Turnigy Accucell 6 1st Impression - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Turnigy Accucell 6 1st Impression

Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 AM
maverickma

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Cool, just a note too.......if you have a computer show near you (we do every 6 weeks or so) you can pick up a laptop or regular 400w PC power supply for less than 15 bux.
lemme know if you can't get on with something near you as I am sure I can source something locally as a last resort.

Good luck!

--Ray
Thanks again! Ya know.....we have a few laptop and PC cords from various laptops laying around here...I'll have to check them out. I think we have a box of them...not sure why we hold onto the cords when we get rid of the computers!! The one I'm using now on my Dell is 19.5V and a 3.34a. I know we have more. Thanks for the help! Doug
Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 PM
W5BSA
Joe W5BSA

I have had my Turnigy Accu 6 for about a week and it is great. Mine too came with the input 12 Volt DC connector with the center conductor diameter too large to make connection with the center pin in the input charger port. A similar connector off any wall wart charger that comes with a RC transmitter set should work fine. I recommend taking the time to set up the 5 programs to save the factors for your different batteries. Charger has several safety factors such as the default 120 minute of charge time limit.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 01-26-2009, 11:04 PM
murphy

Default Turnigyy input charge leads

Hi Murphy
Ok, couple of solutions come to mind......the easiest would be to visit a local electronics supply and see what they can do for you with that plug, next would be to pull the side plate off the charger where the plug is and check that maybe your jack has the correct inner diameter and maybe a bit larger outside...preventing the plug from engaging the male connector in the charger?
Try the elect supply first as I think they'll have an answer for you.
IF all else fails, I can send you a spare jack to alligator clips adapter that will work for you either with a PC power supply or a 12v auto battery. Although you could cut the jack plug off and resolder to your present adapter too? If you want I bought a couple of cheap chargers from DealExtreme.com and they use the plug you need. Here's a link to this, not a bad charger really for $9 (and free ship) I use it once in a while to charge my 2s lipo powered camcorder
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8798

lemme know, that Turnigy IS a great charger ! hehe

--Ray
Hello Ray
Thanks for your help and advice re the turnigy charger also your kind offer to send me a lead with crocidile clips to fit a 12v auto battery, I have managed to get a lead following your advice and am ready to get up and running with the charger, hopefully all goes well and I dont blow something up!!!, knowing me anything is possible.
All the best, murphy.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 AM
PlatinumX

I would like to order this charger, but I am a tad confused on how to power it. Whats the easiest way?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Originally Posted by PlatinumX View Post
I would like to order this charger, but I am a tad confused on how to power it. Whats the easiest way?
Hi X,
The simplest way would be to use a 12v lead acid battery for power.....open the hood of your car, same one or even a small motorcycle battery would be fine using the supplied alligator clips for either.
Beyond that, a 12v 3-4amp 120v laptop plug in power supply would work great also.

good luck!

--Ray
Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 AM
PlatinumX

how does it connect to a labtop power suppy?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:33 AM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Originally Posted by PlatinumX View Post
how does it connect to a labtop power suppy?
The Turnigy charger has the same type of power port as a laptop, allowing the power supply to operate the same as if it were connected to a computer
This is an easy way to use it at home from a wall outlet.

--Ray
Old 01-28-2009, 07:42 AM
PlatinumX

Im having a hard time finding that kind of power suppy on tigerdirect or newegg. Anywhere you know of when I can find one?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Brner
AMA16634

Recently purchased this charger on advice from someone on this forum and it seems to be working fine but I'm sort of lost in setting it up. I also dl'd the manual but they might as well left it in Chinese in some places...lol....as you can probably tell, I've not got a degree in electrical engineering... mauriban, earlier in this thread, mentioned he was going to do a review of the charger and post the link in here but I haven't seen that yet.

The Lipo section seems to be understandable and works great. But I'm having a bit of a problem understanding the Nmh section. Especially setting up the cycling of these cells. How does this charger know how many cells are attached to it? I have 7, 8 and 9 cell batteries and all seem to be charging at the same rate. Guess, heck I know, I'm missing something. Could someone turn on the light for me please and maybe walk me through setting this thing up to cycle these Nmh cells?

Don
Old 02-08-2009, 01:11 AM
murphy

Hi John,
No worries, that charger is pretty much "idiot proof" Ask me how I know that!!! I've tried to charge a 2s lipo at the 3s rate....nope wouldn't let it start.....the charger has the function of not only charging your batteries to their peak voltage BUT will also top off their Mah too. Very cool.
I was using a cheapie Esky charger, decent for the price, but it is apparent now that it was over charging my batteries voltage wise, but not quite getting them to max MAh......using the Turnigy 6 directly after the Esky charger showed the cell to cell voltage a bit high (4.24 avg) but would actually show another 50-60 Mah being put in there!!

