Ultrafly P40 Build - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Ultrafly P40 Build

Old 01-13-2007, 04:54 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Default Ultrafly P40 Build

Well, this is going to be a slow build for me I think because I am going to do some body work and paint, and there will be a lot of posts about this plane because of the group buy, but for posterity, here we go!

This kit is sweet! I am very very happy with this model.

I think the foam is beautiful. It is the smoothest foamy I own. The paint and finish are beautiful. It's definitely an olive drab, but distinctly different from the E-flite P47.

I got a painted model but there are a lot of mold marks on some parts. Fortunately, they are all on the bottom of the wing, the bottom of the horizontal, and both sides of the vertical. You can ignore them, but the model is so pretty, I am going to fill them and sand them and then touch-up the paint. The fuse is perfect! So I am going to take my time with this kit. The weather is cold and wet now anyway, so no hurry to fly it (I say that now!! ).

I put up a pic of my E-flite P-47, and the wing from the P40 and a GWS Corsiar for size comparison. The angle of the picture causes the wings to look the same size, but at least you can tell the what the paint and maybe the foam look like relative to some other planes. The P40 Foam is as smooth as it looks on the fuse in that picture! Edit: Actually, you can see the foam better in the parts pic. Look at the fuse.

I am really looking forward to building this plane. I'm sure it will be gorgeous in the air. Oh, and the stickers in the kit seem a lot nicer than the GWS ones. These seem true to scale and are a nice flat image as opposed to a shiny sticker. I think they will work nicely.

So that's about it for now. I'll put up some pics as I go, but like I said, I am in no hurry on this one.

Anyone else that bought one that wants to share a thread, feel free to add in!

Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	closed box.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	21823   Click image for larger version

Name:	open box.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	21824   Click image for larger version

Name:	parts.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	21825   Click image for larger version

Name:	length.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	21826   Click image for larger version

Name:	comparo.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	21827  

Old 01-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Cool! I hope a lot of people post here on this plane. I agree that it really looks good. It's going to be a while before I get to mine. I'm starting on my Richmodels Zero this weekend. Since I ordered a white P-40, I'll have to paint the whole thing. I haven't decided what colors to use yet but I'm leaning towards Olive drab. The only reason I ordered white was so I could paint it and then have the exact color for touch ups later. It will also be interesting to see how people power this bird. I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate the spare brown camo fuselage side that came with mine. Mine may look toatally different than anyone else's

Thanks for starting the thread Andy.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:16 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

That's the only thing I'm worried about ...getting the paint to match. I don't usually worry about that on a warbird, but this plane just seems fresh and new. We'll see how it goes.

Glad you got yours. It IS nice huh!?

Grasshopper, put up a pic or two someplace of your Zero. I almost got a GWS one yesterday while I was waiting to get this plane!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I'll post some pics later today. I haven't started on it yet but will. I won't do a build thread since there's not a lot to build on it. It looks pretty nice. Kind of a sport scale but the quality is good. I like the looks of the P-40 better but the P-40 is just a really cool plane.

Last edited by Grasshopper; 01-13-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I'll post some pics later today. I haven't started on it yet but will. I won't do a build thread since there's not a lot to build on it. It looks pretty nice. Kind of a sport scale but the quality is good. I like the looks of the P-40 better but the P-40 is just s really cool plane.
Cool. I do want a Zero.

This P40 is pretty unique, I think. And nicely done. Stay tuned!
Old 01-17-2007, 04:09 AM
barmonkey

I finally got mine today! After being delayed in customs, failed delivery attempts and closed post office due to the week end and MLK jr day...I have it...Finally. I have been following this thing since September when it was first announced...I was also teased by GWS...a year before that!
Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

It's nice isn't it!? I really should try to find someone with the eP51 too to see how it compares. I might like to get one of those from TH before they sell them all. It just never looks as nice as the P40 that came to my house.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 AM
barmonkey

The Ultrafly P-51 is a very nice kit. I bought one a while back and it is still unbuilt. I'd say it is the same quality as the P-40...much better looking than the GWS P-51. Plus you have 3 spinners...the option for flaps and retracts. From what I hear the retracts are brittle though. I am thinking about using them on a much lighter model in the future. The only drawback I see is that you will need a stronger (=more expensive) motor than a GWS warbird. It looks to me that most end up being 25 ounces or more...whereas a GWS can be under 16 ounces...so forget using a 400xt or Tower-Pro motor.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

I may have to check one out. Thanks. I guess it could be a first Retract plane for me that I could still belly land on the grass if I want (and maybe sneak a landing or two on the pit road early in the morning!). Or I could just build it without any of the extras.

