Funjet setup - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Funjet setup

Old 10-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Tall
Josh

Question Funjet setup

Well, After a a couple months of flying other planes I want to try out a funjet,

I am still new to picking out motors, and am not sure what size servos the plane takes. I would like the plane to top out at about between 60mph and 80mph.

I know I would like to do a brushless set-up. But my other questions are...

What size servos?
What is a good and smooth esc?
What kind of motor and prop?
And what would the amperage be on the set up, I would like to run a 3s lipo...

Thanks for your help guys! I appreciate it!

Josh
Old 10-19-2008, 06:32 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

Well, you are in luck Josh. In my opinion, you cant beat a HET 4W brushless motor with a Castle Creations 35A ESC and a 3S 2100 lipo for the power system on a FJ. You can easily run an APC 6x4 prop (dont forget the 3.2mm / 1/8" prop adapter)on that setup, plus, add a seperate BEC to it and you can run a 4S lipo on it too. That will give you the speed you are looking for right now. If you want a little hotter setup, 90-100mph max, just use the HET 3W brushless and a 5.5x4.5 apc prop. However, the 6x4 will work fine also, just a tad more thrust and a tad less speed. All in what you want.

As for servos, we use Hitec HS-65s. They are strong, small and light. Just dont forget to get a couple servo extensions too so the leads will reach the RX.

This setup makes for a fun flying, fairly light weight FJ. We have one currently running this setup over here in Afghanistan and its a blast. We also have a couple running Neu motors on 2S... reallllly nice too, but pricey!

Good luck and have fun.... jet.

Laine.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:51 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

The FunJets are Nice, I have one, when turning, swing up to turn, these jets dive when turning, you have to hold a lot of up in the turn, if you turn from level flight, the back wing is small, and they will dip real bad in a turn, so swing up to turn, that will help a lot, here is my set up, if your interested, Take care, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...773#post338773

NAME: CHELLIE
SPEED: 103.00 MPH
PLANE: Funjet
MOTOR: 2845 HXT 2700kv
ESC: 80 Amp Turnigy
BATTERY: 4 cell LoongMax 2500mah 30C
PROP: 5x5 APC
Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Tall
Josh

Thank you both!

Laine: Where can I get the HET 4w brushless, and the prop adapter? My Local Hobby Shop just tried to sell me something else. I appreciate your set-up info!

Chellie: Thank you as well for the set-up and warning me about the bad dips!

Have a nice day all!

Josh
Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Ben D wing

Chellie, is this phenomenon the function of a relatively heavy Funjet?
I have two Funjets, on at 19oz and another at 12.5oz and neither display the characteristics that you describe. In fact the F'jet 'Lite' is especially benign and can be turned low, slow and really tight without excessive wing drop.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

tall... I usually get them from www.warbirds-rc.com Really good folks there. Great warranty on the motors too. The motors seem to be pretty much the same as a Mega motor, just lower priced. I havent had any issues with the 3 or 4 that I own.

Laine.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
Good responses so far. Decent equipment (for a happy change) and solid advice.
Um, Chellie? I think you may be a bit nose heavy. I've got a very heavy FunJet and it doesn't dip in turns. Mine is fast, right at 100 mph, well, o.k. 99.7 but I kinda converted it. I'm running 3s2p TPX 2200s, CC Phoenix 60 ESC, Mega 1615-2, and a WeMoTec minifan 480.

For a good sporting FJ another set of options from Imopar's is:
ARC 37-28-2.5 or 3 turn (the 2.5 will get you ninty and the 3 will only get you seventy or eighty), CC Thunderbird 36 ESC, and a pair of either the HS-65s *or* HS-81s or is that now 82s? Props can range from cam 5.2-5.2s up to 6.5-6.5s, get a range and play with them.

I'm running hs-81mgs in mine and don't mind the extra third of an ounce or so, but then I often fly at my local slope and really need extra tough servos.

I'm really enamoured of the ARC motors right now, they test out very close to Kontronik motors on the dyno and they're only about $49.
I don't yet know how long they'll last, but so far so good.

You can get them online through lite flite r/c check them out, you may be surprised...

And if I can load them, some pix of my Fun Jet jet. Oh, this thing ROARS in flight
RobII
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1697-b.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	81129   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1698-b.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	81130   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1699-b.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	81131   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1700-b.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	81132   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1701-b.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	81133  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1702-b.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	81134  
Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I flew chellie's funjet, but I don't remember an issues with it... you always bank a turn with the nose slightly up, on pretty much every wing, usually you trim it so that it will fly perfectly level, or will slowly pull up a degree or two every couple hundred feet, and that will help... if she's having to pull excessively up in a turn, its prob an issue with low rates...

SK
Old 10-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
Generally I do "pylon turns" with mine. You know, quarter roll and use elevator to bring it around, so I've never done the "bring the nose up as you enter the turn" thing.
On those rare times I have ranged out and done big sweeping turns with my FJ the nose never dipped either, or rather if it did I've been flying so long I've corected without noticing. Something other folk have pointed out to me a time or two.

