TURNIGY Multi-F DC Watt Meter 75A - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

TURNIGY Multi-F DC Watt Meter 75A

Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 PM
sbrv24

Default TURNIGY Multi-F DC Watt Meter 75A

Hi ,
I recently bought my self the below watt meter :
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/..._Watt_Meter_75A

I have set it up and treid it on my electric set ups and am sure it would help me a great deal in understanding my set ups eventually but as of Now I am not able to interpret the readings it generates .

I know this is not really a new product on UH and there would be users of the product in the group here , hence I would request so guidance on how to figure out from this meter the following :
1) The current Draw of my Motor Max at full throttle
2) The flying duration of the set up at full throttle
3) Any other info that can be derived from this meter.
Rgds
sai
Old 07-14-2008, 04:55 PM
eflight-ray

I don't actually have that meter I have the Astro Wattmeter but the information is basically the same.

Mine as all the read-outs in the window at once - Amps, Volts, Watts, Ah, where as the Turnigy seem to have Amps, Volts, Watts, mS, (servo pulse width timing?).

Volts - gives a good indication of the state of your pack, especially if it's a nimh, and also shows just how much the volts drop on full power.

Amps - the important one, they tell you if you are anywhere near the motor and ESC's limit. Always try to stay under that limit. You would probably find cheaper cells give less amps.

Watts - is just Volts x Amps.

mS - just shows the servo output timing, probably useful if setting up without a Tx, but I'm guessing there, have never used or needed that.

Duration, this is theoretical only as too many things change in flight, so it is really more down to the flight characteristics and when the LVC cuts in, i.e. you can't draw all the capacity out of a battery without damaging it so probably 70% is nearer the usable capacity.

Time (minutes) = Battery pack capacity (Amp/Hours*) divided by Motor Currenty (Amps) times 60 (minutes in an hour).
T = Capacity A/Amps x 60

*For the pack, use Amp/Hour instead of milliamp/Hour, 1800mAh = 1.8Ah, 2100mAh = 2.1Ah etc.

The calculation for flight time is almost a waste of time, (pun intended). As the load changes if climbing, diving, doing aerobatics, the LVC, how much the prop unloads when flying as against on the ground etc. Also fitting a bigger capacity battery doesn't always work as the extra weight can spoil the flight depending on the model, especially lightweight ones.

Hope this helps and hasn't confused you too much, the main things to watch are the Amps, (too much lets the 'magic smoke' escape from the electronics ), and most importantly just how well the model itself flies.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

You've already got this one, sbrv24, so I guess this is a moot point for you. But for anyone else reading, I'd suggest getting the Watts Up! meter for just $4 more (the price is $39 for members who have placed at least one order, so be sure to sign in first if you plan on adding it to your cart). Very easy to use and provides lots of great info. It's one of my favorite tools.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:29 PM
sbrv24

I went in for this meter only because it has a PCM throttle kinda knob so I can test without the Tx. Does the WATT"S have the same feature ?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:34 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by sbrv24 View Post
I went in for this meter only because it has a PCM throttle kinda knob so I can test without the Tx. Does the WATT"S have the same feature ?
No, it's just an inline wattage/voltage tester. But it just works great, and is ridiculously easy to use. The PCM throttle IS a nice feature, though.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 PM
netjunky

does the pcm dial give actual full throttle or will you get more out of your transmitter??
Old 11-21-2009, 11:06 PM
tiger moth

Originally Posted by netjunky View Post
does the pcm dial give actual full throttle or will you get more out of your transmitter??
Hi,

Just got one of these Turnigy meters myself.

Yes, it gives full throttle control. Even gives two Pulse Width ranges (I presume for different radio standards)

The meter works as advertised. You can use it inline with your radio controling throttle (just don't plug the ESC into the meter) or on a bench without a radio using the pulse width control. Very nice!

- John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3491.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	113816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3494.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	113817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3495.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	113818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3496.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	113819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3499.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	113820  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3501.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	113821  
Old 11-22-2009, 09:47 AM
Insomniac

One thing to note with the turnigy meter... it does NOT have reverse polarity protection!

Guess how I found that out....
Old 11-22-2009, 02:37 PM
tiger moth

Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
One thing to note with the turnigy meter... it does NOT have reverse polarity protection!

Guess how I found that out....

Good to know! Thanks for the heads up.

Just be extra careful soldering up your connectors and DON'T use the banana plus that come with the meter! Use a connector that physically cannot be plugged in the wrong way around.