I've had a need to get another P51 since I crashed my Alfa a while back.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:08 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

I did a little prep work tonight. I wasn't sure how I was going to power this baby, but I figured at the manufacturers weight of the low 20 oz area, I would do nicely with a Park 450 I had in the box. I was hoping to come in around 21 oz becasue I wasn't going to put gear on mine.

Well, it doesn't look like this is going to happen. I weighed everything tonight and am projecting about 24oz AUW. Here is my list if anyone is curious.

I am figuring on about 191Wp, but even thi sis an overstement. That's my data logger reading in the E-flite P47. That plane flies very nicely with that power at 25.25 oz AUW, but I am starting to crave a little more power. So if the P40 is going to be only about an ounce lighter, it might not be as powerful as I would like. Oh, the other thing is I want to down-prop this set-up. The P47 is set-up as the manufacturer recommended, but it is technically overpropped. So I am going to lose a few watts/lb.

I'd be happy to hear some opinions. I guess a couple options are to go with the lighter battery, but that would be a pretty shrt flight in the 6-8 minute area. I think this is too short for my taste. The other thng is to pump up the output using a Park 480 or some cheap Chinese import in the same class.

What do youy guys think??

Oh yea, I think I am going to finally get to try some GWS glue. The fuse halves seem to come together pretty accurately, so I feel comfortable working with a contact cement. There is what appears to be a glue in the kit, but I haven't opened it to try to identify it yet. It too may be contact cement (or some other glue anyway).

The other thing is that I looked over my P47 pretty well, and it too has all the mold marks still on it. So i am less sensitive to the ones on the P40. But I think I am going to sand the little ones lightly and fill the bigger ones with spackle and then sand them. Then I am going to spray a mist coat or two if I need to to cover the work. I may actually enjoy tweaking the colors a little. It might give it a little "used" look.

Andy

Name:	weights.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	22180  
Old 01-18-2007, 04:57 AM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Andy

Perhaps if you post your Motors KV, Amp Draw and Prop size/RPM someone might have a suggestion for you.

Most of my GWS Birds are in the 16oz range and are powered by the AXI 2212-20. With an Aeronaut 8.5x6 they are speedy. On an 8x8E <APC> they are a blur.

Best of luck on the build.

Tommy D
Old 01-20-2007, 05:58 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tommytorino View Post
Andy

Perhaps if you post your Motors KV, Amp Draw and Prop size/RPM someone might have a suggestion for you.

Most of my GWS Birds are in the 16oz range and are powered by the AXI 2212-20. With an Aeronaut 8.5x6 they are speedy. On an 8x8E <APC> they are a blur.

Best of luck on the build.

Tommy D
The Kv is 890 and it is rated at 14/18 amps. I just figured everyone knew it already. I was worried that it was over-propped in the P47. Technically, I guess it is. But the results from my datalogger show it hardly broke 14 amps at WOT in flight. The only spike was at launch and that was around 17.1. So it never really put the motor in jeopardy. I may even fly the E-flite prop on this plane. I have a few other similar sizes I want to try on the bench, but it will be something close to that prop.

For what it's worth, I started the build tonight. I sanded the mold marks off the two fuse halves at the seam to get the halves to fit tight together. You can see the small gap left if you don't do this. I also decided to go with the Park 450. I cut the cowl out and the scrap was worth about 9g. And I have some CF tube that will save me another 6 grams versus the fiberglass one in the kit. So about half an ounce right there. Maybe I'll end up closer to 22 oz. That would be a spirited plane with that motor.

Using the back firewall as a mount, I will need to push the motor forward about 1/8" to get a nice fit to the cowl. I think it will also be much easier to mount the motor on the firewall before installing the firewall and glueing the fuse halves.

Another thing I noticed tonight while sizing up the job is that I think it will be smarter to put the servos in while the fuse is apart. It is a tight fit and you will need to tweak things for the wires and to fix the too-tight fit. They should hot-glue in nicely once they are fitted a little better. They mount right next to each other, touching in the servo opening, so the unit as a whole would have a hard time pulling out anyway.

