First flight of HZ Super Cub - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

First flight of HZ Super Cub

Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Corsair13
new rc pilot

Talking First flight of HZ Super Cub

I got my Super Cub for Christmas. I haven't gotten to fly it until today due to windy weather. Today I went ice fishing and we were going to a big lake (Lake Mcbride, IA) so I decided I'd bring my Super Cub. At first it was hard to find a place cleared of snow then I found a place where a lot of snowmobiles had gone through. I took off and flew a sort-of figure 8 formation then I tried to land and the plane got stuck in the snow and flipped over. Then we moved to a different spot and I couldn't find a hard surface so I decided to hand launch the plane. I powered it up to full throttle and threw it. As soon as it left my hand I pulled down on the stick and got it up into the air. I flew about 200ft and started turning to the right then I circled about five times then circled the other way about five times. Then I started to bring it down. I cut power at about 15 feet and the plane GENTLY coasted into a large snow drift. I thought I did pretty good for a twelve year old newbie!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Right on! Off to a great start. Keep it up.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:16 AM
zirconx
RC Flyer

Sounds like you did really good for your first time out. I've camped at Lake Mcbride before, and I have family in that area.

I picked up a set of skis at my local hobby shop and installed them on my Super Cub, they worked great for taking off and landing on snow and ice.

Last edited by zirconx; 01-20-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:22 AM
1320fastback

You did better than I did the first time I flew, I wont mention my age :o
Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 AM
HEMICUDA

Corsair,

Congrats on your maiden and welcome to our addicting hobby!

Hemicuda
Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
fishingdan

Congrats. I picked up a super cub from Hobby-e-mart for my boys. I'm hoping we can get the sonic combat modules and battle!

FYI...I picked up this cub for a $60 from a Hobby-e-mart ebay auction. It had a bad esc/receiver. I just replaced that ($27) and we are ready for flight. Other than the bad esc/rx, the plane is new. They must have a bunch of holiday gift returns that they are clearing out.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Corsair13
new rc pilot

Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
Sounds like you did really good for your first time out. I've camped at Lake Mcbride before, and I have family in that area.

I picked up a set of skis at my local hobby shop and installed them on my Super Cub, they worked great for taking off and landing on snow and ice.
That Lake was the perfect place to fly. It was about 30 out, dead calm, and the snow had a thick crust on top. At first when I got it into the air I wasn't suprised at it flying, I was suprised I wasn't suprised at it flying and how easyly it flew. I can't wait till another day like that!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
zook

Corsair 13,First welcomb to the world of flying! Great job on youre first time out,Look foward to hearing reports on next time out.