Hyperion Cub 10e Build - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Hyperion Cub 10e Build

Old 10-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Tannen45

Originally Posted by ozzybear View Post
This is the first "wooden" ARF I have built and was quite dissapointed given Hyperion's excellent reputation. In particular-

1) Poor covering - many wrinkles and loose covering.
2) Contol wire too small in diameter compared to the hole diameter of the supplied horns - creates control slack. I used proper sized snap links the and cyanoed the supplied wire to the links after cutting off the z bends and bending on itself.
3) The rudder and elevator screws are too long and no safety back plate is supplied. I discarded them and used horns with bolts and backplates for security reasons.
4) Only 2, not 4 wheel collets supplied.
5) One servo mounting back support piece fell off whilst light trimming to size.
6) Wing mounting holes out by about 2-3 mm.
7) No mention of dihedral brace to be fitted one way only. May cause beginner to glue up wing incorrectly. Also obsure that epoxy is needed on brace as well as ribs.
8) No mention of air cooling entry and exit holes.
9) Battery hatch too long to fit nicely.
10) I will think of no 10 later!!!!

But it did fly straigth and true with no vices obvious on first flight.

I'm also disappointed with this cub for all the reasons stated by ozzybear, but I did not even get it off the ground!

ROG from the road, no right thrust in the motor mount caused the plane to vear left straight into the gutter.

This smashed the cowl and ripped the (weak) motor mount from the fuselage.

Now I find out Hyperion doesn't even stock replacement cowls for this plane!

Wish I got the World Models version instead.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Tannen45

A couple more to add to the list of problems -

- I spent an hour delicately putting the decals on and still ended up with many wrinkles/bubbles.
- Weight came out MUCH heavier than specified even using all recommended parts.
- Battery hatch was missing the magnet to attach to the fuselage.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:10 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Tannen45 View Post

Hyperion does make spare cowls. I just received them and will get them up on our website later today.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:01 PM
QuietRCFly

1) Poor covering - many wrinkles and loose covering.
Yes I noticed this as well on the tail pieces in particular, but a heat helped considerably.

3) The rudder and elevator screws are too long and no safety back plate is supplied. I discarded them and used horns with bolts and backplates for security reasons.
I noted that as well. I like your solution better, but I just left it as is.

4) Only 2, not 4 wheel collets supplied.
The kits from the US distributor had an extra pack of wheel collets, apparently realizing the problem. At first I had the same problem, but found the packet in the box.

6) Wing mounting holes out by about 2-3 mm.
I did not experience that problem. I felt it had a good tight fit.

7) No mention of dihedral brace to be fitted one way only. May cause beginner to glue up wing incorrectly. Also obsure that epoxy is needed on brace as well as ribs.
I see you are right on that note as well, I guess since I knew what to look for, so I did not even think about it, but good point.

8) No mention of air cooling entry and exit holes.
I don't think this is a problem when flying as a Cub is intended, but if you want to go all out and perform aerobatics, it may be a good idea. With the recommended power set, prop and battery you shouldn't be pushing the limits of ESC or battery.

9) Battery hatch too long to fit nicely.
It was snug, but helps to keep it on during flight.

Last edited by QuietRCFly; 10-16-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:03 PM
QuietRCFly

Yes - Number 10) Matt grey corrosion product on one wheel leg.
I definately did not have that.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Tannen45

Originally Posted by QuietRCFly View Post
Hyperion does make spare cowls. I just received them and will get them up on our website later today.

Thanks Chris,

I emailed Aircraft-World.com a few weeks back and the reply was that they did not have any and didn't know when they would.

I'm sorry about my negative posts. I guess the fact that I smashed the plane on maiden (probably my fault) sullied my opinion of this plane.

To be fair, up until that point I was extremely happy with how it looked and went together as my first non foam ARF.

Since then I've gone back to foam, flying an E-Starter, Parkzone FW-190 and Stryker.