That's about it for now. Oh, I forgot, all this thinking about the P40 all week made me buy a Spitfire today. I guess I couldn't wait to get home from work to start the P40!!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:09 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Hey Andy,

Which Spit did you buy?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:13 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Hey Andy,

Which Spit did you buy?
I got a GWS sloper. I've had a really bad jones to fill, sand, and paint a plane. And i want to try the torque rod set-up on a plane with a straight wing (not a Corsair). So I got the GWS. It was really the $40 shopping cart total including a bunch of MAS props.

I had the Zero in the cart but for some reason i swapped it out at the last minute.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I was just eyeing this Spit. They really did a nice job on it. Wish you could get an airframe only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ParkZone-Spitfir...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-20-2007, 06:20 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Just want to subscribe so I can watch this one.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:25 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Just want to subscribe so I can watch this one.
Welcome! Feel free to jump in!!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:31 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

I was just eyeing this Spit. They really did a nice job on it. Wish you could get an airframe only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ParkZone-Spitfir...QQcmdZViewItem
Man, I hear ya. I like the look of it. It's getting a lot of attention from the fiercly loyal PZ people too.

They did do a nice job. And you know you will get it, so why wait!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:40 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

One other thing. Stay away from ebay. These are the guys I got my two PZ's from. They throw in a second batt and you get free shipping, all for $179. They also ship 2-day priority if I remember correctly. I always got my stuff in NJ from them in 2 days. Same-day order processing.

Good luck.

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Park..._p/pkz1700.htm
Old 01-20-2007, 06:40 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Because I've already got a Spitfire, I just finished my Zero and I've got the Ultrafly P-40, a P-51, Pitts Bipe, Extra 260 and a Gee Bee ready to be built.

So yeah, I need another plane.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:42 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Because I've already got a Spitfire, I just finished my Zero and I've got the Ultrafly P-40, a P-51, Pitts Bipe, Extra 260 and a Gee Bee ready to be built.

So yeah, I need another plane.
You have it great. Once it's that bad, people you know won't bother saying anything anymore!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Oh....and the PT-19 in the closet.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:37 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Just as a FWIW Nitromodels has a nice Spit. Larger then the GWS one for $99 bucks. It flys VERY nice.

Tommy D

Old 01-20-2007, 11:15 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

I like that 48" one. I think I almost bought it a while back but there may have been some confusion about the actual size or maybe somebody had a better deal on it and I was waiting. I can't remember. But after looking at it again, I can't see why I wouldn't still want it. It's a very nice size!!! And looks great too.

P40

I got a little work done on the P40 today. I think this one may actually go pretty quickly once I get some of the riddles worked out. I can see why that P51 is so heavy. I always thought it was the flaps and retracts. But this just seems to be a heavy plane. The parts are all pretty "robust." For example, the cowl is thick and heavy. The control rods are really heavy, and the foam may even be a little on the chubby side. I'm curious already to see what the true AUW is going to be.

I am going to swap the control rods for some E-flite ones I had. They weigh about half as much and save me around 5-6 grams. Same for the wing spar. I will pick up another 5 grams or so of savings by using some 3mm carbon fiber. And after cutting out the cowl, I think I saved about 10g from my preliminary measurements of the parts. So I've already knocked almost 3/4 of an ounce off my projected weight. It's encouraging anyway.

I got the wing mount bolt in one side of the fuse. I put the two rod tubes in. I also put the two rear servos in with some hot glue. As soon as I get the motor mounted to the firewall, I will be able to glue up the fuse halves. I think I will mount the motor and then glue the firewall into one half before putting the two halves together. I had to sand out the width of the servo mounts. And I put a channel on one side to route the wires out. You can see in two of the pics (before and after) that the servos would have kept the fuse from glueing tightly at that spot. I'm guessing there would have been about a 3/32" gap.

You can see the control rod tubes taped toward the servos. They will glue up under the fuse there but I will cross them. The tape is just holding the angle of the tube while it dries. The E-flite rods move so much better through the stock tubes. The Ultrafly's binded pretty badly. I guess you could oil them, but I wasn't using them anyway.

So nothing terribly difficult yet. I looked more at the mold marks, and am really only worried about the one on the side of the vertical stab, plus maybe the stuff on the bottom of the wing and horizontal. I'm not sure if I will do anything about it. Time will tell.

Name:	fat servo.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	22408   Click image for larger version

Name:	flush servo.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	22409   Click image for larger version

Name:	servo mounted.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	22410  
Old 01-21-2007, 02:08 AM
barmonkey

Looks like your P-47 pilot likes what he sees...

Quick Reply: Ultrafly P40 Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16905 seconds with 22 queries