Hyperion Cub 10e Build - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Hyperion Cub 10e Build

Old 03-05-2008, 04:39 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by ORD2FRA View Post
For anyone that owns this plane, would it be possible to use a 3-cell A123 battery? I have a bunch of parts that need a plane to live in this summer, and I am liking this build.

I would be using a Park 450 motor, Castle Thunderbird 18 ESC, HS-55 servos, and hopefully my A123 cells that powered my Super Cub before it crashed. A123 cells are 3.25 x 2.75 x 1.25, and are a bit heavier than a 2100mah 3S pack, but I am hoping that the more powerful Park 450 and the lower voltage of the A123 cells (9.9v) will make this plane work.

Thanks in advance...
I would think it would work just fine. This plane has a light enough wing loading the extra weight should not be a problem at all. I would just try to find a prop combo that get you about 100w/lb if possible. While I am not as familiar with A123 or the Park 450, I would think you could find a combo that works.

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
Old 04-22-2008, 04:06 PM
ORD2FRA

Default My Hyperion build and rebuild

I spent about two weeks, or about 15-20 hours to build the Cub.

Lots of wrinkles in the covering though, I ended up recovering the tail as the covering iron would not get the wrinkles out.

Finished plane. I used landing gear from 3DHobbyShop.com as it was a bit larger than the stock set, also our field can be rough so I wanted the larger clearance. The strut covers are held on by double sided foam tape. Prop is a 9x6e, and motor is an E-Flite Park 450 with a Tbird 18 ESC.

Maiden

Aircraft was way tail heavy. Took off and immediately pointed straight up. I literally could not control it. I balanced the plane right on the peak of the wing, but that was not even close. I would balance within about 3cm of the leading edge.

Another view. Luckily all of the damage is what you see here in the nose. Behind the firewall is ok. Any ideas on repair? The firewall and motor mount are completely destroyed.

Thanks for viewing, this Cub will fly again!

Last edited by ORD2FRA; 04-22-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Tail heavy
Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 PM
QuietRCFly

Wow! Curious about the CG as I set up mine as per the instructions and it flew great. Not tail heavy at all.

Yes on the orginial kits, the covering was not very good. Mine was worst on the tail feathers, but I got mine mostly ironed out. I beleive this has improved with second run kits.

I am terrible at repairs myself, so I can't off much guidance. I can look at the cost of a new fuse for you, but at that point its almost easier to replace the kit since you would likely need the tail pieces as well.

I like the red tail and bigger wheels FWIW.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Tyrant Blaze
Pull up, pull up, PULL UP

Question Very useful thread, question....

Hi QuiteRCfly

Thanks for doing this thread it is helping me a lot as I am building this cub right now, early crimbo present.

Questions:
1. Did you introduce some right thrust when mounting the motor?

2. I am using a slow fly APC prop 9x4.7, is this the same as a 9x4.7e ?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Old 12-23-2008, 04:53 PM
dogsheep
Banned

A "slo fly" prop uses about 20% more amperage than an "e" prop. "No," they are different props.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by Tyrant Blaze View Post
Hi QuiteRCfly

Thanks for doing this thread it is helping me a lot as I am building this cub right now, early crimbo present.

Questions:
1. Did you introduce some right thrust when mounting the motor?

2. I am using a slow fly APC prop 9x4.7, is this the same as a 9x4.7e ?

Thanks in advance

Chris
No, you do not need to add any right thrust. It should be built in.

The 9x4.7 is a slow fly prop, so no, not the same as dogsheep said. Which motor are you using? While the SF prop would work, I recommend the APC 9x4.5e if you have the recommended motor. And then you can move up to the 9x6e when you are used to the flight characteristics.

I have not flown this plane in a while, but still have it. I am currently building the Hyperion Bird Dog 25e.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Tyrant Blaze
Pull up, pull up, PULL UP

Originally Posted by QuietRCFly View Post
No, you do not need to add any right thrust. It should be built in.

The 9x4.7 is a slow fly prop, so no, not the same as dogsheep said. Which motor are you using? While the SF prop would work, I recommend the APC 9x4.5e if you have the recommended motor. And then you can move up to the 9x6e when you are used to the flight characteristics.

I have not flown this plane in a while, but still have it. I am currently building the Hyperion Bird Dog 25e.
Hi, I am using the recommended power setup from hyperion.
Best get the other prop then. Thankks guys
Old 06-14-2009, 01:36 PM
tz250w

Just bringing this thread back from the dead... I picked up the 10E 2 weeks ago, spent a few hours Saturday and Sunday morning then took it to the field Sunday afternoon.

Using the Hyperion 2213 on a 2100 3 cell (basic "recommended" power set) and a 9x4.5 was okay but I put the 9x6 on and liked it much better.

My kit didn't have any of the wrinkle problems but the hatch took more time than I "enjoyed" to get right and I had the nice matt gray coating on half of the landing gear... Oh well. I adapted a tail wheel I had sitting around and put on some 55mm tires (rough riverbed field).

After taking a bit of throw out of the rudder it flies great, and forever... Easily 15 mins and maybe more out of the 2100 mah battery.

Another club member had a camera mounted on the side of his fuse under the wing and we got a shot of mine in formation.