Today I plan to maiden my Hyperion Super Chipmunk 10E, which is by far the best model I own. Very high quality.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 AM
QuietRCFly

Thanks Chris,

I emailed Aircraft-World.com a few weeks back and the reply was that they did not have any and didn't know when they would.

I'm sorry about my negative posts. I guess the fact that I smashed the plane on maiden (probably my fault) sullied my opinion of this plane.

To be fair, up until that point I was extremely happy with how it looked and went together as my first non foam ARF.

Since then I've gone back to foam, flying an E-Starter, Parkzone FW-190 and Stryker.

Today I plan to maiden my Hyperion Super Chipmunk 10E, which is by far the best model I own. Very high quality.
No problem. The E-Starter was my first plane and I enjoyed it. It probably weighed twice as much as when I started from all the epoxy from my repairs!

Let me know how the Chipmunk flies. I have had people ask about it, but I have not yet tried it and there have been very few posts regarding the plane and how it flies. Did it go together well? Did you like the quality better than the Cub?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Tannen45

I don't want to hijack this thread but I flew the Hyperion Chipmunk today and I loved it!

The plane flew with such authority and it was faster than I expected. Quite a bit faster than the Parkzone FW-190.

The build quality is superb. Everything went together perfectly.

One thing I found out though is that landing these balsa planes requires a lot more delicacy than landing foam models.

I was coming in a little hot and instead of going around again I decided to land it and the wheels hit pretty hard causing the right spat to break in half and rip a hole in the covering in the underside of the wing. See photo.

Easily repairable though.

Bad habits caused by flying foam where if it hits the ground right side up, its a good landing.

Overall though I'm very impressed with the chipmunk and it's quality is a cut above the Piper Cub, (especially in its current state!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 019.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	18133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 022.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	18134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 027.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	18135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 028.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	18136  
Old 10-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Cessna on floats

Hello

I have a smashed hyperion Cub, and i have experienced the same as Tannen45. The plane turned uncontrolled left when adding power. Suddenly when I was in the air, the plane started "flapping" and when down and are now just memories. A real beautiful plane is it anyway.

I have also build and flown the Chipmunk 10e from Hyperion. Had the maiden yesterday. It is a real great plane. Flies like an angel. One problem is that when taxi on the ground, you need to hold full up elevator. Otherwise it will turn forward and the nose will hit the ground
To avoid this I bought 2 1/4 inch foam light wheels and pressed the landing gear a little forward. No I think this will be great. I will not use the wheel cowering.

The plane are very sensitive, so it is important to have small turns on the rudder, elevator and ailron.

But one thing is for shure, It is a beautiful plane and flies with class
Old 10-16-2006, 08:45 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Cessna on floats View Post

I have a smashed hyperion Cub, and i have experienced the same as Tannen45. The plane turned uncontrolled left when adding power. Suddenly when I was in the air, the plane started "flapping" and when down and are now just memories. A real beautiful plane is it anyway.
Did you have the stock power system or something different? Just wondering if you guys are overpowering the Cub. Also, when you say flapping, what do you mean? Do you think is was the plane, or did you get shot down maybe by something interfering with your receiver?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Cessna on floats

Did you have the stock power system or something different? Just wondering if you guys are overpowering the Cub. Also, when you say flapping, what do you mean? Do you think is was the plane, or did you get shot down maybe by something interfering with your receiver?
Hi Chris.
I used the Hyperion 2213/20 and the LVX 3S 1500 mah pack, a Apc 9x6 E prop. I had a lot of trouble with the plane. First I had not balanced properly, so it was a little tail heavy. After balanced the plane it flew ok. When adding yhrust under take off, it "jawed" left. What really happened when it crashed I really don't know. I was quit high up in the air, and was slowing down the power to see the planes stall tendensy. When I lost the lify, I added power and suddenly the plane "flikk flakk" right and left and went down. I had no change to get it stright again. What the reason was I really don't know?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:01 AM
QuietRCFly

