E-Flight Apprentice Maiden Flight - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

E-Flight Apprentice Maiden Flight

Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Default E-Flight Apprentice Maiden Flight

Have also a detailed report under Foamies, this puppie is huge compared to my other parkflyers, has the largest Lipo and the 58 inch span makes for very easy view inflight..

Using just over 1/2 throttle and less when airborne so not trying anything sporty as yet, still becoming comfortable with the controls even tho its a trainer level...it takes off with ease on slight up elevator, max throttle stayed away incase of torque issues, it goes right up for you, don't expect a rocket take off unless you use the max throttle, will hold on that for later...amazing how large this is even as it increases in altitude, a definite plus side here, responsive even at low throw with the ailerons, rudder is large enought to manuver as nice surface area here, but the ailerons are much easier to use with this type of craft, had the elevator set level, infact never changed the trim here as yet, did a very gentle flight, trying power off and not too suprised it glided very well this type of wing span, several minutes of flight powering off to get the feel for upcoming landing, field was large area and grass short so elected to make a grass landing, nearly deadsticked it in but some low gusts going on toward evening, so correctly gave it minimum throttle as she was coming in, took two passes as abit of a long glide ratio, next pass right in with again minimum throttle, it settled gently nose up as rather large wheels here, like this...so its truly a winner...bigger yes, has some nice responses, not sure if at this moment would say its easier to fly than the famed Super Cub, is a different handling going on tho nothing unexpected, watch too tight of turns as will drop as most craft will, so go easy especially if your using low throttles at the start....Did an early AM flight moments ago, more winds than last night but axnious to see how she handled, very easy, some gusting on the landing but was so close I had to step out of the way again a grass landing in a much smaller area vacant pkg lot but nice apron of grass, no problems at all, motorists stopped intime to witness the landing, it came down easy tho very slight thud with winds, otherwise on the money, he passed saying, nice flying !! Responded thank you, abit of heavy breezes going on my 2nd flight, liking this one, hi hi...<>..

Received in excellent packing, foam deviders with some bubble wrap, no dings upon receipt, only have to hook up the clevices on the tail, bolt the tail in, easy task, wheels simply pop in, the front nose requires attention with screw, abit of an angle but not bad on fastening, ailerons are taped, don't miss this, pull the tape off and they also require clevis, no adjustments were needed tho on the ailerons..the transmitter is on the lower side but very workable, nice pulse adjustments, no sliders here, trims out easily..yet to do any COG adjustments, mine flew right out of the box similar to the Super Cub experinece....the wings are in two pieces with rod fit right together perfectly, plastic on the front center and in rear for protecting the foam wings as uses large supplied rubber bands fitting on the plane, many of my older planes were this way, didn't mind this at all, quick to fasten...watch the aileron wires, as plug together from the receiver, make sure example the brown outside matches the plug to the wing and your in buisness....few more flights will throttle up more to inverteds etc, but at the moment enjoying a truly fun trainer, did a good job on this one....oh and even the batteries for the transmitter are supplied, only requires four double AA'S, has the Spectrum tech so should enjoy frequency clear flying on the upper band...see how many flights I pack in before looking forward to some exceedingly fun Night Flights !!

BEST WARREN ..<>..

Liking these easy Sunday Flyers, my tops are:

Planes I like at the moment, Bipes, Art-Tech Pitts, docile near trainer
Stryker B, not the C, unfortunately discontinued rare to find, ailerons
Easy Star Glider, 30 minute flights
Super Cub, cut my teeth on this one, its all they say it is..
New Apprentice yes I like this one with only 2 flights
New Cox Eagle Pitts Bipe, still in box as arrived same day as Apprentice..
Psst Cox is closing out on this one, dropped from $129 to $89, bargain !
Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Only three flights todate on the Apprentice, the 58 inch span makes for easy gliding with trottle off, still sharpening on my take offs, the landings tho are great, wheels large enough to grass land...impressive here...

Takes only a few moments to fasten together the two wings and connect the ailerons, then the bands support the wings, last install the large Lipo Battery, yet to run her down am currently into 10 minute flights as in the early stage and want power if needed for landings..going to re-check the COG Center Of Gravity, as might be slightly tail heavy but still flying very predictable so far....

Only thing I can spot is on take off it may turn on a newcomer, as ailerons are responsive, you could set it up for rudder and elevator only on the other side if your use to only 3 channel, but it turns rather slowly with just the rudder, the ailerons are alot more responsive for you...

