Need help with elevons setup on DS6i - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Need help with elevons setup on DS6i

Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 AM
drwright07

Default Need help with elevons setup on DS6i

Hi everyone,

I have just assembled the Stealth F-117 by RC Powers. It is my first elevon plane. I set up the model for elevon control per the instructions in the Spektrum DS6i manual and sure enough the elevator and aielrons function but......the control input for elevator works the aielrons and the control input for ailerons works the elevator. I have tried for hours to correct this with no luck. Anybody out there who can set me straight?

I appreciate the help please.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:38 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

I think you need to reverse one of the channels. I run into the same thing setting up CCP mixing on my heli's sometimes.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:02 PM
drwright07

Thanks for the reply. You are right, it took some reversing to fix the problem. Ready maiden the F 117 today not to windy.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:16 AM
starfire73

I'm having the same problem. The only thing is, if I reverse ELEV, they go the wrong direction but the AILE works right. If I reverse the AILE then the ELEV works right, but the AILE are going the wrong way. If I reverse both channels, I end up with the same thing as when I started.

HELP!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:22 AM
iflyrc1012
Insane Wiggy pilot

starfire,
look for another thread here with the same name need help w/ ds6i elevons the answers are there for ya
Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

One or all of these links should help you.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58113
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1555
Old 10-05-2010, 04:56 AM
starfire73

Thanks for the help. But I tried all the tips and still nothing. I just bought the radio today, and the plane I was setting it up for is a delta wing.

I was 50/50 on deciding between the Futaba 6EX 2.4, or the Spektrum DX6i. I guess I have my answer now. I am going to return the Spektrum for the Futaba. This is a bunch a crap... they can't even get something as simple as elevon programing right? It took me about 30 seconds to setup elevon mix in my Futaba 6EXP (72 Mhz). I've worked on this for about 2 hours... no luck.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

There is nothing wrong with the elevon programming in a Spektrum DX6i. Sounds more like you just can't figure it out. I could set up elevons on your DX6i in the same 30 seconds it would take you on your 6EXP.

Then again...never mind. Just go trade it for the Futaba in the morning.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 AM
starfire73

I gave 'er one last try. I called Spektrum's customer support. Long story short. He told me all the things to try, but this time hooking up the servos opposite of what the instructions indicate. It finaly worked!

I'm glad. I wanted to stay with the Spektrum. I like the Futaba, but the Spektrum 6 channel has few more features then the Futaba 6 channel.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:52 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Glad you have it working now starfire.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:28 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by starfire73 View Post
Thanks for the help. But I tried all the tips and still nothing. I just bought the radio today, and the plane I was setting it up for is a delta wing.

I was 50/50 on deciding between the Futaba 6EX 2.4, or the Spektrum DX6i. I guess I have my answer now. I am going to return the Spektrum for the Futaba. This is a bunch a crap... they can't even get something as simple as elevon programing right? It took me about 30 seconds to setup elevon mix in my Futaba 6EXP (72 Mhz). I've worked on this for about 2 hours... no luck.
Try this:

Fix For Elevon Routines

Found a fix for the Elevon problems (fixes them all, I think).

This is slightly complicated, but bear with me. In the end, you get everything working plus a bonus feature at the cost of only one mix.

First, plug your right servo into the aileron plug and your left servo into Aux 1 (the Flap plug). I've only tried this on one plane, so I don't know if those might be reversed in some setups.

Then set your Wing Type to Dual Ailerons. Now check your aileron control -- it should work normally for an elevon plane (elevator is not yet working). If it doesn't, you'll probably end up having to reverse your plugs to make things work right.

Next, go to Mix 1 and set Elev -> Flap with both rates (D & U) at 100%. In my case that was -100%, but you may have to use +100 percent in your setup. Check function; at this point it should look like an Elevon plane with a boatload of travel. Don't fret about that -- the extra travel will "fix" your trim buttons! And don't forget to set "Trim" to ACT in the lower right corner of this screen.

Now, if you want differential it should work perfectly. If it goes in the wrong direction, you'll have to back up and reverse the plugs (move the servo in Ail to Aux and vice-versa) and redo the other settings to reverse them. Ultimately it means you'll have all the function back at the cost of a single mix.

But you get some payback for that mix: your Flap switch will now work! Probably the best use for it on an elevon plane is adjusting the elevons to max glide duration in case you want to do some thermals and don't want to try and see what the little bugger is doing at 400 feet...

Undoubtedly your elevon travel will now be too great. If you go to Dual Rates and reduce your top rate down at least to 80% of full, your trim buttons will now be completely safe to use -- the endpoint travel will not be greater than your allowed travel, so the weird "button effects" go away.

As far as I can tell, this is a complete fix. Would be delighted to hear if anyone hits a snag... also this leaves the option of another mix open (if you're using rudder and want a mix, or wish to do a throttle -> "flap" mix to get the torque roll out, for example).

That should do it.

Hillbille
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

BTW - The reason for the varying rates *** -100 vs +100 *** is due to the servo POSITION and being either "normal" or "reversed" in your setup.

In order for ELEVONS or FLAPERONS or TAILERONS to actually WORK correctly both channels have got to be equal when starting - the radio programming counts on this for setting the mixes. SO...BOTH channels used MUST be either NORMAL or REVERSED but they must be the SAME!!

This is why people are hard pressed to get a servo reversing extension cable - so that if a servo needs to be reversed for Elevon, flaperon or taileron it can be done OUTSIDE the radio programming so that the radio only deals with the mix. I don't think it is tied to any particular radio manufacturer as to "HOW" they handle the mixing or programming of their particular systems - and they are all just slightly different. We as modelers just learn to deal with what we have and make things work FOR us and not against us.

Having one channel you are using "reversed" will cause 1/2 of your "mix" to work and the other half to be reversed.
Example: Your elevators work flawlessly but the aileron portion is backwards - i.e. left stick makes right turn on the plane. If reversed then the ailerons work perfectly but up stick is DOWN on the plane!! The transmitter is fine and so is the mixing - you just need to reverse one servo OUTSIDE of the radio and all will be fine!! Sometimes this can be done easily - by turning a servo "OVER" before mounting it. Something has to be done to cause them to be opposite BEFORE they are installed.

Hope this helps and you can get your plane working like it should.

Hillbille