Hi Chris.
I used the Hyperion 2213/20 and the LVX 3S 1500 mah pack, a Apc 9x6 E prop. I had a lot of trouble with the plane. First I had not balanced properly, so it was a little tail heavy. After balanced the plane it flew ok. When adding yhrust under take off, it "jawed" left. What really happened when it crashed I really don't know. I was quit high up in the air, and was slowing down the power to see the planes stall tendensy. When I lost the lify, I added power and suddenly the plane "flikk flakk" right and left and went down. I had no change to get it stright again. What the reason was I really don't know?
You probably already saw, but it balance much better for me with the heavier 2100 pack. Gives extra flight time as well. Sorry to hear about the troubles. I would say maybe you got hit with interference or the if the covering was loose, but it sounds like it was too damaged to know for sure.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Cessna on floats

You probably already saw, but it balance much better for me with the heavier 2100 pack. Gives extra flight time as well. Sorry to hear about the troubles. I would say maybe you got hit with interference or the if the covering was loose, but it sounds like it was too damaged to know for sure.
Hi Chris. I am actually wondering if the cowling could make the trouble I had. It was broken (it is not a flexible one) and may be it could cause the trouble... og something "hit" the receiver....
But one question. On the Chipmunk I use the LVX 3s 1500mah. I can se the LVX 2100 mah is recommended.. But as I can see the dimensions for the 2100 is 40*121*18 and it's weight 174grams. Hyperion also have the LVX 2200 wich dimensions are 34*108*24,5 and weight 143grams. I also see that there are a LVX 2500mah dimensions 40*121*20 and weight 203 grams.

What are your rec. on theese questions Chris?
1) Is it better to choose the 2200mah (same weight, smaller dimensions)?
2) Would the 2500mah be to heavy (same dimensions 2100mah, but heavier) ?

Hope for good advise
Old 10-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Tintin

Do you guys think these will be ok for the cub?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDCT4&P=7

Do I need a tail ski?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:31 AM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Do you guys think these will be ok for the cub?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDCT4&P=7

Do I need a tail ski?
I think they would work out fine. Your probably would need a ski tail, so you don' drag the rudder in the snow, unless it is really icy so the skid does not submerge in the snow. I should order some for the shop!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:13 AM
QuietRCFly

Hi Chris. I am actually wondering if the cowling could make the trouble I had. It was broken (it is not a flexible one) and may be it could cause the trouble... og something "hit" the receiver....
But one question. On the Chipmunk I use the LVX 3s 1500mah. I can se the LVX 2100 mah is recommended.. But as I can see the dimensions for the 2100 is 40*121*18 and it's weight 174grams. Hyperion also have the LVX 2200 wich dimensions are 34*108*24,5 and weight 143grams. I also see that there are a LVX 2500mah dimensions 40*121*20 and weight 203 grams.

What are your rec. on theese questions Chris?
1) Is it better to choose the 2200mah (same weight, smaller dimensions)?
2) Would the 2500mah be to heavy (same dimensions 2100mah, but heavier) ?

Hope for good advise
I would probably go with the 2200 over the 2500 since it is lighter. I don't think the increase hight will be a problem unless it is a tight fit.

Why don't you want to use the 1500? It would probably give you he best performance, but at a reduced flight time.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Tintin

Thanks, I'll have to order an extra pair then as the single skis out that I've found is all just for larger planes.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Cessna on floats

I would probably go with the 2200 over the 2500 since it is lighter. I don't think the increase hight will be a problem unless it is a tight fit.

Why don't you want to use the 1500? It would probably give you he best performance, but at a reduced flight time.

Hope that helps.
I had to use 65 grams of weight in the front of the plane to get it ballanced. So the total weight are already there..... When the extra weight had to be added so much in front of the plane, it "nose tip" easily when taxi and landing.. To avoid this may be it would be better to put a heavier battery inside. That is the only reason....

