Beginner Help! I want to start flying! - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Beginner Help! I want to start flying!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Corsair13
new rc pilot

Default Beginner Help! I want to start flying!

I'm new to rc flying except for the fact that I bought a CC flyer and flew it a little. (cc stands for completely Crap)This winter I plan on buying

Hobbyzone.com
HZ Super Cub $160
PZ Cessna 210 $100
Sport Wheels $5
Skis $10
Floats $10

Towerhobbies.com
10x6 prop (6) $10

Bmkdesigns.com
3mm propsaver $5

rcslot.com
PZ 210 prop (4) 10$
Old 12-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

The Super Cub is one of the best trainers out there for the money friend. It's good for what it was intended for. it won't take long to get the hang of it with this plane. Once you do, you can move up to the 4ch Cessna. Also, if you're serious about the hobby, you'll want to get a decent radio.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM
beavenx5

I second your choice for the Supercub as a beginner plane. The Dubro parkflyer skis are great for this plane and add only a little more drag which can be handled easily with the stock set-up.
As for the floats (GWS parkflyer floats), wait a little before installing them on your Supercub. They are quite heavy compared to the weight of the plane and add a lot of drag. I beleive they could be used with the optional upgrade 8 cells 9.6v battery but you might want to upgrade your SC to lipo batteries first (lots of info here on how to convert to lipo. Do a search).
In any case, get a few hours of flying time under your belt before flying with floats, it is a little more challenging.

Once you are confortable flying a faster lipo converted Supercub and an heavier SC with floats, you will probably be ready for a better second plane than the small Cessna 210. This Cessna is quite small and you won't be able to use any of the electronic on futur plane.
Personnally, I would wait a little longer and go with a PZ T-28 trojan RTF or a PZ F4U Corsair RTF as a second plane. These RTF planes you will get everything you need to go further in the hobby with a haft decent radio, lipo battery and entry charger. You will be able to go further and enjoy them longer than the micro Cessna 210.
Be careful, the T-28 and Corsair are big steps from the SC. It can be done if you take your time to master fully the Supercub first and if you start your first flights on the PZ warbirds at slower speed and on low rate. I started with these planes myself (SC and T-28), followed by my 10 year old son, my friend (he got the Corsair instead) and his 12 year old son. All with great success on our own. The key is to start flying the PZ warbird slowly at first.
Getting a flight simulator also would help. FMS is cheap and does a good job starting off...
Old 12-09-2008, 07:17 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

The Hobbyzone Super cub is a great start.... you can learn to fly it... then when you get ready for a second plane... Don't buy one yet...LOL

when you start getting bored with the way your cub flys... buy a couple 1300mah 3cell lipo batterys, it will be much faster... and will keep the weight down.... a 2200 3cell will fit, but its not as nice...

then...

when your ready, buy a decent radio and convert your cub to ailerons... all you will need at that point is a $10 esc and 4 cheap servos... HXT900's come to mind at $3.50 each.... you could also make the jump to brushless on it with another $20 or so investment.... having a decent radio will open alot of options later....

ps, one other tip, use velcro instead of the screws to hold the wingstuts onto the fuse... they'll hold up better on rough landings... and allow you to pull the wings flatter if you go brushless...

here's an old video of me flying a supercub converted to brushless w/ ailerons...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ess+w%2F&hl=en

have fun flyin'

SK
Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 AM
HEMICUDA

Corsair13,

You are right on track, stick with that plan and you'll be fine!

Hemicuda
Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Leo L

Hi Corsair13,

Beavenx5 is right on the money with his recommendations. Only thing I would change is that for your second plane, get the Trojan but in the PNP version, not the RTF. Then get the Corsair radio gear for it. It will cost you a little more to do it this way, but you'll have a much better radio system in your plane.

But getting back to basics, definitely start with the SuperCub. Best beginner plane you can buy.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 PM
beavenx5

My friend has a Corsair RTF with the DX5 radio. I don't beleive the DX5 is a much better radio than the ZX10 from the T-28 beside the fact it is 2.4Ghz.
If you are to buy a PNP version and a separate radio, get yourself a DX6i. Much better radio than the DX5 in my opinion.

The T-28 is a little easier to fly (specially in windy condition) than the Corsair. If you are patient and get enough experience on the Supercub, you can probably jump directly to a Corsair RTF with the DX5 instead of a T-28. The Corsair is a nicer looking plane than the T-28 and only a little less stable than the T-28. Not much difference in flying caracteristic I beleive although I only have 2-3 flight on the Corsair myself (over 100 with the T-28)
Old 12-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Corsair13
new rc pilot

Thanks for all your help so far. The reason I want to get the PZ cessna 210 is so I have somthing to fly indoors. I purchased the Super Cub, the skis, the wheels, the props, and the prop saver tonight. I plan on getting the PZ cessna, props for it, and the aerial drop module in a few weeks. I might have a oppurtunity to fly the cessna at a school gym that is down the street from my house.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Corsair13
new rc pilot

I like how you guys suggested the PZ corsair. I love the Vance-vought F4U Corsair or The Whistling Death . My second favorite plane is the
Gee Bee. It is so cool and funny looking!

.:o:co ol:
Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Corsair13
new rc pilot

For next christmas I'll probably get the PZ Corsair in the pnp version and get a decent radio so I can add retracts and a bomb bay to it. I think that plane would look amazingly to scale with the added retracts and bomb bay. I'll need some help with the construction of the retracts and bomb bay but I'm pretty much a electronics geek (I made it to state with my school robotics team!)
Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Corsair13
new rc pilot