Flying in parks and school yards !!! LAW - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Flying in parks and school yards !!! LAW

Old 12-11-2014, 01:05 AM
flyvemaskin
flyvemaskin

Well, we have a cabin in the mountains of New Mexico, elevation about 7.500 feet, population 190 people, an unincorporated community, no laws or regualtions. I live here for a reason, no home owner's associations, no city ordenses what so ever. I can fly anywhere I want, except on private property. A few of us have a field we fly glow off of, and I fly electrics, micros off a church parking lot any day but sunday. Love it/
Old 12-11-2014, 03:20 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

If the FAA has their way, and the idiots flying FPV and UAV's keep doing what they are doing, RC planes will be illegal before long. There is a big push to ban the hobby.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:30 AM
flyvemaskin
flyvemaskin

Well, where I live they won't find me
Old 12-11-2014, 03:36 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
If the FAA has their way, and the idiots flying FPV and UAV's keep doing what they are doing, RC planes will be illegal before long. There is a big push to ban the hobby.
Yeah, word has it that at our local airport this past year, a full sized passenger jet had to go-around because of a FPV in the flight path. The local police department introduced themselves to the bone headed idiot pilot.

FYI, ALL RC flying is banned in this subdivision, because of the subdivisions location in respect to the airports active runways.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:57 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I don't fly in USA or Canada ... but ..............
I am one of a group discussing use of a facility In Latvia to fly RC .. and the main point is not how many models, not how large are they, not if they are electric or fuel.
It is liability and Insurance cover. And injury was not the concern - it was property damage !
I reckon Insurance is same the world over ...
Having been a SMAE person many years ago - one of the concerns was accidents and Insurance Co's known habit of wriggling out of claims. They are masters at finding the 'out' of incidents.
So I submit : If you are flying a location that there is no permission or even question about possibility to fly - Insurance will leave you holding the bag ...
Very nice piece of paper in your hand - till the day they catch you out and YOU pay.
Many clubs issued Insurance as part of the fees .. or we took out insurance through recognised channels. All had clauses and it was known that quite often people were unknowingly flying outside of them. Many didn't realise that Club stated flying hours can affect coverage, as example. Not flying at club designated site ... the list goes on.
Just commenting ...
Nigel
Old 12-12-2014, 05:13 PM
jeholliday

Thanks guys for all the info even though I'm here in the middle of the good ole USA. My local flyer, Control Line is now on our third field for flying CL planes. It is an area well away from population and from the looks of it was considered for Soccer fields. I well approach him about maybe some how getting a youth program started. I have tons of planes CL for training and a couple of RC planes. Even though we would like to keep it CL mainly, I don't think he would complain if only a couple of RC planes were flown when we weren't flying CL.