Hyperion Cub 10e Build - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Hyperion Cub 10e Build

Old 10-26-2006, 06:36 AM
QuietRCFly

Default Cub Sale for Wattflyer Members

I have only 3 of the Hyperion Cub 10e's left in stock. Two with the powerset and one without. The retail price is $99.95 for the ARF and $194.95 for the ARF with the Hyperion power set.

For all of you have followed this thread, you can purchase these last three kits at a 15% discount. If you have been on the fence about making a purchase, now is your chance. First come, first serve. Just enter the discount code, wattcub , at checkout. This discount only applies to the Hyperion Cub kits, not your entire order. Please make sure the Cub kit is in your cart before entering the promotional code. This offer is limited to stock on hand and can not be combined with other promotional code offers.

Shipping is free for order of $150 or more within the US.

Offer Expires October 31st.

Last edited by QuietRCFly; 10-30-2006 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:14 PM
stents3

Hi guys I just read the posts about the ROG problem and if I remember back at the first maiden flight it could have very well been the fact I may have pulled up to early without enough ground speed. The problem I have where I fly at(school grounds)is the grass is to high and rough for take off. So I fly off of the baseball diamond,which gives me limited space. It has'nt been a problem with the Ultrafly Ultimate Bipe or the PA Katana Mini,but I should have realized the Cub needed a little more take off run so I may have forced it up. Landings are to say the least, exciting. I have to set it down right at the edge of the diamond to give it enough roll out room. I 've had my share of cracked cowls or broken props when then they hit the grass. Another problem,and one that can't be corrected,is if your going to fly on Long Island NY,your going to fly in the wind. On the school grounds I fly at it's sheltered by trees on three sides so it may appear that the wind,if any, is very light. But once you get in the air it'a a different story.Case in point, my last flight last weekend I was able to hang the Cub motionless at about 100 feet up into the wind. Actually it was moving backward at half throttle. It was time to pack it in and save it for anotther day. I hope I did'nt sound to negative on the previous post about the Cub because I do love this thing,easy to fly and looks out standing in the air.Good flying to all,it's just a fun plane to have and fly.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Tintin

I've finally been able to build some on mine and as I'm no expert flyer I really appriciate all the tips that is showing up here before I'll try to maiden mine. Since it can get tailheavy I've tried to reinforce the cowling with some duct tape....we'll see if it works in due time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cowl.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	18480   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	18481  
Old 10-27-2006, 04:17 AM
Smooth Spanky

Tintin:
That's a pretty good idea with the duck tape. I'll have to remember that when I actually get to TOUCH the kit that's been sitting around for way too many weeks

SS
Old 10-27-2006, 04:18 AM
Smooth Spanky

Just read my own note. Made myself laugh..."duck" tape? I must have poultry on the brain!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:30 AM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Smooth Spanky View Post
Just read my own note. Made myself laugh..."duck" tape? I must have poultry on the brain!!!
Quack, Quack!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Tintin

Noticed that but didn't think I'd mention it, didn't have to as it turned out
I think lot's call it duck tape, probably as they've never wondered about the name. I recently saw a modification of the OS50 carb named as the Cataye mod. Some japanese guy had a good idea I thought untill I remembered the name actually comes from the cat eye shaped think you modify...

I got the idea from my GP Flightflex Yak, at times the only thing holding it together is the GF tape inside
Old 11-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Tintin

Well, I'm making slow progress on my Cub but King Winter arrived before I had time to finish so I've unpacked the skis, hope that little bear will like snow but not just dig in for the winter...

Name:	DSC03116.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	18697   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03117.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	18698   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03118.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	18699   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03120.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	18700  
Old 11-01-2006, 11:41 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Well, I'm making slow progress on my Cub but King Winter arrived before I had time to finish so I've unpacked the skis, hope that little bear will like snow but not just dig in for the winter...
I like it! I will order some for the shop! We probably won't get much snow for me to try it out here in Seattle.

Where are you?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:42 PM
QuietRCFly

Dang! I never got you the measurements on that stand. I will try to do that this weekend.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Tintin

Whenever you find the time. I bought a foam stand in the meantime but would love the measurements still as I reckon there might be more planes heading my way during winter..
Old 11-01-2006, 11:55 PM
QuietRCFly

If you like this Cub, I have word that a 25e version is in the works! Hopefully a little better quality as a number of folks have raised some issues with this version, but I really like my 10e Cub. The 25e would be comparable to the E-Flite Cub.

Last edited by QuietRCFly; 11-01-2006 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-02-2006, 12:07 AM
QuietRCFly

Also, the Hyperion Cessna 182 10e should be out at the end of this month or early next. Just in time for Christmas! If it is as originally billed, it will have a fiberglass fuselage and steerable nose wheel. That should be a very nice kit as well. If it is anything like the fiberglass P-51, it will be amazing.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Tintin

I have set my eyes on the Mustang a while back but got in on the preprod Spits. Sadly enough I work far too much these days so the Spit build is going slow. Reckon I'll get both the Mustang and the Cessna. I just hope they make the Cessna so floats kan be fitted.

I must admit my Cub is going to be a trainer to get better at take off and landing, to prepare myself for the Spit and in time the P51, just hope it doesn't die trying
Old 11-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Smooth Spanky

Tintin: I like the skis very much...who makes them?

Everything is going well with my Cub build except for one thing: the covering. I've got wrinkles in several places and I've used my iron and gun to shrink things out with no luck. I'm worried if I apply any more heat I'll start burning things. Anyone have any advice on this?

