Hyperion Cub 10e Build - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Hyperion Cub 10e Build

Old 10-01-2006, 10:22 PM
QuietRCFly

Here is what I have left to complete the build:

Install receiver (Berg 7p) and connect all the wires from servos and ESC.

Install the wing and landing gear struts.

Add decals.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Superstar

Really enjoying this build, showing just what I wanted to know. Looking forward to seeing how the model flies.

If I was to go for an Axi rather than the Hyperion Z2213-20, which would you go for?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:52 AM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Really enjoying this build, showing just what I wanted to know. Looking forward to seeing how the model flies.

If I was to go for an Axi rather than the Hyperion Z2213-20, which would you go for?
Thanks!

Alternative power sources:

AXI 2212/20 or another 2212 series motor. Hobby-Lobby has the silver series of this motor on sale, but I don't know when it ends.

Hacker A20-20L (on sale this week on our website, sorry for the ad!)

You can also use a stick mount for a motor with a gearbox, but I have no specific recommendations there.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:50 AM
Twmaster

That is shaping up very nicely. I am assuming the cowl gets decals for the cylinder heads?

One thing I have noticed with several Cub ARFs is that the tires appear to be waaaaay too small in relation to the full scale tires in comparison to the airframe.

DO you have a AUW yet?
Old 10-02-2006, 04:52 AM
Twmaster

Originally Posted by QuietRCFly View Post
Thanks!

Alternative power sources:

AXI 2212/20 or another 2212 series motor. Hobby-Lobby has the silver series of this motor on sale, but I don't know when it ends.

Hacker A20-20L (on sale this week on our website, sorry for the ad!)

You can also use a stick mount for a motor with a gearbox, but I have no specific recommendations there.
Just an FYI, the E-Flite 400-920 outrunner is identical in size, mounting and power ratings to the AXi 2212/26 Gold.

Since I have a couple of these motors in my spares box this Cub might be the ticket.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:31 AM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
That is shaping up very nicely. I am assuming the cowl gets decals for the cylinder heads?
That is correct.

DO you have a AUW yet?
Not yet. I will try to get that for you as soon as I can.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:32 AM
QuietRCFly

Just an FYI, the E-Flite 400-920 outrunner is identical in size, mounting and power ratings to the AXi 2212/26 Gold.

Since I have a couple of these motors in my spares box this Cub might be the ticket.
I have no experience with the E-Flite motors, but if its the same size, I'm sure it would work out just fine.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:35 AM
QuietRCFly

I did not get any more done today. Since we have Boy Scouts tomorrow night, I don't expect to get much done then either. Hopefully I can get it done Tuesday/Wednesday night and I will try to post final pics Wednesday or Thursday.

Last edited by QuietRCFly; 10-02-2006 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-02-2006, 06:51 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Looks like a very nice kit and build. Did I miss the link to the kit or the price in here someplace?

Had I know about this one, I think it would have been a no-brainer versus my greenrc cub.

Nice thread!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:05 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
Looks like a very nice kit and build. Did I miss the link to the kit or the price in here someplace?

Had I know about this one, I think it would have been a no-brainer versus my greenrc cub.

Nice thread!
Thanks!

The kit is $99.95
http://www.quietrcflying.com/Product...ctid=HP-CUB-10

The kit with the power set is $194.95
http://www.quietrcflying.com/Product...id=HP-CUB10-PS

I used the kit that included the power set, but as listed above, you could use any number of motors. We also carry the Hacker A20-20L that would also work and is roughly equivalent to the Hyperion motor.

Also, we have a deal for first time customers where you can save 10% on your first order. Details are on our homepage: http://www.quietrcflying.com

Thanks again!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:11 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Thanks. Going to be watching this one!!

Andy
Old 10-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Tintin

Could this Cub be fitted with floats?

In case, what size floats would be suitable?

Can that stand be bought somewhere?

Last edited by Tintin; 10-04-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:59 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Could this Cub be fitted with floats?

In case, what size floats would be suitable?

Can that stand be bought somewhere?
I would think you could add floats, but Hyperion has not designed for this plane. They also have a sililarly sized Cessna coming out. It would be great if they produced floats to work with them both.

You would need to find floats for a .10 size plane. I did a quick search and could not find any. The GWS floats might work, but I think they are meant for even smaller planes, like the E-Starter and Beaver.

If you find any .10 sized floats let me know. I would be interested.