All in all, not too bad for the money. Flies fine, but I wouldn't recommend it for a trainer. A bit quirky to feel out but once you get the feel it's a blast.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cubarial.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	103265  
Old 09-01-2009, 05:16 PM
ryan_m

Just about to get mine going, couldn't pass them up since they are $69.95 US right now. Also decided to go for a relatively fast cub and got a 1700kv motor that should make around 375 watts. It wasn't much heavier than the Hyperion motor, 20 grams I think was all. Sounds like that might help with the balancing anyways.

Will the airframe hold up to 100 mph?
Should be fun to find out...
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Just about to get mine going, couldn't pass them up since they are $69.95 US right now. Also decided to go for a relatively fast cub and got a 1700kv motor that should make around 375 watts. It wasn't much heavier than the Hyperion motor, 20 grams I think was all. Sounds like that might help with the balancing anyways.

Will the airframe hold up to 100 mph?
Should be fun to find out...
It might hold up, but with the drag from the wing, struts and gear, I doubt you could to it. Its hard to get the Hyperion P-51 up to 100 mph, so I can't imagine you could do it. However, I really want to hear about it if you do. Or if it disintegrates in the air!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 AM
reuben199

Hey, I have just purchased this model secondhand. It has another no brand motor fitted and is running a 10x4.5 slowfly prop. I am using 1250Mah 3 cell lipo's and have had to add 65 grams of weight to the front to improve the balance.
My problem is the previous owner lost the manual, if someone has a copy and has some spare time could they reply with the recommended throws and Center of gravity. It would be greatly appreciated
I went through 2 batteries this morning when I maidened it and after the first tail heavy test flight after which I added the extra weight to the nose it was an enjoyable flyer, a bit slower in the turns than I'm used to and not quite the slow lander that I was expecting but it should be the nice relaxing flyer that I'm looking for, perfect for those last flights of the day during our upcoming summer
I will put my wattmeter on it and see what amps its pulling etc, I have a spare Hyperion 2213-20 so if I need to I can go to the recommended power train.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 AM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by reuben199 View Post
Hey, I have just purchased this model secondhand. It has another no brand motor fitted and is running a 10x4.5 slowfly prop. I am using 1250Mah 3 cell lipo's and have had to add 65 grams of weight to the front to improve the balance.
My problem is the previous owner lost the manual, if someone has a copy and has some spare time could they reply with the recommended throws and Center of gravity. It would be greatly appreciated
I went through 2 batteries this morning when I maidened it and after the first tail heavy test flight after which I added the extra weight to the nose it was an enjoyable flyer, a bit slower in the turns than I'm used to and not quite the slow lander that I was expecting but it should be the nice relaxing flyer that I'm looking for, perfect for those last flights of the day during our upcoming summer
I will put my wattmeter on it and see what amps its pulling etc, I have a spare Hyperion 2213-20 so if I need to I can go to the recommended power train.
Yeah, I used a 2100 and it balanced perfectly. Not a big deal though if you add weight. I may still have a manual. I will see if I can dig it up. Probably won't have an answer tonight though.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:19 AM
reuben199

Hey,
That would be great.
I have a couple of 2000Mah 3 cells but I think they will be too long.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by reuben199 View Post
OK, I found the manual!

These are maximum throws. If you have dual rates, set the lower rate to 60% if you set for maximum throws.

Rudder: 22mm/22mm
Elevator: 17.5mm/17.5mm
Ailerons: 9.5mm/9.5mm

CG: 50mm (2 inches) from the leading edge at the root.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 AM
reuben199

Quietrcfly,
Thanks, That was the information that I was after.
I went through another 2 battery packs today and did a couple of loops and a roll or two. I can also get it to balance with my larger 2000Mah batteries. When I use the smaller 11.1v 1250Mah 15c batteries its reading 220 Watts and 22amps and the battery and 30 amp esc both get warm. When I tried the larger 11.1v 2000Mah 23c pack it reads 260 watts and 24 amps. I will see how it flies tomorrow morning with the 2000Mah pack. I may also swap the motor out to the spare hyperion that I have as I think the Kv's maybe a bit high? and lose the extra 65grams of weight I added to the nose.
Thanks again -Reuben
Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 PM
onegeorge2000

I have a problem also with the struts. On the wing there is Balsa and not plywood and on the fuselage is plywood but aboy 1/4" side. Not big enough. Don't really know how to fix my struts there. Maybe should fly without struts and gently.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 PM
QuietRCFly

I don't remember specfically, but I thought there were specific spots that work perfect on both the wing an fuse. Howver, I don't think they are structurally necessary for the model and I thought about using velcro on one side to make the wing removal easier.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 PM
ORD2FRA

I'm looking for a more substantial cowl than the eggshell Hyperion model. I'm checking to see if the PKZ1126 for the E-Flite cub will work. I tried the Hobbyzone Super Cub cowl and it was too wide.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:49 PM
lucamia

Hello, I have a big problem, I do not have the manual assembly of the piper cub 10 and "Hyperion", could you send me a pdf?
Not be able to assemble it.
thank you very much
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM
QuietRCFly

I no longer have the plane or the manual. You might try contacting Hyperion distributor in your country. If you are in the US it is Empire Hobby at: empirerc.com
Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 PM
lucamia

Thanks anyway for the reply, I live in Italy and I contacted Hyperion, but is not responding.
thanks anyway