Who is flying Transmitter Ready TX-R Planes? What radio do you use? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!
View Poll Results: What Radio do you use to fly TX-R Planes?
Tactic Radio
12.50%
Hitec Radio (no Anylink)
6.25%
Hitec Radio with Anylink or Anylink 2
6.25%
Airtronics with Anylink or Anylink 2
0%
Futaba with Anylink or Anylink 2
18.75%
Spektrum with Anylink or Anylink 2
0%
Taranis with Anylink or Anylink 2
0%
JR with Anylink or Anylink 2
6.25%
Another Brand Radio with Anylink or Anylink 2
0%
I don't fly TX-R Planes
56.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Who is flying Transmitter Ready TX-R Planes? What radio do you use?

Old 02-16-2015, 05:31 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool Who is flying Transmitter Ready TX-R Planes? What radio do you use?

Do you fly TX-R planes? If so, what radio are you using?

For those who don't know, TX-R planes, transmitter ready, are similar package ideas to the Horizon Hobby BnF, bind and fly. BnF only works with Spektrum radios. TX-R can be flown with almost any radio.

I see a ton of chatter about the Horizon Hobby BnF planes. I think Horizon has done a great job promoting that line and it has helped to fuel the sale of Spektrum radios.

However there is a growing world of TX-R planes and I don't see as much chatter about them. I was wondering who is flying them and what radio you are using to fly them.

Hitec has now introduced SLT into their radios so they can fly all the TX-R planes without the need for an AnyLink module.

Clearly you can use the Tactic radios. They look like great values.

And you can use the AnyLink and AnyLink 2 to fly them with many radios.

So, I was wondering how popular the TX-R planes are and what radios people are using to fly them.

Also interested in what TX-R planes you fly and how you like them.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:39 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I fly gliders most of the time so my electric airplanes only get occasional air time.

I have a Futaba Radio and the original AnyLink. I have the Albatros Biplane TX-R which I have enjoyed very much.

How about you?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:03 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I fly the Albatros in a large cul-de-sac in front of my house. I live in a privately owned area so it is not a public street. It flys great, good to keep your thumbs and brain loose enough to fly properly.

I use one of my JR 9303's

I have a friend with several of the TX-R planes.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:05 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Hummm, not a lot of activity on this poll or this thread. Should I conclude that the TX-R planes are not very popular? From the popularity of the Horizon Hobby BnF planes and the easy availability of the AnyLink to make the TX-R planes work with almost any radio, I am very surprised.

Is there a problem with the TX-R planes?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:14 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Limited capability of the TXs that are "native" to the TX-R (Anylink) system

And an aversion to adding the potential failure point of the interface between some other TX and the Anylink device plus that device's built in limitations being imposed on the higher end radio its being plugged into.

I'd just pull the RX out and drop in one that is compatible with my TX before using the Anylink... and thus I see no benefit of the TX-R to justify the added cost vs a RX-ready airplane.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:08 PM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Limited capability of the TXs that are "native" to the TX-R (Anylink) system

And an aversion to adding the potential failure point of the interface between some other TX and the Anylink device plus that device's built in limitations being imposed on the higher end radio its being plugged into.

I'd just pull the RX out and drop in one that is compatible with my TX before using the Anylink... and thus I see no benefit of the TX-R to justify the added cost vs a RX-ready airplane.
I agree. I can't be bothered with the AnyLink, if it even works with the 9xr, just more to fumble around with. I could never go for the micros offered by Flyzone, and I only go for receiver ready, not transmitter ready.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Interesting comments. I know people who have the Anylink permanently mounted on their radios. Plug it in and go fly.

But each to his own. Clearly the TX-R planes are not as popular as I expected them to be.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:07 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

The planes were not very impressive IMHO and add to that the SLT hassle factor they have been off for me. BNF from Horizon have been just the opposite. Hobbico was again too late to market and subjected them to follower role.

Mike