My main objective on this one is for later Night Flying, had many successful ones with the Super Cub, its a real thrill and goe easy on these, twilight flying till you get the feel for light visual only, its a real blast, extends flying into the night when conditions usually improve...try it and your hooked....trainer model is definitely required to start these, later can try other planes limited only to your flying skills..

The flying characteristics of this Apprentice are definitely trainer qualities, huge plane here compared to other park flyers, the extra foot even dwarfs the Super Cub, will make an outstanding visual just with its size...it is 4 channel slightly above the newcomer first attempts but very possible with extra help from a seasoned flyer, I personally think the take-offs on the Super Cub are abit more predictable than the Apprentice, tho mine very well could be some trims still going on and I've had hundreds of flights on the Cub, inflight I'm still using medium to low throttles and it behaves very well especially with altitude, you can put this one safely up with altitude to spare and still get a stunning visual, so it wins here on superb visual, no contest...landings so far are superior to even the docile Super Cub, I do have landing issues with some of my other parkflyers, but not with the Super Cub, and the Apprentice settles down even better, so Apprentice wins on landing by a long shot

BEST WARREN ..<>..
Old 08-23-2008, 06:43 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default cool beans

Thanks for the write-ups Warren. That sounds like a very nice plane you have. I have never seen one in person but the web site pictures look fantastic.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:10 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Pics are worth a thousand words, tnx on that one, yep thats her, at last have the COG Center Of Gravity set about right, was having take-off issues turning while taking off, added the needed front weight under the battery, plenty of room there hollow area and now, she's up straight as an arrow, flights are amazing, not a zoomer of course, but heck this is a beefed up sizeable bird that flys well, its slightly different handling than the prized valued Super Cub, but the extra's on this one as brushed motor make it an exciting venture, got this one for some more Night Flights, added size will certainly add to the fun, flew twilight before dawn, no issues, things are getting closer, sure you will see one soon, its a honey so far for me...I'm horrible on landings other than with the 400 flights on 2 Super Cubs, and now this one, she lands easily for you with a grand visual coming in for less chance of failure, now correct trim it deadsticks, throttle off, all the way, like a picture, hi hi, TNX BEST ..<>..
Old 08-28-2008, 03:51 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

One of the main reasons on my choice for the Apprentice, more fun Night Flights, its really behaving nicely now, first had some change on COG, still abit heavy there will simply add some more lights just to the rear of COG for more, and should be great, had its 3rd tor 4th Night Flight AM well before dawn, total darkness but well lit vacant parking lot, fabulous, flew just under 10 minutes of total fun, shared with a new flyer, he's going to possibly do this later with his Super Cub, what fun..BEST
Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Zoo
The Black Baron

Default about the lights

Is your friend going to use the x-port lights on his SuperCub?
I'm curious because I'd love to see em. I'll trade ya lights for a drop module with streamer bombs & parachute guy new in box....just a thought.
Zoo ~~~^..^~~~
Originally Posted by phillipmorris View Post
One of the main reasons on my choice for the Apprentice, more fun Night Flights, its really behaving nicely now, first had some change on COG, still abit heavy there will simply add some more lights just to the rear of COG for more, and should be great, had its 3rd tor 4th Night Flight AM well before dawn, total darkness but well lit vacant parking lot, fabulous, flew just under 10 minutes of total fun, shared with a new flyer, he's going to possibly do this later with his Super Cub, what fun..BEST

Last edited by Zoo; 08-28-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: forgot a point
Old 08-28-2008, 09:01 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

X-port Super Cub Light Module..
That would look nice, see if we can talk him into that, hi, hi newbie pilot so see how far he goes...

Even these abundant intensity lights give a grand view in complete darkness, going to add a few on the side fuselage as needs some more balance work with these additions, I paid around $18 for 100 of these intensity ring lights on eBay, work fantastic....very light have their own internal batteries, plenty of illumination with these...<>..

Believe this is the X-port lights you mention, look fantastic...
http://www.thexportzone.com/lights.html

Careful, is a smaller Black plastic light module that works on the X-port, only a few lights on this smaller casing, not enough illuination from others reporting on this one, easily see why many disliked it...<>..