My only concern with this charger is that the internal fan is getting a bit noisy at start up. A quick fix actually since we're talking a $2 part.

Now of course you COULD actually set the charger to try an push 4 or 5c charge rate through you battery and get things quite hot.......but the charger also has a temp probe port in it's side so maybe not? You gotta pay attention sometime eh?!

--Ray
Hello again Ray
I have my turnigy charger now and as you said it looks like good value for money I have downloaded the instructions, is it possible to check how much power/voltage is in the battery using just the charger, I am a bit concerned as I have never used lipos before and hear a lot of scare stories about them re going on fire etc, any tips would be appreciated, as when it comes to electric I am illeterate!!
Thanks again, John.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:07 AM
jer

Default Power supply and a question regarding temp probe.

Hi I bought it and am using using Heads up hobby 120v AC to 12v DC 5A Power Supply

I'm wondering where I might get the temp probe.

I saw a guy give these instructions but I'm a bit nervous about using this.

TEMP PROBE HOW TO:
HI I figured out how to make the Temp probe work 100% perfect!
The info up here is wrong!!
Here is what you need:
1, A duratrax ICE Temp probe
2, take out all wires out of black plug.
3, Place them back into plug in this order and when pluged in the charger temp socket it should be like this:
1, WHITE closest tawards the chargers 12v power input plug.
2, Then BLACK
3, last RED tawards bottom of charger.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:00 PM
jecchile

Default Turnigy Users...

Have a question regarding my Turnigy Accucel-6 charger... so far it has worked perfectly to charge LiPo and LiFe battery packs... the question I have is regarding NiCad/NiMh battery charging

While at the field I noticed my TX pack was getting a bit low so I decided to charge it using my Turnigy Accucel charger...

My TX battery pack is a Hitec 6 cell pack - 7.2 volts/600mah (weird)

I decided to charge it at 1C so I set the current at .6 amps and then tried to find a way to set the number of cells and could not find such menu. I decided that probably the charger is "smart" and would know the number of cells in the pack so I proceeded to charge it but keeping and eye on things... anyway, the charger was doing its thing and the voltage and amps charged were displayed on the screen as it should do...

I started to get nervous when the voltage went over 8.4 volts and shut the charge at 8.5 volts... the battery was not getting hot but since the full charge for a NiCad cell is about 1.4 volts (a total of 8.4 on this pack) I decided to play it safe and quit...

When I got home I reviewed the instructions and nothing is said on how to set the number of cells for a NiCad/NiMh pack...

Anyway, should I have just let it go and finish the charging process?,
would it have quit charging on its own as it does for LiPos?...

Any help from people with experience charging NiCads or NiMh batteries with this charger would be greatly appreciated.

Thanhs and Happy flying...
Old 04-20-2009, 03:44 PM
flashburn

It uses delta peak charging for NiCad and NiMh charging. I have had mine since late summer last year, use it with a Pyramid power supplyhttp://www.diguniverse.com/MOBILE-AV.../PYRPS9KX.html
Things for you were were ok voltage wise, the info to watch on the charger is Mah put in. and you might have to change the charge time limit as the factory setting in quite low to protect LiPo's from over charge.
I am very happy with mine noisy fan and all,(will have to try the oil trick) also have the twin charge leads and find them very handy.
I am yet to use the discharge function, I have an old Ace Didgipace for NiCad and NiMah discharge tracking.
The Turnigy has a storage charge function which I used last Nov. when I packed away the RC stuff for winter.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:05 PM
jecchile

[QUOTE=flashburn;594321]It uses delta peak charging for NiCad and NiMh charging. Things for you were were ok voltage wise, the info to watch on the charger is Mah put in. and you might have to change the charge time limit as the factory setting in quite low to protect LiPo's from over charge./QUOTE]

I like my Turnigy charger also - I use it at the field connected to a 7AMP battery. At home I have a Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite which is a great charger also which work of "Delta Peak" for NiCads and NiMh batteries also but have never show voltages greater than 8.4V for that pack... On the Accu-Cycle I am pretty sure that you have to enter the number of cells in the NiCad pack... I could not find that set up on the Turnigy.
Thanks for the reply...
Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
flashburn

Forgot to mention 1C is a bit high for NiMah I use 1/10C max.
I only use then for Trans/rec. power. I have several airborne packs up to 2200 Mah cap. The 2200's are very charge sensitve as to get that capacity into the standard package the insulation wraps are thinner.
Perhaps the high charge rate caused your Accucel to miss the Delta?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:29 PM
jecchile