The only mod I'm planning so far is a streerable tail wheel. If I come up with anything decent I'll post pics.

SS
Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM
QuietRCFly

Tintin: I like the skis very much...who makes them?
I think they are Dubro Skis. I will order some for the online store.

Everything is going well with my Cub build except for one thing: the covering. I've got wrinkles in several places and I've used my iron and gun to shrink things out with no luck. I'm worried if I apply any more heat I'll start burning things. Anyone have any advice on this?
I guess some of these kits are worse than other. I found the fuse and wings fairly easy to fix with the gun, but the tail pieces were more work. I improved them, but still not satisfied. Don't have a real good suggestion, as I did not do a great job of fixing the tail myself, but don't get it too hot as this is low temp covering.

Maybe someone else has a good ideas here???
Old 11-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Tintin

Yep, they are Dubro skis.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:36 AM
ozzybear

Well after 6 good landings my u/c went wobbly and rog impossible! No suprise when the u/c relies on a 9 mm long torque rod in soft balsa!

I installed a 87 x 80 x 3 mm light ply plate epoxied onto the bare frame and rebent the original legs. The rest is self explanatory. Not too pretty but its solid!

Name:	IMG_1539.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	18917  
Old 12-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Tintin

Haven't had the time to maiden yet, to much work, but I have a final question before maiden. How do you guys fasten the battery?
Velcro?
My fingers have a hard time getting into the plane to do anything regarding placement. Do you mount it with the wing off?
Do you charge in the plane?

My overtime made me "invest" in some xmas work, just ordered the new Cessna, hope it'll be here already next week.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:55 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Haven't had the time to maiden yet, to much work, but I have a final question before maiden. How do you guys fasten the battery?
Velcro?
My fingers have a hard time getting into the plane to do anything regarding placement. Do you mount it with the wing off?
Do you charge in the plane?

My overtime made me "invest" in some xmas work, just ordered the new Cessna, hope it'll be here already next week.
I use vecro attached to the battery and a velcro strap typically. In the Cub, the 2100 mAh battery was snug, so I did not use the strap, just velcro on the battery and tray.

Let us know about the Cessna. We should have those in stock later this month in the US. I will try to do a build thread on that one as well.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Tintin

Ok, thanks I'll try that. I'm still working a lot of overtime but I'll make some posts when I get around to building. Bought some floats with it that I hope to be able to fit.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Tintin

Default I think I need a proper trainer...

So, yesterday I found time to maiden both the Cub and the Cessna. Started off with the Cub. Almost impossible to control on the ground, the slightest left or right stick and it would make a full turn.

Might add that this was my first time with a scale plane. So far I've been into helis and I have a GP Flightflex yak which is the only plane I've flown with success. It's not the Cubs first flight. It started off on it's own last week. I had it hanging in the ceiling in my workshop when it decided to dive in nose first. Broke the motorshaft and cracked the motormount as well as some on the wing. Had that all taken care of.

Well, I got my guts up and gave more throttle which of course made the plane more controllable. It took off pretty nicely and I flew a couple of eights. Had a slight problem with the motor it seemed. Couldn't get it to go at a speed I liked. Either too fast or scary slow, remember I'm used to the Yak with huge wingarea which can go pretty slow....so I was going to guide her in when I pulled back a bit too much on the throttle and before I caught what was happening she stalled out and dove in.......broke the motorshaft again, more damage to the wing and smashed up the cowl and the fire wall. Repairable I think but extremely annoying to put it mildly.

Well this kinda took the air out of the "what the heck" feeling I'd started the day with loading the car with a couple of helis and these 2 models to maiden.

Took out the Cessna anyways and taxied around for a while. Everything seemed just fine so I gave her some more speed. She too took of very nicely, no strange tendencies at all, however I put her down again rather quickly before I ran out of runway. It turned sharply upon landing. Taxied it back to myself while holding almost full left. Turned out the shrink wrap used to hold the links for the nose wheel together was not enough. Did a few more go'n touches and the nose wheel got out of alignment everytime so I decided to quit while I was ahead on that bird at least. I'll see if I can get a better way of fastening those links and I'll remove the wheel spat on the nose wheel as it doesn't seem to roll freely even after a lot of work.

In general I've had only 2 small problems with the Cessna, the wheel spats are too shallow so the wheels will rub and not roll freely + the battery tray was a bit short so it would slant downwards towards the nose. If you glue it in this position a 2100 mah battery wont fit between the tray and the nose wheel ling so make sure to glu it in just beneath the motor. The Cessna is a real beauty.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:57 AM
QuietRCFly

Check out this Hyperion Cub 25e that should be out in March.

Name:	Cub-25-BoxLabel.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	23923  
Old 09-27-2007, 02:09 AM
Royster

Question Flight Times?

Can aynone give me some flight times you are getting with the Cub?

and with what LiPo bla bla?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 03:41 PM
ORD2FRA

For anyone that owns this plane, would it be possible to use a 3-cell A123 battery? I have a bunch of parts that need a plane to live in this summer, and I am liking this build.

I would be using a Park 450 motor, Castle Thunderbird 18 ESC, HS-55 servos, and hopefully my A123 cells that powered my Super Cub before it crashed. A123 cells are 3.25 x 2.75 x 1.25, and are a bit heavier than a 2100mah 3S pack, but I am hoping that the more powerful Park 450 and the lower voltage of the A123 cells (9.9v) will make this plane work.

Thanks in advance...

Quick Reply: Hyperion Cub 10e Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16065 seconds with 21 queries