This Night Flight on the Apprentice is working out great as expected, my landings are easy in the lit parking lot, real fun tho to land in total darkness, actually amusing, only adds to the fun...did this with my older Cub, some like to fly in moonlight, I love this as well but full moon is distracting for me tho certainly helps coming in if your using a total dark area...in these darker conditions its a challenge to tell were the ground is on touch-down..its a real rush here, nothing like it...hi hi...BEST ..<>..

Pssst a total dark area, you won't see your shoe tops, good luck, hi hi..<>..
Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Zoo
The Black Baron

Default lights

Do ya happen to have a link to those light you spoke of please?
Thanks much!
Zoo ~~~^..^~~~
Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Ring finger light, laser rings, ring led lights, intensity lights are the frequent names on these, also watch for the Walmart Celebration lights...

These are the ones, believe your referring to the intensity lights I use, heres a link
http://www.ravestuff.com/products/le...FRILIgodulXdQw

Pssst, check eBay for larger lots of these, often show up..

Yep, here's one, requires Pay Pal account, 48 lights, $13 plus $8 ship, not too bad, as all eBay check out the seller's rating etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Laser-Finger-...QQcmdZViewItem

If your lucky can find them from a supplier by lots of 50 to 100 (eBay) for over 10 to 20 bucks, nice bargain there, easy to attach simple velcro form craft supples example Walmart, also note are Celebration Lights in the Wedding Decor of the Walmart stores, about 10 bucks for over a dozen, clear white but rahter bright and even lighter, both options have self contained batteries, your ready to go...look close in the Walmart Craft section, small round card of these, easy to overlook, some of the workers may not be aware they have them...<>..BEST ..<>...

Range on these is over a block or so, I usually fly close on Night Sky about 1/2, 3/4 block keeping things well in range...<>..if you skys are unusally clear and very dark perhaps over 2 blocks but careful watch your line of flight so you don't lose her...<>..

For best results on Night Flights, use the plane with the most logged time, trainer suggested as stable flyer, do twilight flights first and find how far you can venture into the Night Sky, most like the darker twilight, eventually you'll make complete darkness, watch the landing, its a panic, I simply love it...<>..I can't land a dang plane in the daytime, but is even more fun at night, hi hi..<>..

My lighting is minimal, with most on the bottom where majority of the visual is, at least 8 on the Apprentice, 4 to 6 bottom wing of the Cub, only few on top as only appear lowering the nose and during landing, 2 to 4 fine...at least 2 or 3 face the rear, the fronts ones shine thru just not as bright lets you know the directions on things, most of the flight have it approaching, and fly abit low but enough room for input errors and recovery if needed...its a beauty coming in on the landing, christmas tree colors of lights, fantastic...BEST ..<>.

Last edited by phillipmorris; 08-29-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:30 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Several Nocturnal Night Flights on the Apprentice, as a trainer is behaving very docile, this AM was out way before dawn break, complete dark tho well lit parking area, was simply fantastic, nice visual within couple block radius, parking lights steal some of the further ventures, but safer to keep it fairly close, several cars pulled in from the main road checking to see what was going on, not sure what these strange multi colored lights actually were, course the electric is quiet, only see this increadible display, flew close to ten minutes tho not timed, brought it home easily, dropped abit of altitude careful to keep above the light poles, out to the edge of the lot slight tight turn to lose even more height, came down like a trooper, couple lights on top help tho again lot is well lighted, skimmed right in only 20 feet past me, you just have to love this, nothing like it, absolutely minimal breeze, these times of flight are exceptional, loads of fun, hi hi..<>..

Only 8 lights used as are 3 on each bottom half wing totaling 6 for underside visual, two face the rear, on the top two lights facing the front 1 on each bottom wing tip both facing forward, rear lights also shine to the front but not with intensity as are directional..more certainly could be used, this seems to be around the minimal required...<>..over 2 blocks away side turn it nearly vanishes momentarily on the edge view, side fuselage lights could be added, simply keep turning and things pop right back...<>..quite an experinece...missing on alot of fun if you have yet to try this, again go early dusk on the first outings to get the feel for it...<>..
Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Bollekes

Default 15e

great plane for beginners as my self
Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Thank you for the response.

Yes its an excellent flyer for the beginner, but note is an aileron ship and can be abit responsive but great size and handling.

We have couple of these now at our flying field and still enjoy its night flights, days are getting shorter and no reason not to extend the flying time, its awsome.