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
forgot to mention 1c is a bit high for nimah i use 1/10c max.
I only use then for trans/rec. Power. I have several airborne packs up to 2200 mah cap. The 2200's are very charge sensitve as to get that capacity into the standard package the insulation wraps are thinner.
Perhaps the high charge rate caused your accucel to miss the delta?
well, i don't know about that... It seems to me that if i charge at home, a trickle charge would be aok but if i need to charge at the field, a 1c charge rate would be appropriate - else you'd have to waste the day charging instead of flying. I'm pretty sure that the nicads or nimh batteries can take that charge rate with no problems... When i am at home i usually trickle charge them overnight and/or cycle them with my accu-cycle...that should keep them in good shape.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:04 AM
ashkanr

Originally Posted by jecchile View Post
well, i don't know about that... It seems to me that if i charge at home, a trickle charge would be aok but if i need to charge at the field, a 1c charge rate would be appropriate - else you'd have to waste the day charging instead of flying. I'm pretty sure that the nicads or nimh batteries can take that charge rate with no problems... When i am at home i usually trickle charge them overnight and/or cycle them with my accu-cycle...that should keep them in good shape.
NO! 1C is too much for a NiCd or NiMh battery! Please make sure you are not exceeding the values mentioned here:
powerstream.com/NiCd.htm
It doesnot say good stuff about 1C charging (check "fastest charging" section).

I would say if you're in a hurry at the field you can charge at max at C/3.....
Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 AM
1320fastback

I just ordered mine a few days ago, stepping up from the HX8080 which I have had zero problems with btw. Just want alittle more info while charging.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:28 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ashkanr View Post
NO! 1C is too much for a NiCd or NiMh battery! Please make sure you are not exceeding the values mentioned here:
powerstream.com/NiCd.htm
It doesnot say good stuff about 1C charging (check "fastest charging" section).

I would say if you're in a hurry at the field you can charge at max at C/3.....
First welcome to Wattflyer....!

No question we absolutely abuse our batteries in this hobby. Depending on cell type - we would charge at 5c maybe more. With good NiCad cells (like 1300 sanyos) I would charge on Auto - regularly at near 5 amps - then it would ramp down toward the end of the charge. This was standard operating proceedure.

Certainly well past what Sanyo would "like". With the modern NiMh I would also do 4c commonly.

Now with AA size cells - I would NOT charge at more than 1c. They just got too hot.

So we paid for that in decreased cycle life- but did not have to wait more than 20 mins to charge a pack. Using them hot off the charger gave you a boost in power too - again battery abuse! But we generally had a nice on our face.

Then we found LiPoly and our world changed.

Also - that enable the peak charge to work properly. Charging at 1/10c rates will generally trigger a false peak. 1c or more is generally better for peak.

And from a couple of posts up - don't worry about cell count with NiMh or NiCad. These chargers simply charge - then monitor voltage. When the pack is fully charged it will actually start to drop voltage. When that occurs the charger knows it is full and it will stop.

Mike
Old 07-26-2009, 05:24 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Default Turnigy Accucell 6 !!!

Originally Posted by mauriban View Post
Yes great charger I can assure everyone that its very easy to use I will soon do a review of it and I will post the link in this forum

Maurizio Banavage
Mr Maurizio!!

Did you find the time to post the above review?? I have this charger for about 2 mos. now, but thought I might learn something from your review!!

THANKS!!!
Jimmy
Old 10-05-2009, 07:39 AM
jmilunsky

Question 1S Lipo 3.7v connector for Turnigy Charger

I have the new parkzone sukhoi which takes a 1S 3.7V lipo.

I'd like to charge this with the turnigy charger but need the connectory. I believe it's a mini jst-xh

Anyone have any ideas. Or perhaps a cable that will let me charge many of them simultaneously 1 or more

Thanks
Jack
Old 01-20-2010, 04:52 AM
dsreed1

As it's winter here in MD, I'm not getting much flying time in...and as I read more, I realize that I should store my batteries at about 40% capacity and not empty or full. Regarding the Accucell-6, can anyone give me some basic advice on the proper way to use the "storage mode" for LiPo batteries. Specifically, I notice during the setup that the current seems to be limited to 1.0A. Why is that? How do I know what to set the current to? Thanks....Dave

ps: regarding the temperature sensor, google "LM35 Hobby City". I haven't tried this yet, but it looks legit. Just have to find a source for the LM35 sensor.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 AM
maverickma

Originally Posted by dsreed1 View Post
As it's winter here in MD, I'm not getting much flying time in...and as I read more, I realize that I should store my batteries at about 40% capacity and not empty or full. Regarding the Accucell-6, can anyone give me some basic advice on the proper way to use the "storage mode" for LiPo batteries. Specifically, I notice during the setup that the current seems to be limited to 1.0A. Why is that? How do I know what to set the current to? Thanks....Dave

ps: regarding the temperature sensor, google "LM35 Hobby City". I haven't tried this yet, but it looks legit. Just have to find a source for the LM35 sensor.
The charger defaults to the correct target voltage for storage and I always discharge my lipos at 1amp which is also the default. I use this charger to discharge all of my lipos for storage.