On the trim for slight rise or whatever; I want my models to fly *exactly* where I point them neither rising or falling off, and mostly I get that, the Fun Jet is no exception.
Yeah, I *do* like this plane, especially with the fan mod. Pusher Jets always kinda bothered me...
RobII
Old 10-21-2008, 06:04 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Hey now,
Generally I do "pylon turns" with mine. You know, quarter roll and use elevator to bring it around,
Doesn't that automatically bring the nose up? or are they in a perfect knifedge style... next time you fly, ask someone if it looks like your nose is slightly up in a turn or at least slightly above level...

or rather if it did I've been flying so long I've corected without noticing. Something other folk have pointed out to me a time or two.
yea, you might do it without thinking about it.... I know I do....

On the trim for slight rise or whatever; I want my models to fly *exactly* where I point them neither rising or falling off, and mostly I get that, the Fun Jet is no exception.
Yeah, I *do* like this plane, especially with the fan mod. Pusher Jets always kinda bothered me...
RobII
Yes, I trim the same way... so that the plane goes perfectly level in flight aka... so that it goes the direction I point it in... but it is also easyier for some people to have the 1-2 degree pulling up... it can help in turns...

SK
Old 10-21-2008, 06:16 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi, The FunJet is Nice, but flies different than my wing does, it the only plane I have that dips harder in a turn, than any of my other planes, I noticed that if i turn from level flight, its like a delta, it does dip a little like a delta, where you have to add a lot of up, to get around that, I just swing up now during a turn, others at the flying field with their FunJets, have made the same remark, but then again, it may just be me, getting used to a New plane with different flying charistics, and thats the best way i can explaine it I do have a big lipo in there and a big ESC, and the motor is a little heavy, so i may be a little on the heavy side, well not me But My Plane Take care, Chellie
Old 10-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
Doesn't that automatically bring the nose up? or are they in a perfect knifedge style... next time you fly, ask someone if it looks like your nose is slightly up in a turn or at least slightly above level...
Hey now,
Perfect knife edge for my pylon turns. I've asked about the nose up thing and after looking at it in flight the folks are surprised that mine doesn't do it.
yea, you might do it without thinking about it.... I know I do....
I'd have thought so, but the folks say otherwise, strangest delta I've ever flown, although our local TWITT says this is more or less normal for double deltas and maybe this plane is more a double than a straight delta.

Of course it helps that mine flys fast, hasta fly fast, it has a glide like a home sick brick...
RobII
Old 10-24-2008, 08:46 PM
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

I'm running the Mega 3 turn, 5x5 APC, and 3s 2100. Relatively expensive motor, but it's from the days when most brushless motors came out of Europe and they were pretty expensive. In fact, it was the first brushless motor I bought about 5 or 6 years ago. Now you can get a slightly less efficent motor for a quarter of the price.

Servos are HS-81MG, rx is Castle Berg 4, and ESC is cheap TowardPro 40 amp. With something potentially going over 100mph, I don't like the idea of using less than 18gr metal gear servos...I've stripped too many nylon gears in 16 oz wings that weren't nearly as fast as the FJ.

I haven't weighed mine or clocked mine, but I'm pretty sure it easily hits over 100mph in a dive, and the other day I found out it will harrier acceptably and can even do a decent elevator, even though the pitch attitude doesn't change...

Mine doesn't seem to nose down as long as you don't over roll it going into the turn. It does climb slightly at full throttle, and doesn't roll great...My radio cannot program negative differential as recommended in the FJ manual, so I deal with it.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Tall
Josh

Thanks for all the help!

I just took her on her maiden flight today, three flights total! What an awesome plane! I appreciate all the help again!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Moonwalker

What size servos?
You can get away with HS-55 servos if you are not going past 100mph

What is a good and smooth esc?
Anything by CC good for up to 35 amps

What kind of motor and prop?
My pref is Mega. I like the 16/25/2 with a Graupner 5.2x5.2 for about 315 watts static (80-90mph) plane

And what would the amperage be on the set up, I would like to run a 3s lipo... Above on 2200 3S will draw 30-32 amps.

That motor will last forever and you can move to 4S and make the plane go 135 mph eventually if you get a bigger ESC and HS-65 servos. I ran that motor on 4S with a Graupner 5.5x5.5 and got over 900 watts and 135mph out of a 20 degree dive.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
I just put together another FJ. This one beng for club racing is stock, no extra carbon, no glass cloth, nuthin.
I'm running an ARC 28-37-2, CC Phoenix 60 ESC, TPX 3300 3s, Cam 5.2-5.2 prop, HS 81mg servos.
Drawing 65 amps for the first thirty seconds settling down to 58 amps.
This one actually has a glide ratio that's better than a brick and our resident radar gun owner clocked it *in level flight* no prepatory dive, at 111mph. Not too shabby really.

I don't have a nice direct way of getting it in the 100mph club, but it is listed at the "mussel rock rc" home page so there's some kind of vereification.

Anyway, it's fast, almost spooky, and still handles very well. This thing grooves nicely.
RobII