Regarding the stand. I purchased it at the NW Hobby Expo a couple years ago from a guy in the swap meet area who builds them himself. It really is a great stand and the width is adjustable in the front, so you can use it for different sizes of planes or to hold the fuse in different spots. If I recall there is a sticker on it with his name and phone. I will check tonight when I get home and will also look to see if he has a website. He had all different sizes and I think he even had flight boxes.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Tintin

Great.
I've been told the real Cubs with floats use rather large floats. If I find something that fits I'll let you know. I've had a tip on the Estarter floats.
I'm thinking of skis too as I have a nice field to fly off in the winter but don't know what size to use here either.

If you could find a link to the guy with the stand I'd appriciate it.
If not, if you could give me some decent pictures and measurements I could have my father make one, he's more into carpenting then me.

Guess these are too small too.
http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3475

Last edited by Tintin; 10-04-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:51 AM
QuietRCFly

Guess these are too small too.
http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3475
Actually the #1808 floats would probably work, but I don't think the gear would work. It look like it is designed for a profile type plane, but you could probably make your own gear with some piano wire. You would have to figure out how to attach in the back as well. This plane was not designed with that potential in mind, so there is not gear mount in the back.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:02 AM
QuietRCFly

If you could find a link to the guy with the stand I'd appriciate it.
If not, if you could give me some decent pictures and measurements I could have my father make one, he's more into carpenting then me.
I spoke with the gentleman about his fuselage holders on the phone. It does not sound like he makes much any more, but has the parts for one it sounds like. He is an older genleman and he does not have a website. And is is probably unlikely he takes credit cards, PayPal or will ship internationaly, if he ships at all. I can PM his phone if you are interested. He is located in Everett, WA. Otherwise, I can probably take some measurements for you this weekend.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Tintin

If I cannot pay him fairly easy it would be simpler if you could supply me with a couple of pics and some measurements. My 80 year old father doesn't mind helping out and he probabbly has suitable materials in his workshop. Really would appriciate that.
I'm getting the Cub today or tomorrow so I'll see if I can get any ideas as to how to mount the floats.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:37 PM
QuietRCFly

I hope to finish up tonight, so I will try to post the final pics today or tomorrow. I think there is good weather for Saturday in the Seattle area, so we may be able to do the maiden.

A couple notes:

I got the ESC programed using the Hyperion Titan ESC PC Programming cable (with the USB adapter). I was suprised to find it was set up for NiCad/NiMH, as I expected it to be set for a 3 Cell Lipo. You can adjust the voltage cut off to as high as 3.1V per cell. I went with 3V. I felt it important to set the cutoff, as I have heard others say the default from the factory for the Hyperion ESC's is 2.8V, which most agree is too low.

Also, if you are using a smaller reciever, like the Berg 7P, like me, the Hyperion Standard Servo Extension may be too thick to use. I had difficulty attaching the servo extensions from the aileron servo, especially into channel 5 for the left aileron. I may have to file it or see if my generic servo extensions will work better. I will order some of the Hyperion Light Servo Extensions for the shop, as I believe they are better for this situation. I don't believe you would have a problem with an Electron 6 or other larger receiver.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:39 PM
QuietRCFly

If I cannot pay him fairly easy it would be simpler if you could supply me with a couple of pics and some measurements. My 80 year old father doesn't mind helping out and he probabbly has suitable materials in his workshop. Really would appriciate that.
I'm getting the Cub today or tomorrow so I'll see if I can get any ideas as to how to mount the floats.
I will do that for you this weekend. PM or send me you email address via email and I will send them when I have a chance.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Cessna on floats

Originally Posted by QuietRCFly View Post
They also have a sililarly sized Cessna coming out. It would be great if they produced floats to work with them both.
Hello

Do you know when this Cessna would be released ?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:00 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Cessna on floats View Post
Hello

Do you know when this Cessna would be released ?
David Radford, of Hyperion and Aircraft World, said probably the end of November. I'm not sure if that was the date they ship to the distributors, or the date expected at the distributors. It would be nice to have them in stock for Christmas.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:56 AM
QuietRCFly

Here is a picture of the wing and gear struts. The wing struts screw in easily.

The gear struts are attached with a little plastic U shaped piece ahd CA glue.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:01 AM
QuietRCFly

Here are some pics of the completed plane and decals. Sorry, a couple are a little blury.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:02 AM
QuietRCFly

And my personal favorite.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:05 AM
QuietRCFly

If the weather is better tomorrow, as expected we will try to do the maiden. I will take some more pictures and report back tomorrow or Sunday.

I will also get the AUW tomorrow as well with an without the battery, so you can add the weight of your battery to get a final weight.

Quick Reply: Hyperion Cub 10e Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10371 seconds with 13 queries