Gisle
Old 10-18-2006, 10:55 AM
ozzybear

I'm also disappointed with this cub for all the reasons stated by ozzybear, but I did not even get it off the ground!

ROG from the road, no right thrust in the motor mount caused the plane to vear left straight into the gutter.

Wish I got the World Models version instead.
Forgot to mention that the supplied wheels needed to be drilled out for free rotation. Wheel striction may be cause of ROG problems and this together with small diameter and grass surface will not help. In any case for the maiden I used 65 mm wheels yet a World Models Cub ROGs from same site with original wheels that look even smaller diameter than those supplied with the Hyperion Cub kit.

The bigger wheels certainly increased drag so i will be trying out the original wheels next time out.

I am using a 120 watt input set up using 9 x 6 E with standard engine mount and did not notice any motor torque effects on ROG.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:06 AM
ozzybear

According to my dealer the rudder and elevator horns should have been suppiled with safety back plates hence the the long screws suppiled are the correct length. For safety reasons it would be wise to make up a couple of safety plates from ply and simulteanously hide the unsightly protuding screws.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:22 AM
ozzybear

Hi Chris.
"Flikk flakk"sounds very much like lost/weak signal causing servo jitter. Trust your range check was OK and you were within TX/RX range?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:24 AM
QuietRCFly

Forgot to mention that the supplied wheels needed to be drilled out for free rotation.
Mine rotated freely out of the box. But if that is the case with some of the kits, that could be a problem with ROG.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:41 AM
stents3

Hi guys I don't know if this thread is over or not,but I thought I would just jump in again. I agree with most of the negative input about the Cub. Hyperion is known for producing qaulity kits,so I was a little disapointed with this kit. So far I've built about ten ARF electrics since I got back into the hobby,and honestly this was not one of the best. The issue of severe torgue roll to the left(see my previous post) was corrected with 2 deg. of right thrust and a new motor set-up(stick mounted out runner,geared 3 to 1 rated at 160 watts) . I was able to get in a few flights last weekend and it went perfect. Nice flying,and looks great in the air. Unfortunately I cracked the cowl when the wheels cought some high grass on landing and she nosed over. That's another thing,it's one thing to build light and another when it's flimsy. Would have appreciated a fiberglass cowl rather then the thin plastic one as supplied. Reminded me of the cowl on the Goldberg Electric Chipmunk, which was even thinner.That one would crack if you looked at it to hard. Just thought I'd throw this in for what it's worth. On a positive note, everyone should own a Piper Cub once in there life(one of the all time classics). And if you can look past the short comings of the kit,this one is a beauty.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:25 AM
ozzybear

I replaced the larger wheels with the standard ones and the cub ROG'd off medium grass OK. It flew very well on 6 x 4.5 E prop at 60 % rates using a "400" type brushless 1270 kv motor on 8 cells.

Just for interest - I recently broke the fuz of another high wing model due to severe left roll on a plane that normally ROGs very well. Almost certainly that was due to premature up elevator at too low an air speed upon ROG.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:45 AM
QuietRCFly

Just for interest - I recently broke the fuz of another high wing model due to severe left roll on a plane that normally ROGs very well. Almost certainly that was due to premature up elevator at too low an air speed upon ROG.
While this is my first Cub, I have been told that is a common problem with Scale Cubs in particular. While I did not experience the torque problem, this could be the reason. Now that being said, these kits, from the US distributor anyway, were actually held when they arrived awaiting new rear tail pieces (horizontal and verticle stabilizers) that were supposed to help with that problem, though probably making them a little less scale. Incidently, I think it is these are the pieces that had the worst covering issues, probably because they were rushed out as replacements. While I believe all of the US kits got the new parts to make them easier to fly, I can't gurantee it and I don't know if any kits were distributed in the US or elsewhere before the change was made. So please make sure you do have enough airspeed before you pull up in case this is the problem.

Quick Reply: Hyperion Cub 10e Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10446 seconds with 16 queries