Noob old F&@t ..push rods - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Noob old F&@t ..push rods

Old 05-14-2011, 03:46 AM
Hoot48
Noob old fart

Default Noob old F&@t ..push rods

Just now building first 3D Epp foamy

Think I understand most ofnthe necessary systems

But need help finding Matching components for making adjustable push rods with clevises and carbon fiber tubes and threaded rod to fit the cf tube etc

There are several vids I have found that show how...but they really don't deal with what...Dave Powers has a vid that is very good on the subject..but still dont give resources and sizes for components.

If anyone knowsmof a definitive video or article on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Hoot Howell
Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

If you want adjustable clevises on push rods, her is how I do it.

Pick your clevis. The package will tell you iof it takes 2-56 or 4-40 or what ever threaded rod. You then select the threaded rod that fits those clevises and start looking at carbon tubes. I usually use 4-40 rods and clevises.

The 4-40 rods have an OD of about 2.7mm according to my cheap digital calipers. Now pick a carbon tube with a slightly larger inside diameter. Epoxy a short piece of the rod into the carbon tube at each end and your done.

Same thing goes for 2-56 setups but I dont have any 2-56 to measure. Id bet you can Google it and find out

If your using carbon rods instead of tubes the procedure is a little different. I use a short piece of heat shrink tubing to hold the rod rods together with epoxy. Smear some exoxy on the rods where they join, slide some heat shrink over the joint and shrink. Then wait for the cure. You can also use thread or braided fishing line and wrap the joint.

However, I dont like rods as much as tubes. For the same weight, tubes are stiffer.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Azarr
Electric Junkie

I saw in your other post that you're building the FF Freestyle. For a plane that size weight is critical. For pushrods I use a 1.5mm carbon rod with .032 music wire on each end. On the surface control horn I use a simple Z bend and on the servo side I use a straight wire with Dubro mini ez connectors which make adjustments simple. The wire is can be joined to the wire with heat shrink or wrapped with thread and glued (I prefer the wrapped method) I use small plastic cable ties, with the center punched out as guides to stop any flexing.

Azarr
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zip tie pushrod guide.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	148356   Click image for larger version

Name:	zip tie pushrod guide 2.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	148357  
Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Azarr is correct about using carbon rods and small diameter wire where weight is critical.

The method I talked about above is strictly for larger models. On small stuff you dont use adjustable clevises. They are too heavy.

If you're just getting into small, light foamies you might be like me when I started out.

You dont think its THAT much too much weight just for some 4-40 rod and a few clevises and larger tubes.

It is.

The plane will NOT fly the way its designed to fly unless you keep the weight down.

Trust me on this. Been there done that
Old 05-14-2011, 07:45 PM
HeliScRapYard
Foam Junkie

if you use 2-56 rod 3mm CF tube is what you need. the 2-56 rods fit inside the 3mm Tubes. I just add a bit of CA, and BAM!
Old 05-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Hoot48
Noob old fart

Thanks so much guys...

I am building Fancyfoam freestyle 34 epp foamy

The recommend certain components...

But am leaning toward tube and wire...With z bend at horn and dubro mini connects as per Azarr recommendation ...And will try to keep weightntoma min

Thanks again

Hoot