tried the radio again, this time fully charged. And what do you know; no problems. I noticed the instructions say, "Always charge transmitter batteries before flying." I guess I'll believe them. Forget about the green lights showing battery strength OK. Just keep it fully charged.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Radbuster View Post
Well, I tried the radio again, this time fully charged. And what do you know; no problems. I noticed the instructions say, "Always charge transmitter batteries before flying." I guess I'll believe them. Forget about the green lights showing battery strength OK. Just keep it fully charged.

Yes, Charge your radio before you take it out, Its cheap insurance that was the first thing my instructor taught me, Glad you got it figured out, Chellie