3 channel set-up on my DX7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

3 channel set-up on my DX7

Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM
my quite

Default 3 channel set-up on my DX7

I've been flying my Honeybee FP for a while now, and i'm getting comfortable with it. When I'm charging I fly my simulator. I've been toying with the fixed wings a lot lately, and have become quite interested. So i broke down and bought a mountain models DuskStick. Now I figured this would be an excellent plane to learn on. On 4 channel radios throttle and rudder are left stick, while ailerons and elevator are on right stick. 3 channel radios are set up differently. Would I be wrong to set up my duskstick like a typical 4 channel set up? I don't want to get confused later when i learn ailerons about which channel is which. Does that make sense to anyone but me? I'm open to suggestions being my first fixed wing. Thanks guys. Mike
Old 01-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I'm not familiar with the DuskStick, but I will assume your issue is that the DuskStick turns with RUDDER, and does not have AILERONS...

I have flow all kinds of airplanes, and currently have some in my hangar that turn with rudder, and do not have ailerons. Here's what you want to do:

If your airplane has rudder, but no ailerons, put the rudder control on the right stick (with the elevator control).

If your airplane has ailerons, but no rudder, put the aileron control on the right stick (with the elevator control).

if your airplane has rudder and ailerons, put the rudder control on the left stick (with the throttle control), and the ailerons on the right stick (with the elevator control).

You want to get used to the idea of TURNING the airplane on the right stick -- it really doesn't matter HOW you turn the airplane.

Does that make sense? :o
Old 01-25-2009, 05:14 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

I do like Guy does above. I place my primary turning input on the right stick, and my secondary turning input (if there is one) on the left stick.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:16 PM
my quite

It does make sense to get used to turning with right stick. I guess my train of thought was that I didn't want to get used to using my right stick for rudder. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:22 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Hi my quite,
1st of all: WELCOME to WattFlyer! It's always great to see new faces.

LT and gfdengine have given great advice. The primary roll changing device is usually on the right thumb stick. You can set it up how you like, but that's the norm.

As for getting confused later when you switch to 4 channels, don't worry about that at all. You won't even think about what goes where, your thumbs will just know. Plz keep us posted on your progress!

Last edited by max2112; 01-31-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: changed yaw to roll
Old 01-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Gohmer
Banned

I set up my three channel (throttle, elevator, rudder) aircraft on my DX-7 with the rudder servo in the aileron rx port and mix in 125% aileron-rudder mix so I can taxi with the left stick and turn with the right like a aileron equipped airplane.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I would like to add, great decision on the Duskstick!

I don't think there is better slow flying trainer on the market than the Duskstick. Let us know how it is working out for you.

Frank
Old 01-30-2009, 04:24 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

If you are flying Mode 2,which is the standard in North America, then the controls are done this way.

Right stick is Pitch and roll, where roll.
Left stick is speed and yaw

In a three channel plane, the primary roll control is on the right stick. If that roll control is the ailerons, then they go on the right stick. If it is the rudder, then that goes on the right stick.

Right stick is pitch and roll.