HiTec X4 Charger - At Field Power Source...Ideas ? - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

HiTec X4 Charger - At Field Power Source...Ideas ?

Old 05-18-2011, 04:00 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Cole Mayfield View Post
Hey Guys...

I stopped off at my local O' Reilly Auto Parts today after school and told the guy what I was looking for and told me this was the battery I was looking for...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=24dcmj

It weighs quite a bit, but I am going to by a Plastic Carrying Case for it and it is not that far of a walk from the Parking Lot to the Pit Tables at the field...I plan on buying it, as long as you guys approve it will work properly for those big 6S Packs I'm charging... I also charge 3S 2200mah packs and stuff like that but the 6S are the biggest I charge...

Battery Price: $ 77.99
Core Price: $ 12.00

Grand Total: 98.07

What do you guys think of this battery..???

Thanks Again,

CM
These batteries are "Engine Starting" types, similar to the Walmart battery I bought that lasted one flying season. What's needed is a deep cycle battery without the "Engine Starting" ID. They can be hard to find. And they are danged heavy!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Generator, Generator, Generator! Even a deep cycle RV battery (what you want) will likely only last a few years. I have a electric gate at the house - and if I get 3 years out of a deep cycle RV battery I am happy. They are expensive, very expensive ($250 and up).

Did I mention generators work well?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Generator, Generator, Generator! Even a deep cycle RV battery (what you want) will likely only last a few years. I have a electric gate at the house - and if I get 3 years out of a deep cycle RV battery I am happy. They are expensive, very expensive ($250 and up).

Did I mention generators work well?
Yup
Next time I've got to replace one of those 12 Volt Deep cycle batteries, the funds are going to purchase an automotive alternator to hook up to an extra 3.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton Engine, and a small Lead acid garden tractor type battery. The pair will likely cost less than a new deep cycle battery.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hey Guys...

I stopped off at my local O' Reilly Auto Parts today after school and told the guy what I was looking for and told me this was the battery I was looking for...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=24dcmj

It weighs quite a bit, but I am going to by a Plastic Carrying Case for it and it is not that far of a walk from the Parking Lot to the Pit Tables at the field...I plan on buying it, as long as you guys approve it will work properly for those big 6S Packs I'm charging... I also charge 3S 2200mah packs and stuff like that but the 6S are the biggest I charge...

Battery Price: $ 77.99
Core Price: $ 12.00

Grand Total: 98.07

What do you guys think of this battery..???

Thanks Again,

CM
Thats a Perfect battery get a 10 amp battery charger, and charge the deep cycle battery at the flying field, while your charging your flight batteries, you should be able to fly all day that way, and not worry about the deep cycle battery going low on you, also buy a light weight dolly to carry the battery with or a wagon, Chellie

Only use the flight pack battery charger when connected to the deep cycle battery and car battery charger, dont use the car battery charger alone to charge the flight packs with, the flight pack battery charger could get damaged.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0360&ppt=C0005

Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

battery carring dolly

http://www.harborfreight.com/folding...art-97850.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/110-lb-...uck-55663.html

Old 05-18-2011, 12:58 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Yup
Next time I've got to replace one of those 12 Volt Deep cycle batteries, the funds are going to purchase an automotive alternator to hook up to an extra 3.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton Engine, and a small Lead acid garden tractor type battery. The pair will likely cost less than a new deep cycle battery.
Yes the Deep cycle non starting batteries are expensive, your doing the right thing by adding a charger to help it out, thats the same thing i suggested to Cole Mayfield, is to use a charger to help the deep cycle battery out, in fact, doing it this way, he really does not need to use a Deep cycle battery, he can use a car battery, but they cost about the same, and he might get a little extra capacity out of a deep cycle battery. Take care, Chellie
Old 05-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Cole Mayfield
Fresno Radio Modelers

CHELLIE: Thanks for the idea of running a charger with the battery... Never though of doing that... That would definitely have enough juice to help me run it out there... Thanks Again...

CM
Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

CHELLIE: Thanks for the idea of running a charger with the battery... Never though of doing that... That would definitely have enough juice to help me run it out there... Thanks Again...

CM

I've done that many times, with a 10 Ampere charger from Sears, and a 20 Ampere Hour battery. That works well with a Lipo/A123 charger for recharging a 6S2P 4000 milliampere hour A123 pack.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

CM
We are All glad to help out here on Wattflyers Take care and have fun, Chellie