Super Cub NiMh Batteries losing power - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Super Cub NiMh Batteries losing power

Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 PM
JonathanR135

Default Super Cub NiMh Batteries losing power

I have a HobbyZone Super Cub. I bought it about a year ago. I bought the 8 cell battery about a year ago as well. I have noticed that both the 7 cell and the 8 cell batteries are not as powerful as they used to be. I bought another 8 cell battery about 6 months ago. It is still as powerful as it was when I bought it. I didn't fly my Super Cub for a couple of months, dues to bad weather and short days.

Has anyone else experienced this problem of their batteries not being as powerful as they used to be? Any suggestions to fix these batteries? I think I will go buy a multimeter to check the voltage on these batteries.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Batteries, especially lower-cost batteries like those included with the Super Cub (not junk, but not premium cells), slowly degrade over time and with use. A year of regular hard use will certainly wear a pack out. They only have so many charge cycles.

Lack of use can have just as detrimental an effect. A few cycles of charging and flying can often bring back some of the "oomph."

You may simply have to replace the batteries, though.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:11 PM
TalonOne
Crasher of things built..

A Lipo conversion is the best thing you can do for a CUB.

Gets you away from the older technology and really livens up the airframe. Be sure to check her for the many threads that describe how to do this.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

NiXX quality varies widely. Lifespan varies as a function of initial quality and then use. Cheap generally means that > cheap quality. But high price is certainly no guarantee.

NiMh has more power/wt. but is not (in general) as stable as NiCad. Heat, excessive discharge, excessively high charging, over charging, disuse and the like can all take their toll on the battery. As mentioned, a few cycles may revive them....and maybe not. No harm in trying.

DO NOT as is COMMONLY suggested discharge a PACk to zero volts. You risk completely ruining the pack.

You can get a huge amount of good information here:
http://www.hangtimes.com/rcbattery_faq.html
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Rodneh

You can try to do a forming charge on your old batteries. No guarantee but you will probably get some improvement by doing such. That is defined as charging at 0.1C for 16 hours. This will tend to correct any unbalance that has occured over time, especially if you have been fast charging. It will not correct any aging due to separator deformation or large crystal growth though. It won't cost you anything but time to try.